Author Topic: RIP Grandma Connie  (Read 7901 times)

Offline RIFLEMAN

RIP Grandma Connie
« on: June 19, 2015, 05:23:10 PM »
 It is with a broken heart that I impart the sad news that Grandma Connie Beavers passed the finish line at the big dry lake in the sky at 0950 this morning. She passed peacefully surrounded by those that loved and respected her. As soon as I have information regarding services I will post it here and on FB. The British have a term; "gutted". That pretty much sums up how her family and I feel right now. I have never had the honor of being treated with such generosity and love as I have by both Connie and Nick. Neither have ever had a unkind word to say about anybody. Good bye my friend. I love you.
I'll keep my FREEDOM,myGUNS and my MONEY. YOU can keep the CHANGE!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: RIP Grandma Connie
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 05:30:55 PM »
Ah, Connie, we hardly knew ye.  Nancy and I got acquainted with Connie when she and I were both running in the same class at the salt.  And indeed - she (and Nick) were always fun and helpful and fine competitors - being the best kind of land speed racers that there are.

May she rest in peace.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 05:52:20 PM »
RIP Connie,

Now the motor will keep up with you for however long you keep the throttle pinned.

I'll keep an eye on Nicky and Pat.

J
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 06:01:38 PM »
Connie was one of the first people i got to know when I started racing my busa. I have missed her and Nick on the salt the last few years! RIP Connie
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 06:59:50 PM »
RIP Connie,you will missed. The Gear Grinders were honored to have you in our membership. :-(
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 03:57:35 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 12:46:52 AM »
GodSpeed Connie
Our condolences to your family and close friends from my racing family
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 10:47:48 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 01:46:30 AM »
Dang, she and Nick were inspirations, loved seeing them at Elmo!!
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 03:19:24 PM »
God Speed Connie, it was great to knowing you, always tough and always flat out R.I.P.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 05:31:30 PM »
Here is Connie's funeral information. Please feel free to share around.                           Hollywood Hills, Forest Lawn   
6300 Forest Lawn Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90068   
Viewing: 4-9pm Friday, June 26 - Main Building   
Service: 9am, Saturday, June 27 - Old North Church   
"Motorcycles Welcome"   
http://forestlawn.com/find/

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 09:12:21 AM »
 Saturday we laid to rest a truly wonderful human being. I could easily exceed the character limit on this post lauding praise on our lost Sister in Speed,"Grandma" Connie Beavers-Nicolaides.
I'm not going to do that, gonna keep it short and sweet.
There was never a more kind,generous and loving person. During the all too short 9 years I was privileged to know her,she never had an unkind word to speak of anyone. She was always positive and we all know the brilliance of her smile. A smile that truly came from within. Many that may have suffered the kind adversity she had would have ended up bitter wrecks. But not Connie. Even in her final days the closest thing I ever heard her utter that could be called a "complaint" was the incredible understatement "I don't feel very well".
She attacked everything with an unimaginable vigor. "You are too old to be doing that" were words she simply wouldn't allow to register.
In the film "Worlds Fastest Indian" there is a scene where Anthony Hopkins (as landspeed racing legend,Burt Monroe)says;"Out here you live more in 3 minutes than most do in a lifetime". That was Connie to a T.
 She went to her final rest wearing one of her favorite pink hats,her leathers and boots. At the graveside Nitrous Express Two was fired up and gave a four cylinder salute.
 Good Bye my Friend.

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 03:52:44 PM »
Mike,

I was surprised how lightly it was attended. I will take Quality over quantity every day.

Nick was seemingly in good spirits, maybe it hasn't hit yet.

I'll be looking for you at July Elmo race, we can find a couple fuel samples Sat night.

J
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 12:29:59 AM »
 So I wasn't the only one that noticed? I too will take quality over quantity. As far as Nick,he is not one to wear his feelings on his sleeve. He's an old school Greatest Generation type. Believe me when I say Connie was his everything. His sun rose and set on her. But,the man that he is,he's pulled himself up by the bootstraps and is doing the best he can. Spoke with him today. He sounds good.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 12:34:55 AM by RIFLEMAN »

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 01:52:21 AM »
I missed this thread when it was first posted.

A couple more pictures from SW 2009

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 10:40:49 AM »
There are few that inspire me more than Connie and Nick,---especially about keep on keeping on!!

I just could not bring myself to open this until for I knew what is was going to be about--

a fellow Gear Grinder who LIVED and Loved for as long as she could make that last pass last--in such a manner that inspires and encourages others to follow in their foot steps

---few could ask for more!!     PIP Ms. Connie
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!