Author Topic: Camping  (Read 11784 times)

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
Camping
« on: May 22, 2015, 06:27:53 AM »
I'm sleeping in the back of our rental van with my buddy Mexican John, at "the Bend in the Road" as money's a bit tight coming from the UK with our bikes. Can't wait, roll on SpeedWeek.
Don't push me, I'm close to the edge.

Offline lsrjunkie

Re: Camping
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 11:33:09 AM »
I'll be there as well! Come on by for a beer or two, or three...

All I have to do is finish the car now!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline mbuk

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 01:17:06 PM »
Roll on SpeedWeek

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 07:33:15 PM »
Ill either be there or up on the hill. Camped with Sparky in 2013 up on the hill. Flying solo this trip

Offline mergatroyd

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 01:13:50 AM »
We are camping at the bend...  Fork KOA and I have bikes to build, not hotels to rent. :dhorse:
I have no idea what I'm doing... but it seems to be working!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 11:07:30 AM »
The Wendover KOA sucks, there power supply blew my rv converter. The service sucks as well.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sporty Dan

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 01:44:49 PM »
Is there still going to be camping at the museum parking lot? That's where I'm planning to stay if it's still going to be available.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 01:51:50 PM »
Good question, SDan.  I guess I should ask Mike Crawford about that - and post his response.  If you do decide to camp there please keep in mind that we hold Salt Talks (the big picnic get-together Sunday evening) at the northeast side of the parking area - so maybe set up your campsite next to the mountain.  That'll keep you away from the noise and so on that we generate.  Ye, we really have had complaints from campers that we were interfering with their camping experience, and one time we got someone to bitch at us because the lights of Salt Talks was interfering with their watching for meteors.  Picky frickin' picky, but there you have it.  Be ready to attend Salt Talks and it'll be okay.  And anyway, we're usually packed up and gone around 9PM.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sporty Dan

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 10:19:08 AM »
SSS, if we are there when you are doing Salt Talks we would be there helping you make the noise. :-D I would be great to meet and talk with fellow gear heads.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 11:40:31 AM »
Dan, does this mean we get to count you in as one of the volunteers?  A half-dozen of youse guys is about what we need, and if you're camped there it's super easy.  You are right in the area when it comes to shutting down/cleaning up at the end of the soiree.  And if you're not on the salt Monday morning you could even help us pack up the grill to return it to Enola Gay cafe.  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sporty Dan

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 10:26:29 PM »
SSS, I'll be glad help out shutting things down. Hopefully I'll need to be in impound on Monday morning (oh please, oh please, oh please), if not I can help out get everything put together and moved.

Offline typo41

• Huntimer Photography
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 03:47:27 PM »
The KOA has always been good to us, with great service and ready to help. Glen you may have loss your converter there, but sometimes s*** happens. And at least at the KOA we have: water, power, dump tank hookup, showers, pool, and even wifi. It is a bit pricey but after standing in the sun all day it is really nice to have a shower, soak in the pool and a relaxing meal.

And we can wash our shivies before we leave.
Tony Huntimer
Huntimer Photography

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 08:54:06 PM »
We always have good service from the KOA.  They went the extra step to help us by accepting the delivery of many trailer parts one year while we were out on the salt. 

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 10:04:20 PM »
For Speed Week I will be camping out in my dully truck from Sunday thru Wed, so I will have a chance to save some money and have good fellowship with you guys that do camp!
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline 38Chevy454

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 11:24:29 PM »
Hope the museum lot is still available, it is nice they let us camp out there.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com