Author Topic: New helmet time  (Read 10390 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: New helmet time
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 05:04:21 PM »
I asked about getting different features included in helmets once upon a time.  Specifically I asked for the raised eye port thing, keeping in mind how difficult it is to see ahead when fully tucked in on the two-wheeler.  I asked one or two of the biggest well-known mfrs. and got a story that went like this:

Getting Snell Foundation certification isn't easy nor is it cheap.  Snell requires so many of each style/model of helmet, as I recall, and needs helmets of each size that the mfr. wants certified.  So therefore S M L XL XXL times four product lines, for instance, is 20 helmets if Snell only wants one of each.  If their requirement is for additional units -- it'll cost the mfr. quite a bit to get that cert.  For Bell and Arai, etc, maybe the dozens or hundreds of helmets isn't that huge a deal compared to sales they expect to get because of the cert, but for a small place --= it can be prohibitive.

If the mfr. decides he wants to try raising the eye port he'd have to not only design it to fit within his expected Snell requirements - and no doubt with Snell input -- he'd then have to send another full batch of helmets to get certified.  Say he has to send in 50 - well, fine and dandy, but how many of that special design can he expect to sell?  Mfr. asks sales and sales says "Well, there are a few hundred LSR folks that buy new helmets each year - so a cost of 50 to sell 200 ain't cost effective.

I'll leave it there -- as just an example of what MIGHT be keeping the helmet manufacturers from bringing out those raised eye ports.

Then there's the M vs. SA designation.  I don't remember who it was that told me - other than I think (repeat think) it was someone in the inspector league at the salt - that M and SA are very similar in the cert. procedure except that one of them has a more strict requirement for penetration by a sharp or even blunt thingie -- like a spar or small rod or such.  He went on to tell me that whichever was the more stringent could therefore be used in either type vehicle.  No, I do not remember whom nor which way, but I did hear that story.

There -- I've roiled the pot a bit.  Back to youse guys.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sporty Dan

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 09:50:29 PM »
Back in my drag bike days, I bought a Simpson helmet with a "drag bike cut" on the back of the helmet. They would cut the back of the helmet about half an inch higher than normal so you could tip your head farther. But you had to order it direct from Simpson, not a supplier. I don't know if they still do that. I just checked my old helmet and it has the cut it and an M2000 Snell sticker in it. Again, I don't know if they still do that but it could be worth a phone call.

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 10:46:20 AM »
I will call them again, maybe I was talking to the wrong person, but at least she had the snap to give me a heads up that the SA rating may be a problem in tech.

If they can do the drag bike cut and still put the M sticker I'll buy one. That is what I was asking for when I was told that they would have to use the SA sticker.

I agree with the point that SSS was making about the cost/ benefit "call" for certifying a design change with Snell. I would think that if your in the business of making any product that requires certain certification that you need to get that certification as broad possible, just to give yourself some "wiggle room" on the production side. 

I'd think that if a helmet would otherwise meet all the the "M" requirements, except for the drag bike cut, then maybe that should be taken into account and allowed by SCTA.

I guess that is just the way I see things, and I'll do whatever the sanctioning body requires, and have fun doing it.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 05:07:12 PM »
       The problem with modifying anything that has gone through any kind of certification is that nobody wants to touch it with an OK to go because whoever gives that OK then becomes the certifying entity and in the case of an accident the lawyers would be lined up to I-80 to get the case.
     Just my opinion and that's not worth much.
     Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline pofg

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 03:27:50 PM »
Chaps,
Couple of good points on here... but worth clearing some stuff up.
Firstly a bike helmet and a car helmet are (amongst other things) cut differently at the back of the head.... a car helmet is not designed for the kind of head movement you'd get coming off a bike, it'd break your neck basically I think.... hence you aren't going to get a SA allowed for biking.
Secondly, as mentioned,there are lots of tests required for certification, including impacts around the visor/ forehead area, therefore a slightly varied design is not going to happen as it a) probably wouldn't pass the tests and b) development of a new helmet design is a VERY expensive exercise.
All from my memory (picked up from the wife's family business of making helmets etc) so don't quote me on the above but think I'm mostly right.
Cheers
Rick
Grazing the Gravel Trap of Insanity.

#1133 Flower of Scotland.

Offline rouse

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2015, 08:40:19 PM »
Keep it on point. I was not talking about a car helmet, and I'm not saying reinvent the helmet from scratch, nor breaking anyone's neck.

I was talking about a "M" helmet with a raised visor. These same helmets that are use in other Sanctioning bodies, without problem.

The fit and finish is all "M" except the visor is raised. The result of the design "mod" renders the helmet with a "SA" sticker.

Basically a Drag racing cut "M" helmets have a "SA" sticker. Ask Simpson.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse

Offline pofg

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2015, 03:09:15 AM »
Rouse, you don't want to be asking Simpson anything about "SA" stickers or SFI labels... there is a very dubious story there that I'm not going into in a public forum. Let's just say they are not really the guys to trust on that. But I will bow to your greater knowledge on "cut bike helmets".
Cheers
Grazing the Gravel Trap of Insanity.

#1133 Flower of Scotland.

Offline rouse

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 08:45:59 AM »
If there is someone besides Simpson that has a drag cut helmet with a "M" sticker I'd like to take a look at what they have.

Simpson was on first choice because their shop is only a couple hours from me and I can go there to test for proper fitting.

Trust me it was not a price thing on the choice, I could easily buy two or three other "M" certified helmet for the price of this one.

Rouse

Johnnie Rouse

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 06:11:27 AM »
I also do tech for SCCA, and I've already seen two Snell SA2015 helmets.  I don't remember the brand name, but I know the bulk of them aren't expected to be on the market for several months now.  Since the 2015's weren't supposed to be available until near the end of the year, SCCA amended their rules to allow the 2000's for the rest of this year.  Perhaps SCTA/BNI should consider extending their approval for an additional year.
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556