Author Topic: New Ball Bearing - Greaseless Uncaged  (Read 4058 times)

Offline Vinsky

New Ball Bearing - Greaseless Uncaged
« on: May 27, 2015, 09:46:23 AM »
Just when you think ceramic wheel bearings the in thing, here comes a new invention. Anybody willing to experiment?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN0vhXGVHnI
John

Offline Jack Gifford

Re: New Ball Bearing - Greaseless Uncaged
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 02:14:58 AM »
Certainly clever. I'll wait to see empirical data.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline gas pumper

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 04:56:44 PM »
I worked at Hyatt Bearing in the late 60's. They were still rebuilding engine roller bearings for large radial Air plane engines. Rebuilding air craft engine bearings was done by regrinding the races and fitting new oversized rollers. Every bearing had a serial number and a folder in the files.

One of the stories of how Hyatt won the war (WW2) was coming up with an outer race that was ground with a relief where the rollers were sliding from the tremendous loads. Thus spreading that single contact at the pressure point to two or more rollers and relieving the stressed one at the contact point. 

This was with bearings that the outer race was stationary in the engine crankcase. 

The idea was thought of by an grinder operator on the floor, the shop legend went.

Frank
Crew for 608 AA/GL.
Crew for The Flying Seven, 7207, XO/GCT, V4/FCT Loring.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 12:35:10 AM »
I want to see what the balls do when there is a shaft through the ID and there is a load on it. Can the little slot keep the balls from all moving to the opposite side of the bearing?

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline tallguy

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 12:00:06 AM »
Frank (gas pumper), I have a tremendous interest in what you posted, but
could use a bit more explanation, in order to better understand.

This may seem strange, as I am a mechanical engineer, as well as an
inventor.

Do you mind providing a more detailed (or graphic) version, please?

Thanks in advance.

tallguy

Offline gas pumper

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 11:04:33 AM »
tallguy:  Sure, But my memory might be a little off. The problem with the big radials was tremendous loading of a large, 7 or 8 inch, roller bearing on the crankshaft or maybe in the propeller gearbox. Hyatt refurbished the bearings when the units were serviced on the FAA (?) time schedule. And there was a government inspector who was there to do the paperwork. He had his own desk.

Some one thought to stop the issue of the roller skidding across the area where the load was the greatest that grinding the race oval a slight amount would take the overload away from that contact point and spread it over the adjacent areas. And I believe this issue came about during the war as the power output kept being increased for more performance. I think this may have been the B-17 engine or the B-24 engine, but may have been the multi row B-29, I just don't remember.  One that was still being used somewhere into the 60's.

So the inner portion of the outer race needed to be oval and the outer ring needed to be round. The outer races were held in a chuck on an internal spindle grinder.

The tooling solution was a spider fixture to deform the outer race into the oval shape. It may have been only a thousand or two, I don't remember. Than the inner surface ground round again with the outside deformed. And recording the diameter.  When the spider is released the race returns to a round outer surface and the inside takes the oval. The area of oval was marked so that the install of that area was in the spot of high loading.

The inner race, being the one on a shaft, was kept round and reground and it's diameter recorded.
Than new rollers selected to have the running clearance right. 

I believe that while I was there there were no new bearings being made of this type. All the ones we we had were rebuilds of the used stock supply.  And production did not run on a continuos basis, but when enough units got backlogged they would do a run of them. 

Frank
Crew for 608 AA/GL.
Crew for The Flying Seven, 7207, XO/GCT, V4/FCT Loring.