Author Topic: TDI engine  (Read 53447 times)

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
TDI engine
« on: May 30, 2015, 02:40:09 PM »
Hey folks,

I am exploring the opion of putting a Jetta TDI 2L in my Streamliner.

A couple questions:

1) Whats the best engine to start out with?
2) anybody know what kind of HP and torque they can make?
3) Anyone interested in collaborating on a project or being the tuner?

The current record at Bonneville I believe is 146.....kinda soft I would think. The 2L NA gas record we are currently going after is 260 :-D
Shoot me a message if you have any answers to the above
Thanks
Burton
"Live every day like its your last....some day it will be"

Offline sabat

Re: TDI engine
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 05:21:25 PM »
I have a 2013 TDI that had its ECU flashed to produce about 165hp and 290ftlbs with no mechanical changes - and kept its 50mpg on the highway. One of the best tuners might be Malone Tuning - Google him, he might be interested in a collaboration, and will certainly tell you a lot about the possibilities and prospects. 146 for a 2L diesel streamliner seems within reach? good luck, Dean

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 05:58:06 PM »
Dean,

Yes I have a 2010 TDI Cup edition (6 speed) also. Love it. It has some work done to it Exhaust and AirBox but dont know if the guy I bought it from did anything with the ECU, but it is rather quick and most people that ride in it are impressed. I get over 50 on the highway yet as well.
Ive heard of them and I will see if he is interested.
Thanks
Burton.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 12:20:45 PM »
Just as a point of reference, we are running in H/DT (1.5L VW engine in a Dodge Rampage).  We ran 135.003 at Bonneville last year with 167 HP at the wheels.

Since then, we have increased the fuel and turbo boost. My estimate is that we are around 200HP right now. This past weekend, we ran 135.6x at The Ohio Mile.  I think that with our current setup, we should be able to run about 145 mph at Bonneville.   That's in a diesel truck, with 1.5L displacement.  In a streamliner, it's anyone's guess how fast it would go.

We are also building a G-class engine to run in the same truck.  The plan is for the G class engine to make on the high side of 400 HP.  It will be a de-stroked Mercedes OM604 engine. (16V diesel displacing about 199x cc's).  That kind of power should put any decent streamliner into "Red Hat" territory.

I had been looking into TDI's to build for G/DT, but the MB diesel engines have a more solid foundation for making big power, and there are plenty of "tuners" in Europe who make this kind of power (100HP per cylinder) with MB diesels.

Feel free to ask any questions that I might be able to help with.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline SteveM

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 12:23:12 PM »
If you are looking for a partner, I'm all ears, and may be able to provide some of the needed "hardware" to go fast with a small diesel engine.

How fast do you think your liner would go with a 200HP 1.5L diesel?

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 12:24:53 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, but do you have pics of your 'liner?  I may have seen it in a build thread, but my ability to keep track of people and their vehicles is not great.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 08:08:10 PM »
That's a very slick looking 'liner.  :-o

It would be VERY fast, even with a 1.5L diesel.

Current H/DS record is slower than the H/DT record (just for reference sake).

Steve.

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 12:04:41 AM »
Hey Steve,

Sorry I didnt answer have been working lots to go play and forget I post stuff like this....
Anyway Im at Elmo getting my Rookie stuff this weekend. Shoot me an e-mail to burtonb07@gmail.com

Offline SteveM

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 07:00:30 AM »
Best of luck at Elmo. :cheers:

I'll be in touch - heading out for a bike ride right now.

Steve

Offline vwpsycho

• Potter Bros Racing
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 03:19:34 AM »
My $.02:
The Volkswagen Common Rail TDI two liter inline four released in the 2009 Jetta in the U.S. is plentiful and produces 140 HP/236 TQ in stock form. It has a nice 16 valve layout and over 20,000 PSI injection pressures. Just eliminating the insanely complex US 'Bin 5' emissions system allows it to produce 170 HP in European form. The U.S. Engine has no fewer than 7 (!) electronic throttles and 3 catalysts. Just paring the engine down to its basic form, then replacing the microscopic stock turbocharger and plumbing with a compound turbo setup, one could expect 300-400 HP, depending on the resources available for electronics tuning and injector upgrading. If the SCTA had a category specifically for diesel production cars, I'm confident our Passat could easily make 190 mph with this engine without much difficulty.

Abe
Abe Potter
Salt Lake City
2571 G/PS Volkswagen Passat

Offline SteveM

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 09:57:14 AM »
Sorry for the delay in responding.  I'm still at a trade show right now, will be back home tonight, and back in the office Monday.

Enjoy your Father's Day weekend, guys.

Steve.

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 12:42:10 PM »
Considering the cost and complexity of buying/pairing down/modifying a CR TDI, you may want to look at the A4/B5 TDI family... No DFP, less electronics, and still very capable of making big power. An old Navy buddy turned a stock '03 TDI Jetta into 60+mpg, 300hp/430ft lb. on the (relative) cheap. Different fuel maps/boost settings were easily interchanged depending on desired conditions. Think he used Malone or APR.
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 04:29:28 PM »
Ok Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the info. what I was looking at (and was silly not to come out and say it) I assume the older 1.9-2L TDI's are two valve and the newer ones (2009+up?) are 4 valve? Wondering if either one might be better with port work thus my question which one would be smarter to start with?

Redhotracing can you put me in touch with your Navy Buddy? I happen to have an 02 Jetta Donor engine for free....
vwpsycho if you can get in touch of me too that would be great....

Yes I think if a guy can make close to 400HP one should be able to go close to 300MPH in a liner.... Not saying mine will, but if we copied someones body maybe we could get close.... I think the record is 147   :-D The 3L record is 199. How about a 3L 5 cyl Mercedes engine? Sounds like a power plant to get into the 2 club waiting to happen?
Either way a 2L or 3L should be over the 200MPH mark....
Could be a Kiwi friend could help me out  :-)

For now just Diesel dreams....   :mrgreen:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 05:29:19 PM »
I think I could speak 5 cylinder German, how hard could it be!  :-D
  Sid.