Author Topic: Motorcycle rule change  (Read 6401 times)

Jessechop

Motorcycle rule change
« on: May 19, 2015, 09:42:44 PM »
Rule change for motorcycles! After alot of conversations and looking at failures at other motorcycle events we have come up with this change.

Rule 7.B.16 addition to rule :

Chain guard recommended. Chain guards my be removed . If a chain guard is
run it must be made in a manner that will not allow the chain to "pile" or lock
the rear wheel in case of failure. It must be also made in a manner that is
secure and resists deflecting. If the chain is not shielded it must not be
able to contact the rider in case of failure
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 06:23:05 AM by Jessechop »

Offline sofadriver

Re: Motorcycle rule change
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 12:13:37 AM »
reflects deflecting?
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Jessechop

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 06:22:26 AM »
Typo resists

Offline Truckedup

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 08:21:21 AM »
 I just saw this....where did you find the rule change?
Triumph 650 LTA MPG record holder  133.1 MPH...

Jessechop

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 12:28:06 PM »
I didn't find it, Joe, Tim, Frank and myself made it

Offline Truckedup

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 06:08:01 AM »
 So you have submitted the proposed change? The part about not being constructed to jam the chain .... On many bikes a broken chain can and will jam up around the transmission sprocket because it's "pocketed" by the tranny/engine case. This can happen when chain links seize.  But many times a broken chain just falls onto the roadway...

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 07:24:52 AM »
So you have submitted the proposed change? The part about not being constructed to jam the chain .... On many bikes a broken chain can and will jam up around the transmission sprocket because it's "pocketed" by the tranny/engine case. This can happen when chain links seize.  But many times a broken chain just falls onto the roadway...
Truckedup,
Joe, Tim, Frank, and Jesse are LTA, so the rule change probably has been made!

What you say about the chain wrapping around the drive sprocket/mainshaft is true, but doesn't usually lock up the rear wheel which is the real issue. I have been at a race where the broken chain locked up the rear wheel with the result being a broken leg (road racing).  Incidentally, if the primary chain breaks, it can lock up the mainshaft which can lock up the rear wheel if the drive chain is still intact, the result being a broken ankle as the rider tumbles down the front straight.  This I know first hand.

As a part time inspector at Loring, I can live with this new ruling, but I will be looking for some kind of shielding to protect the rider from a thrown chain as I believe this rule is intended.

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Jessechop

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 09:30:49 AM »
What Tom said,  :-D

One large concern we are trying to resolve is chains getting caught between the guard at the engine on swing arm bikes.

I will go over what we are looking for when I meet with the inspectors prior to tech. If you meet the old rule you will be fine for this event

Offline Truckedup

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 07:36:16 PM »
 Thanks for clearing this up. I'll be at Maine for the first time next week. My bike has passed numerous ECTA tech inspections and I don't expect any problems but....just for this discussion, what would you want to do on my bike? Just retain the rear part of the guard? Or elevate the guard to prevent jamming?  Thanks, Tony

Jessechop

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 07:56:56 PM »
I would prefer to see the top/end of the guard flat, however what you have will pass...assuming that it is rigid which it looks like it is.

When I get on a computer I will see if I can post a picture of what we don't want to see

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 01:24:24 PM »
Jesse,
Is this what you have in mind? It is 1-1/4"x1-1/4" angle iron attached with three 1/4" bolts.
Tom

We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Jessechop

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 04:53:51 PM »
Yep, that would work great. Rigid bikes are alot easier to deal with

Offline Truckedup

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 05:06:39 PM »
 Most guys run a straight guard... I thought my curved guard was less likely to poke me while working on the bike...And it has style  :-D 
  Tomorrow I'll reshape the curve just in case. A broken primary chain on a Triumph usually wipes out the engine case and can lock the rear tire if the clutch is trashed or the rider doesn't disengage fast enough.
 We are really excited about running on the 1-1/2 mile. The bike  runs consistent 125 mph at the Ohio mile in the 650 MPG class..Really want to try for 130...