Author Topic: TDI engine  (Read 53446 times)

Offline SteveM

Re: TDI engine
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 10:02:19 AM »
A 3L Mercedes OM606 (4 valve per cyl), with a modified OM603 injection pump (mechanical pump) and a matched turbo can make a relatively easy 600HP.  The "rule of thumb" for the MB OM60x series engines is 100HP per hole.

The guys I've worked with, and continue to work with in Sweden, have a regular business of "SuperTurbo" engines like this.

Goran Lindgren (Dieselmeken AB) is arguably the best pump builder for these engines on the planet.

Fred Sundstrom (F-Tune Performance in Sweden) builds the engines and accessories (exhaust manifolds, intake manifolds) to go along with the rest of the package.

Petter Lonning (in Norway) has as much or more turbo knowledge as anyone with respect to these engines.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 07:28:01 PM »
So Gentlemen,

I would really like to explore what the options are for 2l TDI engines and performance parts, tuning, know how etc for some records. What's the best bang for the buck as far as engines to start with, turbos, ECU (stock modified ? Or?)
And if anyone would be interested in working on the combination with me😀
I am assuming VW wouldn't be interested in any "Clean Diesel" records right now....
Post it here PM me or send me an email burtonb07@gmail.com
"Live every day like its your last....some day it will be"

Offline salt27

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 08:24:32 PM »
I am assuming VW wouldn't be interested in any "Clean Diesel" records right now....

That is funny.   :cheers: :-D

Offline mergatroyd

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 01:46:43 AM »
Burton,

It looks to me that the H/DS record is relatively attainable for you at 123 and change.  Especially with the H/DT record in the 135 range.

Q

P.S. Thanks for the Miller Weld Tent.
I have no idea what I'm doing... but it seems to be working!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2015, 06:10:55 AM »
So Gentlemen,

I would really like to explore what the options are for 2l TDI engines and performance parts, tuning, know how etc for some records. What's the best bang for the buck as far as engines to start with, turbos, ECU (stock modified ? Or?)
And if anyone would be interested in working on the combination with me😀
Post it here PM me or send me an email burtonb07@gmail.com

Burton, I guess a few exaggerations these days is big SH$$T but all I can tell you is that I drove an Audi 1,8TDi station wagon and at more than 120 it was showing 2,43l/100kph on the onboard. I'm not and never have been a VW fan be it Audi or the other expensive one but the TDi is a no brainer.
I was shocked that a station wagon of small displacement could run the way it did. Remove a few thousand pounds of junk and you'll be breaking records everywhere. This thing was quick and if I had the finances my missus would be driving one.

How many Le Mans victories do the diesels have?. 13 I think.

Robin UK

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2015, 06:45:57 AM »
Car companies cheating test results. Who'd have thought  :-D

Robin

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2015, 01:43:11 PM »
Yes if we started at the bottom end at of the cu inch range and work our way up is fine with me,,,,multiple engine combos are ok too, I might be stealing this from Jack Costello but I think his words were go as fast as you up can with the least amount of $$ is the fun part, anyone with money can generally buy it but that's no real accomplishment.I have a "free"3l Mercedes diesel that could go after that record,,,,,have a 4BT also and a common rail 24 valve that's quite radical but don't really want to start with that,

So With that said 2l TDI suggestions?
Burton

Offline mergatroyd

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2015, 02:42:34 PM »
According to some, the Euro-spec 2010-2014 2.0 TDI Common Rail out of a Golf GTD starts at 170hp, and an ECU flash will put it at 225.  The US Spec is 140hp with a flash to 180hp.

Differences noted are:
"· Turbo Charger; the 170CR (GTD) uses a more powerful Turbo then the US spec TDI.
· Fuel Injector's; EPA and Californian emission regulations are responsible for the nerfed parts in US 140CR's but if you are Euro Spec you're up to snuff...
· Heads; See fuel injectors…
· Pistons; See fuel injectors…
· Connecting Rods; See fuel injectors…
· HPFP; Can be bought at ECS
· ECU; perhaps a different programming to handle that extra torque"

Reference http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=354586&page=3

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2015, 09:16:28 PM »
That's what I was looking for.....So on the hunt for a 2010 and up TDI or a couple engines if anyone has or knows where there are cores  :-D

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2015, 11:56:57 PM »
If you catch another deer on the front of your TDI Cup car, try not to hurt the engine! :evil:
  Sid.

Offline mergatroyd

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 12:23:32 AM by mergatroyd »

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2015, 01:01:19 AM »
Ok,

Don't know if that's a good deal or not.....probably need to see what a guy could do for a complete car that is totaled like the second one.....

And Sid, Ill try not to catch another deer with the cup edition.....I really like the car :-D but it is that time of year where the boy deer are chasing the girl deer around trying to get some....soon. 

Offline bbarn

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2015, 03:32:24 PM »
I installed a window in my 2.0 CR tdi block this morning via a lazy connecting rod... Needless to say, I did a little searching this morning for some TDI replacements. First, there is 1 (ONE) 2009-2015 5th letter "L" OEM long block left on the shelf in the entire VW parts network (World-wide). It is sitting in NJ and will continue to sit there for a price of $6,500....

So, I did a little more research and found a whole market full of used 2009+ motors (2009+ is important as that begins the CR - Common Rail - motor). You can have them anywhere from $1,200-$2,600USD depending on the mileage. I have selected a 2010 model year with 50k on the odometer for $2,400 including shipping to my door. This does not include turbo, ECU, wiring harness...just a long block.

Now, that motor makes 140bhp/239fp stock as advertised (133 whp) with a DSG transmission. Malone ECU tune and a DSG software upgrade with a DPF and EGR delete will get you north of 220hp. Software related expense is only an additional $1200. Since your application is off-road/racing I would simply go with a straight 3" pipe although there is some details about a high-flow cat that may be useful.

The turbo is so small in this thing (impeller is about the same diameter as a quarter!) that without a little backpressure it is subject to over-revving the turbo. Not sure that is a huge problem on a race application but on a daily driver it isn't so good. They say the high-flow cat is enough to prevent it, perhaps a little creating plumbing can be done without the cat to generate the same results.

That said, I am not spending money to go back to stock. I may not do the DPF/EGR delete because of the expense of replacing the exhaust components (new plumbing sans the DPF - $1,400 additional) but I am seriously considering the $1200 for the tuning. That still gets a 140bhp to 200bhp which will make replacing a motor at only 80k a reasonable justification.

If you are looking for performance on a TDI, check out Malone Tuning, they are about the biggest player in the game. They have distributors all over the US and their work is highly recommended from what I have seen. I may have more details to share in the coming weeks about that...we'll see.

(FYI, there is a long story as to why the rod failed at only 80k that has to do with a dealer moron tech and a failed turbo...not worth the lengthy whining rant here  :wink: )

FYI - That second one listed above on ebay includes the turbo. It is a factory installed Borg-Warner that will retail new at $1000. That actually doesn't look like a bad deal.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 03:35:28 PM by bbarn »
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2015, 04:37:58 PM »
Ok,

Don't know if that's a good deal or not.....probably need to see what a guy could do for a complete car that is totaled like the second one.....

And Sid, Ill try not to catch another deer with the cup edition.....I really like the car :-D but it is that time of year where the boy deer are chasing the girl deer around trying to get some....soon. 

We know the name of that tune, don't we Burton!
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2015, 02:12:21 AM »
Yeah Woody that was #1 with a Jetta  :-D, Seem to remember you were a passenger ......

#2 was with the 2010 TDI Cup edition......I seem to attract deer.....Maybe I should start hunting?

Got one with the Motorhome a couple years back....all we had to do with that one is pull the hair out of the bumper.... 

3 more in previous history but one attacked the truck I was driving so not my fault.....

Burton