Author Topic: Experience with other types of racing.  (Read 6149 times)

Offline DaveB

Experience with other types of racing.
« on: May 25, 2015, 10:05:50 AM »
From conversations in various topics I see that many folks here have a lot of other types of racing and building experience. Like Kansas Bad Man's drag racing builds.

Anybody interested in talk about past or present experience.
Everything I know about opera, I learned from Bugs Bunny.

Offline sabat

Re: Experience with other types of racing.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 11:42:32 AM »
Like a lot of folks I think, I drag raced nitrous and turbo engines for a few years, in my case motorcycles. Fun stuff, but it was exhausting to go to the track twice a week all season. In 2007, after melting one too many cylinder heads trying for a 7s pass, I thought, why not work in the garage just as much, but only race a few times a year? Amirite?  :-D  Dean

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 01:55:26 AM »
Started semi-serious autocrossing with SCCA in 1970.  Was severely limited by Air Force three striper pay.  TR-4A, Austin Cooper S and a '66 Lotus Elan (man, I wish I still had them!)

Mid '80's I did a lot of off-road hill climbs.  Had an old  V6 Jeep that I had fully prepared.  It could darn near climb walls.  I used to enter the V8 paddle classes on street tires.  PO'd a lot of people! :evil:  Tons of trophies, all worthless and they saw the dumpster years ago.

Early '90's I got back into SCCA autocross.  Won two state championships.  Another waste of time.

My current build is my first attempt at an all out, purpose built race machine.  It may be small but it's being done right (for once).  It's ironic that I'm building such a small bike after being inspired by a bumper sticker that read "Go big - or go home"

Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline DaveB

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 09:33:39 AM »
Thanks fellas! Anyone else?

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 11:24:20 AM »
DaveB;

In '72 & '73 I crewed for Bob Peckham's McLaren M8C Can-Am car. No sponsor, best finish was 6th at Riverside.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 01:39:45 AM »
Not "racing" per se, but my "motorsport" for almost 20 years was mini-modified pulling.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline DaveB

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 08:45:47 AM »
I always wondered why the front wheels on those things were so dinky. I think you were going for some aero advantage but your future wasn't clear yet.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 01:00:18 PM by DaveB »

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 02:30:26 AM »
Obviously, the front wheels/tires don't have much of a task on a modified puller. What's not so obvious is that a lightweight machine has the advantage of having more moveable weight- more adaptable to varying track conditions- move weight to rear on "junk" tracks, etc. When I ran the all-aluminum hemi I had almost 300 pounds of moveable weight in the 1,800 pound class- a huge advantage.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline tauruck

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 03:05:36 AM »
Ex semi professional F2 driver.
Won races I never had a budget for but don't have any good memories to be honest.
There aren't enough pages on this forum for a story on my career. :x

Offline Sporty Dan

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 08:32:22 PM »
I drag raced a Harley sportster for 10 years at Pacific Raceway in Kent, WA. Won 5 track championships in that time. Looking back I would have taken some of those weekends off to go camping or to the beach with my oldest. Time I won't get back. :-( I stopped drag racing when my youngest was born. Kids got expensive! I figure one race a year to get my speed fix will be ok.  :-) And I'll have time with this kid I missed out on with his older brother. Don't want to make the same mistakes.