Author Topic: Prayer Request: Bob Hellmuth in ICU  (Read 3581 times)

velocity

Prayer Request: Bob Hellmuth in ICU
« on: May 27, 2015, 07:42:46 PM »
Anyone who has read Bonneville Racing News throughout the years knows the byline of Bob Hellmuth. He has contributed stories and photos on Bonneville events and written a variety of other stories throughout the years. He is often on the salt with his brother John.

I met Bob many years ago when he was still a powerhouse in the Federal Government working to set safety and emissions standards. Because he is such knowledgeable gear head, Bob was invaluable working with the SEMA technical group I worked with  to make aftermarket manufacturers part of the air quality solution, not part of the problem. In short, the guy is seriously enthusiastic hot rodder who for years worked to keep the hobby in good stead from the Federal perspective.

For all his time and talk in celebration and defense of racing, of hot-rodding, it is now its our turn to offer up a few words.

He recently has knee replacement that went very well until an infection snuck in somehow. Building slowly, it slapped him down hard and he was rrushed to emergency room where doctors worked to stabilize him. That done and his heart rate calm, they moved him to ICU this morning and have intentionally sedated him in order to get a grasp on the pesky infection.  

Marsha, his exceptionally wonderful wife called me from his room at Missouri Baptist Hospital in Creve Coeur, Mo. I mentioned this forum and she asked me to alert his racing pals and readers to the situation. She asks for your prayers for Bob's return to health.

I am sure Bob would really like to make another trip to the salt
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 07:54:08 PM by velocity »

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: Prayer Request: Bob Hellmuth in ICU
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 05:56:32 AM »
Bob is a real nice guy, had some great talks with him at the salt.

wish him all the best that he can overcome this critical situation and get back his health, so he can show up again at the salt.

Bob, stay crazy, stay upright....all the best
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline KathyO

• KOB Racing
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 05:21:47 PM »
Our thoughts are with you, Bob, for a speedy recovery.
We will see you and John at the salt.
Kathy and Carl Olson

velocity

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 11:19:12 AM »
God loves Bob Hellmuth!

He called me today, from his bed in ICU no less, sounding pretty pummeled but still standing. Reported that he will be transferred to a normal room for a few more days, but doctors figured out what was attacking his system. Seems the very meds being given to fight an infection contracted from his knee replacement surgery were actually toxic to him in a small way, but the daily injections slowly built-up and finally knocked him off his feet.
His lungs took a big hit.

He sends his thanks to those said a prayer on his behalf.

I thank all of you as well. this is a good guy who got dealt a bad hand for a while.

velocity

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 03:19:33 PM »
Had a nice visit with Bob Hellmuth at the hospital. He off life support, but still has weeks of rehab before he can sleep in his own bed.

His message to all who said a prayer and wished him well (delivered with a big grin) l:  I ain't dead yet!

a good day in the midwest. . .