Author Topic: Fastners  (Read 3713 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Fastners
« on: June 14, 2015, 03:06:44 PM »
Anyone had any BRAND NAME  Main studs fail recently---ie will not come up to torque specs?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Fastners
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 03:33:19 PM »
Not having any problems with ARP products.

Have had some issues with "no name" and "Euro-crap" snapping off for no reason.

Hence the reason I'm insisting on ARP only for my clients.

Has your torque wrench been checked or calibrated recently?     If not, you might want to have it checked out.    Snap-On Tools dealers can get this done for you.

It's pretty hard to check stretch on main studs/bolts.
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 04:19:27 PM »
I can think of only one "BRAND NAME" product such as which you speak of.

I expect the brand is familiar to us all, in which case, I know that Neil is not a fan.

But best to catch it now than between the 3 and the 4 . . .

Sourcing of the "BRAND NAME" product is critical, in that there are knock-offs.

Been down THAT road . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 05:58:59 PM »
I will call their main number and see if the almost Senior  citizens have had any knock off issues.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 01:41:40 AM »
Are you sure the fastener is stretching, as opposed to the mating threads "pulling"?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 11:28:47 AM »
Sparky, did any of them torque?  Pull, measure accurately, reinstall, torque, or try, then pull remeasure accurately.  If they are stretching they should not be elastic enough to return to original length.  Had it happen, was stretching at the base of the threads... the one I had probably missed heat treat....  :|
as always YMMV
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 12:03:04 PM »
All but this one came back up to torque--- this one pulled in the fine thread area of the stud just like Jack said

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 12:55:32 PM »
Well I was using the wrong technique according to the manufacture---they want 3 steps very far apart with the last one being at least 30-40 ft lbs  mine was not one continuous pull on the last step---very wrong technique on my part

I do not think mine was the first time they had had this call.

I still find it interesting that only 1 out of 20 failed with my bad technique.

They were very accommodating --they are sending me a replacement main stud no charge.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 01:05:23 PM by SPARKY »