Author Topic: bought a rule book still lost  (Read 7412 times)

Offline junkcarguy

• New folks
bought a rule book still lost
« on: May 24, 2015, 02:37:50 AM »
ok so i bought a rule book and am lost as to the definition of modified partial streamlining would love examples can i build a front fairing if so what are the limits. tires do they need to be tubless guess im looking to build a 175cc mps-bg bike. am i able to take the engine i have thats less than 175cc out to 175cc or is that what i have to start with sorry for all the rookie questions but my rule book didnt explain a whole lot to me 

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: bought a rule book still lost
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 09:30:26 AM »
 the definition of modified partial streamlining would love examples can i build a front fairing if so what are the limits.

If you are  building your fairing the limits are defined in 7. F. 12 If you have a specific fairing question after reading that section 20 times please ask it... yes, I usually read them, then think about what I want to do, then read them, think, read them, ..... well you get the picture

tires do they need to be tubless guess im looking to build a 175cc mps-bg bike.
The tires do not need to be tubeless, but they do need to meet the speed spec. for the record speed.  If there is no record you may be limited by the speed rating of your tires.  They don't like it when you exceed safety specs

am i able to take the engine i have thats less than 175cc out to 175cc
Yes... in fact if you want to run it in the 250 class all you have to do is exceed 175cc

Have fun with your project

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 09:37:25 AM »
Stainless & junkcarguy:

The post is in the BMST column and i think you are talking about SCTA rules.  Should we ask for a clarification from the JCG before going on?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 09:48:07 AM »
Ya know when I saw he bought a rulebook, I didn't look.  The BMST rules are on line.  Their rules are a little different but not that much.  In modified you are allowed motor size changes, but not in production.  Fairing rules are similar.
Same advise applies, read and reread, don't read into the rules.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 10:15:22 AM »
Same advise applies, read and reread, don't read into the rules.

When I've had problems understanding it's always been because I was reading something into the rules.
The rules are black or white, yes or no.
I've been pushing the rules in my build while being very careful not to exceed them.  Heck, that's the fun of it!

Pay special attention when you see qualifying phrases like "from the side" or "the widest part of".  They mean exactly that.  Nothing more - nothing less.   
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline 631

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 11:22:04 PM »
If you intend to run the BMST the AMA supplemental rules are on the BMST and AMA sites. This will be your AMA guide. An MPS bike within the rules is defined as: first a production bike, see chapter 4.  Then your chosen changes must be among those allowed for a modified production bike ,see  chapter 5  and finally add in your allowed changes for partial streamlining,  chapter 6.   In summary the modified class "... is designed to advance the efficiency of production motorcycles"...  The MPS is a modified bike with fairing as defined in chapters 5 & 6.  You should find the AMA and SCTA rules similar so you can run under either sanctioning body without major changes.  Drew Gatewood our AMA / FIM technical steward for BMST monitors Landracing and is a good source for answers to questions.  enjoy your project and see you on the salt.  Rex

Offline Pippi2

• "Do or do not.... there is no try"
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 12:06:55 PM »
Here is our contact information:
Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials
20126 Ballinger Way NE #93
Shoreline, WA 98155

Tech questions: tech@bonnevillespeedtrials.com
Bike numbers, registration and general questions: linnea@bonnevillespeedtrials.com

Here's our website (where the free rule book is posted):
www.bonnevillespeedtrials.com

Check us out on Facebook too!
Hope to see you on the Salt!
-Linnea

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 08:03:06 PM »
Regarding the tires..................I like the SCTA rules..............but AMA allows YOU to decide if your tires are safe.......so no speed requirements. If you enter the Classic category of bikes '56 - '80 you are allowed a 50-thou overbore from the class maximum on each cylinder.
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre