Author Topic: Anyone ever see this car hauler before? 1966 International  (Read 5145 times)

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
Anyone ever see this car hauler before? 1966 International
« on: June 04, 2015, 04:36:27 PM »

I'm hoping the photo copied over?

Its a forward control International chassis with a 450 inline 6 in it.  Modified at some point in its life to be a toterhome instead of ???  If we can make it roadworthy, we'll haul our Datsun out to the salt in it.  Any help identifying it would be great, since we came up blank with a VIN search.  
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 04:50:43 PM by distributorguy »
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 
Racing is the evil modification of insanity.

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Anyone ever see this car hauler before? 1966 International
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 04:40:36 PM »
It doesn't appear to have come through. All I see is the little red X in a square. Is it possible you have to reduce tha size of the photo?

Pete

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 04:51:26 PM »
Funny.  I can see it on my computer.  There is a post here with a photo:
http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?41,2998154

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 08:59:48 PM »
Let me dig through some pictures from Mid America and Brainerd.

I'm thinking it's one of Warren Agor's old haulers, or at least somebody who raced IMSA or Trans Am in the late '70s - early '80s.

Did it come out of New England/New York/New Jersey?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 12:45:50 AM »
Its been in Ohio the last decade or two.  There's a rumor it may have been an LA TV production truck originally, but there's no documentation or photos to back that up.  No photos or documentation at all really.  The owners race Brainerd regularly (we're in MN) and they have never seen it, but they're not old enough to have that much history on the track. 
If you are Chris. I'm Jeff - been trying to get a chance to chat  on the phone recently. 

Offline jpm49c

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 01:28:35 AM »
I think your looking at an old Mobile US Postoffice bus. I saw one at Nate Jones in Long Beach https://www.google.com/search?q=the+Highway+Post+Office+service.&rlz=1CASMAE_enUS525US526&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=677&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 07:51:07 AM »
The Highway Post Office buses all appear to be rear engine, this is a front gas engine.  This one was made in Southern California by a coach builder that used International chassis. These are definitely the closest I've seen!!!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 10:10:09 AM »
Hi, Jeff -

Yeah, that's me.  Been a busy week, and it's not getting slower.

I see that our benevolent dictator, Seldom Seen Slim, has assigned you an address.  East Farklenut, Delaware.

He does that in order to push people into disclosing their location.  It's a good thing, because I think you'll be quite surprised to discover the number of people in the upper Midwest who are involved in this pursuit. 

If you were to go into your profile and change you're address to - oh, let's say "Evil Twin Cities, Minnesota" - you'll likely wind up meeting some of the local secret society of speedy salt seekers that you never realized were there.

I'm heading to my sister's place this weekend - I'm going to go through some of the pics from Mid America, Road America and Brainerd, and see if I can't locate that truck.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 10:56:30 AM »
I couldn't figure out how to change the location, which is why I didn't enter it in the first place.  I'd be happy to do so, when I have a few minutes to find where/how. 
I'd love to see any possible info you can find regarding the toterhome/bus thing.  We'll do more dissecting this weekend to see if any past evidence is hidden under ugly paneling.