Author Topic: Physics for Gearheads  (Read 10050 times)

Offline MRK

Physics for Gearheads
« on: June 01, 2015, 01:48:03 PM »
Hey all,
I just received notification that Bentley Publishers has or is about to release a new manual titled "Physics for Gearheads. It sounds pretty cool and at 604 pages is sizable. I tried to post a PDF copy of the flier I received but the file is too big at 1200kb. If you'd like a copy, PM me and I'll send you one or you can go to the Bentley website at bentleypublishers.com.
Cheers, Mike 
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: Physics for Gearheads
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 03:02:50 PM »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline MRK

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 04:15:31 PM »
If it was a 600 page college text book, it would be double that price!!
Check Amazon....62 bucks delivered.  :-D

Offline rbeikmann

• New folks
  • Don't be slow!
    • Physics for Gearheads - Bentley Publishers
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 09:41:29 AM »
Hey MRK and 4-barrel Mike, I'm somewhat biased (being the author), but I think you'd really like it. You don't have to have a physics background to enjoy it, and it gets right into interesting automotive stuff. You can skip the equations if you'd like (there are a lot if you want to use them) and still understand the explanations and diagrams.
Best of all, it's readable but correct!
I put GM's Ecotec SoCal Lakester on the cover because there's nothing more American than running at Bonneville. And you'll find actual data for the Thrust SSC land speed record at Black Rock!
The price is what it is because of how much practical info is in it, and the quality of the diagrams, etc. I've had people say that you can find everything in here somewhere else, but no one has it in one place.
I'd be glad to answer any questions about it.
Author - Physics for Gearheads

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved." - Charles Kettering.
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." - Henry Ford

Offline wfojohn

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 09:49:13 AM »
Rbeikmann,

When I first saw the new topic by MRK, I posted the name of your book on a closed forum pretaining to 2 stroke engines incase anyone might be interested in getting a copy.

Offline rbeikmann

• New folks
  • Don't be slow!
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 04:03:55 PM »
Thanks John!

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 04:12:29 PM »
Randy, welcome to the forum! I got the book this week and just did a quick glance. My first observation was lots of applicable stuff between two covers! There are other texts that have some of the same info and some have way too much chalk on the blackboard but this looks like a good balance. Plus I'm old enough I don't want to try to remember it all - just where to look for it!  :-D

See you on the salt?

Woody
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline rbeikmann

• New folks
  • Don't be slow!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 06:54:03 PM »
Thanks, Woody. I hope you'll find it that way all the way through! I tried to write it as if two buddies were talking about cars, and how physics affects how you drive or design and tune them. The goal was to be casual but precise.

I was actually thinking today of how cool it would be to make it to Bonneville, but I think too much of my vacation is spoken for this year - maybe money too. I plan go to my first F1 race this year at Austin, which my wife is much more willing to go to than Bonneville (and it's our 30th this year)! I know someone at work who's building a car with his dad for the salt, so I need to see when they'll be ready. Maybe next year?

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 10:29:08 AM »
Randy, welcome to the forum!

Plus I'm old enough I don't want to try to remember it all - just where to look for it!  :-D

Woody

Randy,

Welcome to the forum as well!!

I, like Woody, value insightful, informed and creative problem solving over being able to recite formulas from memory . . . . . . .

"Never keep in your head, what you can easily get out of a book."

I'll take a look at your book when I get a chance.

And, BTW, $79.95 is a very reasonable amount for any source which provides a significant amount of useful information.     I would ask anyone who thinks the price is too steep, what they have paid, per hour, for professional services lately.    A plumber charges more, and we know what they deal with . . . . . .  :roll:

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline rbeikmann

• New folks
  • Don't be slow!
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 07:41:20 PM »
Hey fordboy. I completely agree. I discourage people from "looking for the right formulas" or memorizing them, and to think about the situation instead - then they come naturally. I've known people who can memorize formulas but not apply them.

I also emphasize using only the most basic forms of formulas, and not the ones with unit conversions baked in, like HP = torque*RPM/5252. Fewer numbers to keep in your head, plus you can see the meaning better. Simplify!

I hope you like what you see when you check it out!

Offline MRK

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 10:41:34 AM »
Received a complimentary from Bentley yesterday. If you belong to the Sidewinders club here in SoCal, you just might win it.
I'll be donating it as a door prize to the upcoming club meeting on the 16th. I'll also have a copy of the flyer pinned up at the registration trailer this weekend at El Mirage if I'm allowed. Cheers  :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 12:44:27 PM by MRK »

Offline 64avanti

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 02:13:57 AM »
I just got the book.  Being an engineer for the last 40+ years I still collect books that are engineering related.  This book does an outstanding job of explaining things in a way that non engineers can understand.  I think it would make an excellent textbook to introduce high school and Jr college students who are interested in automobiles to physics.

Congratulations on a well done book.

Offline rbeikmann

• New folks
  • Don't be slow!
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 09:17:06 PM »
Thanks avanti, I'm very glad to hear you like the book. We are working on material to use with it in courses for high school and college, just like you say. One high school has decided to use it this winter. Hopefully it catches on elsewhere.

One of my favorite comments so far was from a lawyer who'd bought it. His wife saw him reading it and asked, "Why are you reading that? You hate formulas." He said, "Yeah, but it's interesting!" So if math doesn't do it for someone, the explanations and figures should make things clear.