Author Topic: Memorial Day 2015  (Read 2266 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Memorial Day 2015
« on: May 23, 2015, 07:19:24 AM »
Happy Memorial Day (weekend), girls and boys.  Nancy and I send our thanks to those that are being remembered this weekend be they members of the armed services or people that were close or important to us and have died, or perhaps they were simply great people that deserve to be honored by us.  After all -- remember that that Memorial Day was once called Decoration Day* - that is, to honor those that have been decorated with ribbons and badges and certificates of honor.

*If you're old enough to remember the holiday being called Decoration Day -- well, you've got a pretty good memory for an old fart (like me).

Whatever you call this holiday -- please be safe, and have some thoughts for those who deserve to be remembered, and have a fine time, too.  The flag is out on the porch here in Skandia, Michigan.  Is it at your house?  I'll take photos of the flag display in Marquette at the American Legion post.  I'm very proud to say that Nancy and I - in the guise of our laser engraving company - have taken quite a part in getting the more than 100 flags, each personalised with someone deserving of being remembered, ready and up for all to see.  I'll take a photo or two Monday, when they're all on display, so you can see them.  It's quite a sight.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Jessechop

Re: Memorial Day 2015
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 09:13:17 AM »
And in Northern Maine this morning, seriously....yes seriously

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 10:50:38 AM »
at least it's not the spring event weekend.
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 12:13:06 PM »
Jon;

Your comment "After all -- remember that that Memorial Day was once called Decoration Day* - that is, to honor those that have been decorated with ribbons and badges and certificates of honor." is not quite correct.

"Decoration Day" was a day set aside to decorate the graves of veterans with flags and flowers. When I was a little kid I walked on a railroad bridge across the West Fork River with my grandmother to a cemetery on the edge of Weston, WV to help townsfolk put out flags and flowers. It was a solemn occasion, businesses did not take advantage of the holiday to run sales.

Good for you and Nancy doing the flags. More people need to remember what this day really means.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 12:36:20 PM »
Jon- Thanks for your post and the patriotism you and Nancy show this Holiday.

Neil- I agree with your version of Decoration Day. This coming Monday morning My 11 year old grandson and I will go to the city cemetery to join with the VFW and AL folks for the annual Flag raising ceremony and Decorate the graves of all veterans that have served our great country. I've done that with him since could walk.

By the way, our cemetery also has Confederate veterans of which their grave will be decorated with the appropriate Flag.

Hope every one has a safe Holiday and take a moment to recognize what it is really about.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 01:59:11 PM »
My grandfather on my mother's side owned a monument company, and from mid March until this weekend, it was crunch time to pour foundations and set stones before Memorial/Decoration day.  He referred to it in both forms.

He was on a first name basis with virtually every sexton in Eastern Iowa.

My father would help him out on weekends, and occasionally, I would tag along.  I spent what would probably be considered an inordinate amount of time in cemeteries as a kid.

While my grandfather and my father worked, I would roam around, and took a particular interest in the cast grave markers indicating which conflict a person was involved in.

We would get together on Memorial day and go to the Bohemian Cemetery, now known as the Czech National Cemetery in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.  All of the plaques would have flags inserted in them.

There was typically a short service, and we would go over to my mother's family plot.  Needless to say, given my grandfather's profession, it was always well maintained.

There was one grave in the family plot with a bronze marker - my grandfather's brother, Otto.  I'm pretty certain he was born in the United States, but he died in the conflict in Europe.

My grandfather, during the war, wanted to enlist.  At the time, he was working for Wonder Bread, and his job was considered crucial to the war effort.  It never sat well with him that Otto was lost, and he stayed home.

Before my great grandmother passed away, she attended a Christmas Eve get-together on my father's side of the family.  This would have been in the early 1980's.  Probably 25 people, mostly family and friends from my father's side.  

My great grandmother spied a face from across the room, a woman she had met during World War II, and a friend of my father's aunt.  Both were Gold Star Mothers, and they chatted for better than an hour.

Kate and I will be making a trip out to her parent's grave this weekend.  Jim, her father, served in the Coast Guard during World War II.

The flag has always been in straight, but I want to check it, anyway.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 02:51:01 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 02:58:46 PM »
Neil - and Johnnie - - thanks.  I don't think I've ever heard it explained that way.  I will defer to your greater knowledge of the holiday.  I've learned something here on the Forum today.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 07:03:27 AM »
I'd have to say Neal is the expert on protocol, I just know how I treat the day.
It's a perfect opportunity to spend some reflective time with the next generation on the true value and price of freedom.
Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.