Author Topic: "un-sprung A-arm front suspensions are not allowed" question...  (Read 3913 times)

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
I have to assume this refers to a solid link/strap being put in place of a shock/spring as opposed to an a-arm front suspension that uitlizes torsion bars?  What scenarios is this rule designed to alleviate?
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 
Racing is the evil modification of insanity.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: "un-sprung A-arm front suspensions are not allowed" question...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 09:59:48 AM »
I would say you pretty well nailed it-----

nothing that is spindly that has no travel is the way I understand it
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 11:21:13 AM »
The rule was put in place when a lot of older dragsters were being turned into lakesters and when one got side ways the small diameter 1" A frame that was welded to the chassis broke off and the car flipped.
It was felt the reason was the thin wall tubing used for drag racing was not suitable for lakesters. This also made rule changes to the tubing Min, diameter and wall thickness. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 03:28:19 PM »
An a-arm suspension that uses torsion bars would be sprung.  Torsion bars are springs.  Were you wondering if your torsion bar suspension was legal or not?
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 08:04:04 AM »
I assumed the torsion bar suspension we have is perfectly legal, just thinking of future mods, trying to figure out what's acceptable and why. 
If budget allows, we will convert to coil-overs and ditch the torsion bars.  Non-adjustable spring rates are difficult to manage at best. 

I won't say the truck we are assembling is "overbuilt" but we are making errors on the side of safety and added strength, with plans for a larger power plant some day (of course). 

I have to assume that an excessive spring rate is not considered solid, right?   :evil:
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 
Racing is the evil modification of insanity.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 10:52:18 AM »
says un-sprung---  springs are springs--- nothing to do with rate or travel
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!