Author Topic: Tire Pressure recommendations  (Read 30092 times)

Offline Ron Gibson

Re: Tire Pressure recommendations
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2015, 11:16:35 AM »
While you have the front end apart for springs, I would (if you haven't already) check bump steer and scrub radius. Both of those can cause handling problems.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2015, 11:49:14 AM »
I'm with Ron on this. Check your bump steer-- toe-in should not change much as the nose of the car dips down from braking or aero forces.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2015, 09:47:01 AM »
I'm with Ron on this. Check your bump steer-- toe-in should not change much as the nose of the car dips down from braking or aero forces.

If the front suspension "toes out" in bump travel, it will make the car "twichy" (at least) under braking.    Large amounts of "toe out" change can make the car "wander" or "hunt" unpredictably/uncontrollably.

Try to limit the toe change to less than .03" per wheel through the dynamic ride height range you are using.     If you have "large" changes in toe dimensions, revise the suspension geometry to minimize the changes.    Carroll Smith's book "Tune to Win" (although road racing centric) has a great practical chapter on toe/geometry and how to measure and alter toe characteristics.   The book is available on Amazon, etc.
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Heliophile

• Design and construction of an LSR MC Streamliner
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2015, 01:29:04 PM »
Here is more information that may be useful when choosing tire pressure and tire type to achieve a balance among speed, safety, and cost.

One reason to increase tire pressure is to reduce rolling resistance, which along with aero drag and peak engine power pretty much determine maximum top speed.  Rolling resistance can be as important as aero drag (details are on the Design Topics page on my website).  Higher tire inflation pressure reduces rolling resistance by reducing tire flexure (which dissipates power) where the rubber meets the road.  A caveat is that increased tire pressure reduces the contact (footprint) area, which reduces available traction for steering, acceleration, and braking.

Actually achieving the maximum possible top speed also depends on several other factors.

Re Goodyear Frontrunner tires, see the 2015 list at URL
 http://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/pdf/Goodyear_Drag_Catalog_2015.pdf 
Goodyear makes “Eagle Land Speed” tires rated for 300 mph (with load and inflation pressure specifications) and “Frontrunner” tires that are used on dragsters and list no speed rating.  Goodyear and SCTA have authorized the new D2904 Frontrunner for LSR use up to 300 mph at 90 psi and less than 1200 lbs radial load.  It is my understanding that the other Frontrunner tires (at least the 17”) are restricted by SCTA to use only at considerably lower speeds and lighter loading because the tire construction may not reliably stand up under sustained high LSR speeds.

Offline Gumby79

• New folks
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2019, 04:36:30 AM »
Not trying to hijack... on topic ...
What is the max psi for LSR's  that Ill have to run for 150 to get a speed rated with load capasity.
Curent weight (add all safety for 150 and up )
3500 front / 2500 rear  so Goodyear LSR # 2850 and custom 18" 8x6.5 wheels front 70psi min =25sqin - hysteresis contact patch

2015 55T 91.5 dodgeD250 87.14mph
Dammit Dave I can't do that, this means you can't either
"Aero is for economy not for going faster with the same power unless you run a car "
Rule book.
Thats impossible.  Just wait till my wallet catches up to my brain.