Author Topic: Additional Course Markers  (Read 11423 times)

Offline tallguy

Additional Course Markers
« on: June 13, 2015, 10:14:07 PM »
It seems to me that additional course markers would be a good idea, primarily for
safety reasons.

After (for example) the first mile, when speeds are substantial, it could be helpful
to have course markers every tenth of a mile, instead of every quarter-mile.  Some
racers have very limited visibility, and depending on things like optical distortion due
to the helmet visor and/or windshield, the view may be quite "fish-eyed", making some
of the course markers quite hard to see.  The intended route should be more
"continuously" (or close to it) indicated, which could help someone make necessary
corrections by steering.   

I suggest -- and would be willing to contribute to a fund for -- many more course markers
along the racing lanes, as well as a dense bunch of the markers at each turnout, so the
drivers/riders can easily know well in advance where to turn out, thereby avoiding rough salt.

Who's with me?  Can we "vote" on this somewhere?  Where should I send the donation?

tallguy

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Additional Course Markers
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 09:20:51 AM »
Last year Ron Main spearheaded an effort to install a bunch more course markers.  The effort went through a heck of a lot of trials and tribulations - including how to make the things be both resilient to the vagaries of weather and safe to hit at speed.  The group eventually made the (in)famous foam rubber-on-a-plastic-pipe dildos (as they were dubbed) and tried putting them out.  The weather didn't cooperate to allow much testing, though.  It took quite a bunch of time to make them, and then bunches more to install the things.  I don't remember the spacing they were trying - whether it was 1/8 mile or 100 yards or what - but the amount of them because quite astounding.

And then there was the issue of what color to make 'em, and how to make them that color (foam chunks a few feet long by four or six inches square don't come in many colors - so they got rattle-can painted once or twice.  And on and on it went.

The concept was initiated by George Poteet's inability to see the sides of the course when he was ensconced in the Speed Demon and going at speed, and the markers were then allowed to be tried for everyone, not just George.  Main's crew and helpers did the manufacture and installation of 'em.  I don't know if there's been a final decision to use them again this year or give the heck up or try something different.  But it sure was more hassle and work and cost than first thought.

Maybe we'll get in put from others that remember the attempt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline dw230

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 10:20:51 AM »
So the blue lines down the side of the course does not give enough of a directional indicator?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 10:51:23 AM »
I believe that a lot of drivers that are not familiar with the layout have problems because they're not looking farther enuf ahead, and are concentrating on the markers that they are going thru.  Their eyes skip from target to target, and that can be confusing.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 11:15:31 AM »
Stan, probably... I would suggest to tall as well as all drivers to walk up to the start line, and look at the track... see where the arrow (formed by the markers every 1/4 mile) is going.  There is usually a reference mountain at the end of the long course... yes I know some of the other tracks don't always have good markers on the horizon... but even in our car that has a very low vision line, you can still see the arrow.  Drive to the pointy end, it gets wider as you get closer. 
If you have to turn the wheel, pull the chute  :roll: 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline salt nut

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 10:52:45 PM »
Denis Manning invented a bunch of great course markers that survived some horrible weather.  I think they were two poles stuck into the ground attached at the top, making a triangle, with a red/green/yellow square flag hanging down that acted as a marker/wind gauge.  I don't know how to insert pics of one of them, but I betcha someone out there can do that.   
Betty Burkland
Montana's #1 Salt Nut

Offline tauruck

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 11:33:44 PM »
What about golf flags?.

You'll even have wind direction.

Just my 2c.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 12:09:50 AM »

Stan's thoughts are likely true.  I think Stainless' approach is probably the best, but you could stretch the paint by painting dashes rather than a solid line.

Another thought would be balloons like at Elmo, placed at the 3 and the 5, double tethered.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 06:05:18 AM »

Stan's thoughts are likely true.  I think Stainless' approach is probably the best, but you could stretch the paint by painting dashes rather than a solid line.

Another thought would be balloons like at Elmo, placed at the 3 and the 5, double tethered.

Floating mountain is a help on the horizon on the down run.  But it is no help on the return run at BMST.

Side line paint is no help to me, but a center black line would be.

I also like the idea of balloons at the beginning and the end of the timing section (the 2 & the 3 at BMST), because being higher, they should be easier to see especially for laydown machines. This should also prevent riders/drivers from continuing on too far (last balloon; time to slow down!)

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 10:24:24 AM »
We had the PVC pipe with a garbage bag markers. Guys that hit them didn't like them much.

Offline DallasV

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 01:58:55 PM »
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline vintageracecar

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 03:12:35 PM »
Last time I closed the container with all the BNI stuff in Wendover, there were hundreds of Foam Markers stored away.
Just like SSS explained above, the leg work was all done by Ron Main and George Poteet. Thanks to donations and sponsors
the came out great and would have worked well. Due to the harsh course conditions last year, some of the markers did not make it.
But it was a Great idea and we still have them. I'll try to attach some pics here.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 03:57:06 PM »
just line the sides of the course with k rails.  then it'd be like lane bumpers for bowling like little kids use to get their ball down the lane.  the cars and bikes will just bounce between the rails to make it down the course.  no visual markers necessary. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline RogerL

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 04:18:49 PM »
how about just putting a line down the middle of the course, like the old days. the usfra did that at the wos last year and it helps a bunch. i, for one, do not like the idea of running into anything, even if it is supposed to be "soft".

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 04:51:31 PM »
How about that after the drivers meeting they follow the officals down the course so they know where the markers and lines are. they are told they can do this prior running. The rookies are required to do this, but still it a good idea to check the courses and turn outs etc.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah