Author Topic: What chemical in fire suppression systems?  (Read 16935 times)

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
What chemical in fire suppression systems?
« on: June 15, 2015, 04:55:57 PM »
What chemical is everyone using for fire suppression in car?  Halon?  PKP?  Different for interior versus engine bay?   :?
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 
Racing is the evil modification of insanity.

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
What chemical in fire suppression systems?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 05:06:41 PM »
Sorry I posted this earlier int he wrong area.
What chemical is everyone using for fire suppression in car?  Halon?  PKP?  Different for interior versus engine bay?    :?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: What chemical in fire suppression systems?
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 07:21:28 PM »
I've been using DuPont FE-36, 2 5lb bottles, one for the engine, one for the passenger compartment.

Actually - and gratefully - I HAVEN'T been using it.

You may need more, depending on the class record for the Datsun.  If it's over 200 mph, you'll need additional suppression agent for the driver's compartment.

The rule is 3Q in the book.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline jww36

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 12:24:47 PM »
I gave this quite a bit of thought before I built my '34 Ford C Gas Roadster. I opted for Du Pont FE-36 in cockpit, and Firefox foam in engine bay. Reasoning, in case you have an accidental discharge in cockpit, you don't have a mess. But most importantly, with foam in the engine bay, if you put a rod out thru the block, you are going to have a fair amount of oil going on to hot headers. If using Halon in engine bay, it will put out the fire but once discharged, fire may reignite. The foam not only puts out fire but quenches headers too.
John

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 09:47:34 PM »
  We learned about Firefox the hard way this year. Take the bottles out of the car and store them in a "non-freezing" environment. The only warning any where is one that says: operating temperature 20 deg.- 140 deg. [I think]. Nowhere on the bottle or instructions does it say a simple: "Caution, Avoid placing the bottles in a freezing environment". We got a $300 lesson. Our Halon Firebottle system was fine. Our fault. Just be aware.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: [Ya, we still have beer money].
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 10:04:03 AM »
One of our team members just bought a 10 lb halon system.  Fast and hopefully effective, legal in his Chump and WRL cars, and best yet I didn't have to pay for it!
My understanding is that once the system is installed, we can always change chemicals and the nozzles stay the same. 

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 12:10:39 PM »
Distributorguy, that's not how I remember it. I had to change nozzles. I don't recall the details at the moment but someone will chime in.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline jdincau

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 12:49:16 PM »
The nozzles are different for gas VS liquid systems, also the liquid systems require the nozzles be on a continuous loop back to the bottle to avoid pressure drop at the farthest one.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 01:28:18 AM »
... If using Halon in engine bay, it will put out the fire but once discharged, fire may reignite...
Thanks for the heads-up, hadn't thought about that. I'm a fan of Halon, from my experiences in tractor pulling- but there wasn't any bodywork involved.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 06:43:25 AM »
I gave this quite a bit of thought before I built my '34 Ford C Gas Roadster. I opted for Du Pont FE-36 in cockpit, and Firefox foam in engine bay. Reasoning, in case you have an accidental discharge in cockpit, you don't have a mess. But most importantly, with foam in the engine bay, if you put a rod out thru the block, you are going to have a fair amount of oil going on to hot headers. If using Halon in engine bay, it will put out the fire but once discharged, fire may reignite. The foam not only puts out fire but quenches headers too.
John

I too, have had the very negative experience of an engine bay fire re-igniting after the Halon bottle was empty . . . . .

Halon does not cool off HOT parts.     But CO2 does, as do other chemicals.

Just my 2 cents.
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 01:05:50 PM »
I honestly wasn't aware CO2 was an option.  I have the perfect bottle of that attached to my shop fridge, and no one should need it while I'm gone racing, right???

Offline jdincau

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 02:02:01 PM »
CO2 is an option outside the drivers compartment
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 10:13:17 AM »
I guess we can run a dual system then.  Sounds like a feasible option, safety third as Mike Rowe would say? 
Thank you all for the input!!!

Offline Slide

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 12:01:01 AM »
I just met with the safecraft people. (They are close by to my house and are very nice) I told him that I have a full interior car, with a surge tank and pumps in the hatch.

He suggested a single 10 lb bottle of their FE36 agent, with one nozzle in the back by the surge tank, one on the dash by the driver and then two nozzles in the engine bay...

All of which run by a pull lever.

What's everyone think?

Car is 2.5l  Subaru Sti hatchback, running a E-85 (or e-90 ignite), and I'm hoping to make 186 mph in the standing half mile and 205 in the standing Mile.

I'm not looking to be classed in anything. This is for self gratification. The car will the. Become my dedicated track day car.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 12:16:54 PM »
A pull handle can be tough to find if all hell breaks loose, make sure you put them where you can find them, on fire, upside down in a panic with your gloves on is a whole different world.
This is why I prefer push type & I've been on fire twice.
  Sid.