Author Topic: The Electric S10 build  (Read 25002 times)

Offline d55guy

• New folks
Re: The Electric S10 build
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2015, 09:47:12 AM »
Kerry, a copy of the rulebook and a few sample photos would probably really help. Most shops who normally do drag race or oval track cages are going to feel you're going overboard but the requirements have been developed over the years through a series of unfortunate circumstances which nobody wants repeated.

Pete

Hey Pete,
  I sent them a copy or the DRLA rule book but making a photocopy of the SCTA pages is a good idea.  I wish the SCTA book was available as a digital copy.

Thanks,
Kerry

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2015, 10:28:10 AM »
Sure, i'd be glad to.

I currently have 2 packs from wrecked chevy volts in the back of the truck and room for 2 more. Each one can put out over 400hp:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HYrhykqpyj4

The Shiva is the most powerful EV controller on the planet:

http://www.evnetics.com/evnetics-products/soliton-shiva/

Those two things together mean that I can send up to 1600hp to the motors.   Keeping the motors from melting under those power levels is a challenge though.

Kerry

Thanks Kerry. That explanation really helped turn on the lights.  :-D :-D 8-)

Pete

« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 04:46:47 PM by Peter Jack »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2015, 01:45:03 PM »
Kerry, I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that you invest the ten bucks it'll cost to get a copy of the SCTA rulebook - and have it sent directly to the shop that'll be building the cage for you.  And I'll go further and suggest that you get written confirmation, right on the purchase order (and be sure to make one so you've got records), that if it does not meet LSR/SCTA specs that they'll bear the cost of redoing/changing, not you.  Kind of an "I told you so" proposition from you to them.  Specify that they HAVE to do it right the first time.

I get kinda shaky when I hear about shops that haven't ever built a LSR-okay cage - building cages for our kind of racing.  A rulebook in the hand might be even more respected by the shop than a photocopy of it.  And that way they could see other information that you might not have included when you were making the copies.

Hey - it's only $10 (well, plus some shipping, I suppose).  Get two or three books for that shop - as I say: one for the shop, one for the office, and one for the back of the toilet in the men's room.  In the long run you'll be the benefactor.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline d55guy

• New folks
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2015, 06:21:48 PM »
So I am back in civilization and hope to get working on the project again next week.  Hiking around the bottom of the Grand Canyon has given me plenty of time to think.  For the axle I have decided to go with a ford 9 inch.   For the price it would cost to to make the 7.5 safe I could have a much stronger 9 that could survive the Shiva on tarmac.

http://www.quickperformance.com/9-Ford-Housing-Axle-Package-S10-82-04_p_4027.html

I did find a 9" 2.47 ring and pinion but I decided to use a 3.5 and a 51% OD.  For the OD I am going with a divorced  NP205 running in reverse (the input connected the output yoke and vice versa) to just power the rear axle.

I know of two crawlers that have used a t case like this. I am concerned about the reversed thrust loading but the 205 is a very stout case with people dumping over 3-4000ftlbs, even in reverse.  It will hold but who knows for how long.

For the cage the shop had a rush project and they just got back to me so I am back on the fence about building my own or paying someone else.

Kerry

Offline Frank06

Re:
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2015, 08:42:39 PM »
You will need forced air cooling for sure for the motors... I'd be planning for pavement events: 1/2 mile or mile. 
E-Racer

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2015, 10:46:41 PM »
The 205 has symmetrically shaped gears so the strength is the same in either direction.
Running it backwards won't give you 51% over, it will be 96% over because it's nearly 2 to 1 in forward direction.
  Sid.

Offline d55guy

• New folks
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2015, 05:11:32 PM »
Hey all,
  Sorry for the lack of updates but I have been too busy building.  Back in mid July I saw the writing on the salt so I built up the shell for standing mile events instead of Bonneville.  I still want to race at Bonneville but when USmile announced a event I changed course and started building.  I paid a shop to build a 10 point cage and then spent the next 7 weeks thrashing on the truck to get it done.  I finished it the night before the race but on it's first run with only half power I set a speed of 150mph which is a new top speed for an electric truck.  I put some of the videos on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/d55guy/

I highly recommend the shots of the motors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm92vn0I1r0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgPLRmvoxfY

The transfercase.... er...  overdrive worked great and I was only turning 3100rpm at 150mph.  I wasn't able to get the shifter built in time so I simply ran the whole way in OD (51% with 3.07 rear).  Unfortunately my charger blew up the night before so I only had 2 out of 4 banks charged.  I upped the current to 2300amps on my second run and broke the front motor coupler peaking at 850ehp (Thank goodness for rev limitiers :)  I think of the truck as the worlds most exciting battery dyno, and the batteries passed with flying colors.  Once I install my other 2 banks I'll have the potential for 1400ehp.  Overall I am really happy with the result.  I learned a lot and I am sourcing another motor (still drives fine on one :) adding another motor brace.

Kerry

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2015, 10:51:01 PM »
Kerry, updates aside, congrats on the accomplishment.  When you are thrashing you are not expected to stop and update the rest of us.  We are infowhores  :-D when it comes to what others are doing.
Fix it and get back to racing  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2015, 06:28:53 AM »
 :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!