Author Topic: Narrow rod bearings?  (Read 9758 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Narrow rod bearings?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 01:02:28 AM »
Oil additive?. Bo, why?. :-)

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 12:40:15 AM »
The oil I used for many years was Mobil 1 synthetic.  No problems at all with it.  They lowered the zinc or phosphorous content to meet some new and goofy regulation or law.  In response, I brought the metals content up to where it was before by using a zddp additive.

The big end bearing shells showed a small amount of flaking after a year's use.  I did a lot of internet research and a fellow who does oil testing said that ZDDP additives compromise the lube ability of the newer synthetics.  Oil samples were sent to a lab to verify this.  Answering this post reminds me to e-mail them to get the results.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 09:45:52 PM »
Here are a couple of photos of a fixture I used to use to narrow Pinto 1600 rod bearings to the Cosworth "narrow" bearing width.

It was used with a large bore 5C collet normally, or an "accurate" 3 jaw chuck.

If I recall correctly, we took off .120" off the width.    No idea what % that is.    We only did this with Clevite 77 bearings, our first choice.    Other tri-metal high performance bearings would work.    Hope this gives you some ideas.

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein