Author Topic: Wanted Overdrive  (Read 13955 times)

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
Wanted Overdrive
« on: May 13, 2015, 12:43:18 PM »
Looking to see if anyone has any overdrive gearboxe(s) that are not in use anymore. We need something for our liner next year and would like to start the hunt now. Looking for something to handle 1000-1500 hp and as short as possible. :-D Otherwise suggest who to call.....we are members of the "money is an object" club meaning our printer is down....
"Live every day like its your last....some day it will be"

Offline RichFox

Re: Wanted Overdrive
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 04:05:04 PM »
I have a three speed Ford top loader with a Gear Vendors OD. Not in use. Currently with the Flat Cad crew. But they are not using it. Gear Vendors said it is good to 1000hp. Maybe.

Offline salt27

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 04:10:52 PM »
Rich, Do you know if the Gear Vendor is a "J" or a "P" model?

Don

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 05:52:49 PM »
You might contact Buddy Walker and ask him. He has had it for the last couple of years and I believe has the paper work that came with it. I don't remember.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 07:04:06 PM »
If I was building a lakester or RMR or such. I might look at an Audi transaxle. 6 speeds. Probably to top two are OD. Very close coupled design if you can deal with the rear overhang.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 10:56:43 PM »
Which Audi is that off Rich?.

What HP do you think it could handle?.
Thanks. Mike. :cheers:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 12:11:57 AM »
If I was building a lakester or RMR or such. I might look at an Audi transaxle. 6 speeds. Probably to top two are OD. Very close coupled design if you can deal with the rear overhang.
I had actually suggested the Audi ZF to Burton recently, can you hear me now? :-D
Mike, they are every bit as strong as the Weismann we ran in Betsy with the blown AA KB on 50%.
  Sid.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 12:15:50 AM »
The one in the picture is from an A4. How much HP? I don't know. But if I was building a rear engined car I would be researching Audi info. 6 speeds? There must be one in there that works.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 12:20:10 AM »
Thanks guys, If my current deal on the box I really want falls through I'll look at one of these
Audi boxes. There are 1000s here. :-D

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 12:32:34 PM »
How much overdrive and at what input speed are you looking for?   
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 09:55:59 AM »
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the input. Yes that Audi Transaxle might fit the bill with our current belt set-up. :-D. Sid, I must have been in a daze when you said it. Sorry Bud.

I am thinking we might just go diesel for a while so we might need a significant overdrive. I am thinking G and F engines. and the Mickeys we have are 82" circumference. I am thinking these small diesels can turn 5000 safely probably 6000? I have the gear/RPM spreadsheet but its not agreeing with me.....need to go back to school for Excel spreadsheets. Problem is if I use a straight 6 and my liberty 5 speed there is not room for the the gear vendors OD. I talked to them and its a minimum of 15" length they need. So short is good.
Just trying to see what people might have laying around is the main purpose of this post.
Has anyone tried to made an overdrive with spur gears like are used in stock cars? I have about 50 sets of those laying around......

"Live every day like its your last....some day it will be"

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 11:46:51 AM »
I don't see why that wouldn't work.  You'll need to get the correct ring and pinion set to keep the direction of travel correct.  If length is an issue you could put a transfer case, like an np205, behind the axle and flip the axle and drive it from the rear.  Running an np205 backwards in low would give you a .50 overdrive.
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline BHR301

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 12:19:19 PM »
Have you ever thought of using a very short transmission..like a Muncie 4 speed with the tail shaft removed and an overdrive bolted directly to it?  Just a thought.

Bill

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 10:53:04 PM »
   Burton,
    I have a complete Porsche 944 [on wheels] that you can have if it will work for you. It's a 1985. The catch is it's here in Montana.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline tauruck

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 12:51:54 AM »
Surely these Audi ZF auto boxes come with a bunch of electronic gizmos?.
How does one adapt all that to an old Ford V8?.