Author Topic: Over heating risk after enclosing grill  (Read 17950 times)

Offline RebekahsZ

Over heating risk after enclosing grill
« on: May 19, 2015, 10:52:05 PM »
I see lots of folks enclosing the grill on landspeed production cars. Why don't they over-heat? I'm working to enclose mine and I'm trying to foresee any problems.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Over heating risk after enclosing grill
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 11:25:40 PM »
If you are running in a class that allows it you might want to think about a water tank for your cooling system.
You only have to go 5 miles...  :roll:
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 12:02:23 AM »
I see lots of folks enclosing the grill on landspeed production cars. Why don't they over-heat? I'm working to enclose mine and I'm trying to foresee any problems.

I'd point out that they fall outside the rule book categorization of "production".  Not all classes allow it.

Classic, Modified, Altered - a lot of nuance between these cars one might think of as "Production".

G.A.R.B.

:cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline BHR301

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 09:05:10 AM »
It would seem that someone needs to get a rule book for the association they want to run with and READ it carefully.

Bill

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 02:56:58 PM »

With no engine information it's hard to tell. I run a large aluminum radiator and never get close to over heating. But I only run 302 Cu in.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline dw230

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 03:11:03 PM »
I vote for reply #3. Is this a poll?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline RebekahsZ

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 11:14:26 PM »
Thank you to the gentleman who gave me his experience. This forum is starting to get a little tiresome due to folks avoiding questions with the mantra: "get a rule book."  Of course I have a rule book.  I wouldn't waste your time on questions that were in the rule book. In fact, I have three rule books. If you don't know, just say so or leave room for someone else to type.

Offline dw230

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 12:38:27 PM »
Please point out in the Production Category where it says you can cover the grill opening. It must be in there somewhere because you have three books.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 11:40:55 PM »
With all due respect to all that replied. I read the question as "Production" was not the class but the man's description of production vehicles versus say a streamliner or belly tank.

Just my 2 cents.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 12:47:20 AM »
Likewise Bill, and I thought the question was legitimate. I think it's a question that only he will be able to answer after running with one eye on the temperature guage. Start off with the vehicle only barely warm so the fluids flow and shut off if the temperature reaches a point where you're uncomfortable. You may want to bring a hole saw to the event in case you want to open the front to some airflow or you could design the front with a substantial opening and then build removeable blocking plates. This is common in a lot of open wheel racing classes.

Pete

Offline dw230

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 03:00:20 PM »
OK, I'm in a good mood today and I will stand down from my remarks.

But, in my defense, if some one on this board asks a question about rules they should refer to the categories and classes as out lined in the rule book not some personal definition of a racing car.

BTW, the op said he/she is tried of all the ..."get a rule book".. answers.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline RebekahsZ

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 04:41:41 PM »
Thanks fellas for coming back together on this one.  I didn't specify my classification because I wasn't asking a rules question, but rather I was trying to just glean experience related to car behavior/performance.  I'm running in C/GMS at Wilmington, OH.  "Streamlining" is pretty well unlimited forward of the cowl in this class, per the rulebook.  My car passed tech in May and set a new class record without protest, and I talked with the inspector about the issue of covering the grill, so I should be ok with the rules committee.  I will run with one eye on the temp gauge and bring a hole-saw as recommended.  If any of you guys have tried this before:  blocking the radiator (but still running electric fans), then running full-throttle/full-load for 30 seconds of track and then a couple of minutes of return track driving, I'd love to hear your story.  It's just something I've never done, that's all.  That's all I was hoping for-a good story or two from somebody who's "been there" and lived to tell the story.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 06:38:54 PM »
If you're talking about SpeedWeek, there's no return to pits driving allowed.

As to protests, that's something that may be drastically different between SCTA and ECTA.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline gray63

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 07:35:31 PM »
We ran a standard cooling system with an electric fan on our BGMS Corvette.  We had two 8 inch openings in the grille area
and several times we closed the opening to about 4 inches. At Ohio the temp would get to 180 deg. and at Bonneville it would
run around 200. I think that at Ohio you may not have any issues with closing your frontal area.  Give it a try.

Regards,  Dave
# 3611
BGMS
56 Corvette

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2015, 10:24:57 AM »
We run C/GALT at the Ohio mile. The front is completely sealed. We have a double pass radiator w/electric fan. Water temperature tops out at about 200. Never " over heated". It's not like stop and go driving.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15