Author Topic: 2015 Speed Week Entry Fees  (Read 22251 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: 2015 Speed Week Entry Fees
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2015, 11:58:05 AM »
Okay -- I'll admit to one benefit that Nancy and I get for our work:  We get a free toilet in our pit.

Last year Honey Buckets was contracted to bring about 80 units to the salt, and another 90 or so in the way of privately rented units.  That's one heck of a lot of porta-potties.  I guess that since many of the private rentals end up going through me to make the reservation (I just send those folks to Trevor at Honey Bucket) - I guess that they "reward" me/us for our work that helps them.  They give us a toilet.  The first day of SW has a goofy look to it -- 'cause most of those private units get parked in our pit 'til the user comes to fetch it/them.  If you''re driving through the pits and see one with 40 or so toilets -- you've found the SSS pit. :evil:

An hour or so later:  I just thought of something that I should mention about that free toilet.  It is provided as a "thank you" by Honey Buckets and does not have anything to do with SCTA/BNI nor do either of the groups pay anything for it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 01:02:35 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2015, 12:09:29 PM »
I volunteered once several years ago. Drove 38 hours round trip (not as far as SSS), spent $600+ on gas, plus meals and wear and tear. Rained out after one run. I got 1 COLD chilli dog for lunch and pay for one shift. Money making trip. :-D

On the plus side, if someone doesn't do it we can't race and I got to meet and share a room with 'Tiny' :cheers:

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline modelAsteve

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2015, 12:12:04 PM »
The hardest job of all is finding the out houses after Jon has moved them! We do the trash cans in the outhouses. I think we have 84 now. This does not include all the private ones. We empty (sometimes) the bigger cans around the salt and all the trash from sales and registration etc. We usually fill around 24 of those big bins. The first four days are 12 plus hours! Thanks for coming to the salt so we can have a job to do! PICK UP YOUR OWN TRASH- KEEP THE SALT CLEAN!
Thanks, Steve and Marty

Offline jl222

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2015, 02:09:52 PM »
Just To Be Clear....

The people who sit on one of 4 courses as patrol stewards all day long, or hand out time slips, tech vehicles, clear the salt at night, sell souvenirs, or pick up & put down miles of wire & cones DO receive a Per Diem of $30.00 a day (might be $25 now due to expenses). They also receive meal tickets good for breakfast or lunch at the Red Flame. IF they get a room (not everyone does) they must share it with another worker. There are a very few who get more $$$ and I'll bet if you had to do what they do you wouldn't. If you would, step right up, the SCTA is always looking for helpers.  

That's how I remember it at the board meetings I went to. Haven't seen you at any board meeting in the last few years John, say Hi next time.......

Mike ..Just clarifying the facts not complaining about it. AND Linda and I have both been paid Workers at Bville and had a paid for room. No food tickets at that time.
 Linda did the timing slips, I/2 day shifts, and at that time with No Shade, for 1st day. Her lips were swollen from sun poisioning So don't give me any crap about being a worker.  
 I guess I should have said how much you wana bet 1st.
 I went to the rep meetings when I was a club rep for the Speedsters and lived 120 miles away in Santa Ynez sometimes
getting home after 3am.
 I live in Clovis now even farther away so I don't go to meetings.
 I know some of the racers and their crew work for the paid rooms, which these days are a huge expense.
 Also it was fun to get in the pool after a hot day then have a beer and bench race :-D

JL222  

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 02:29:20 PM by jl222 »

Offline edinlr

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2015, 11:51:23 PM »
I think rates need to be raised a percentage every year just to keep in check with inflation.  If they get a ahead, that's alright, they will get rained out at some point.  I tell my local Chinese place to raise their lunch prices, they have been $5.50 for as long as I can remember.  They said everyone already tells them their prices are too high.  It's a simple fact that you have to raise prices to stay in business, no matter if you are running speed races or a Chinese lunch spot.  I for one am very thankful for all of the "volunteers" at Bonneville.  They are all there at a pretty high personal expense.  Travel and being away from home will never be offset by a free room or a few meal tickets.  I am very appreciative of all of your efforts.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline vintageracecar

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2015, 11:28:57 PM »
That's a bunch of B.S.   In order to drive at speedweek you have to be a BNI member($75). Now they are going to double charge the people that put on the show for the spectators of which they make a small fortune on.  Not only that, now they are going to charge all our family members $5 to be on our crew. I feel like we are being "OBAMASIZED". How much money did you make this year? Send it.

Wow !! $75.00 for the BNI Membership Fee. Lets see what you are getting for the $75.00 you are complaining about:
SCTA/BNI Rules & Records book $10.00
Speed Week Poster $5.00
Speed Week Program $15.00 (in 2014)
Speed Week Entry Pin $45.00
Embroidered BNI Membership Patch $5.00
BNI Membership Vinyl Decal $5.00
BNI Membership Card $ ??
4 Issues of Straight Away News, mailed & e-mailed $ ??
Total that up, you are getting $85.00 worth of products. Not to mention that it has to get mailed to you.
Boy are you getting RIPPED OFF. Not sure how you can live with yourself ??  :evil:

Offline debgeo

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2015, 01:26:38 AM »
GREAT POST  THANKS :cheers:
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline astek

• Alp Racing & Design
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2015, 03:30:04 AM »

Wow !! $75.00 for the BNI Membership Fee. Lets see what you are getting for the $75.00 you are complaining about:
Speed Week Poster $5.00
BNI Membership Card $ ??
Total that up, you are getting $85.00 worth of products. Not to mention that it has to get mailed to you.
Boy are you getting RIPPED OFF. Not sure how you can live with yourself ??  :evil:

I'm thankful for all the effort put forth by the SCTA / volunteers to make it all happen, and feel very fortunate that I can be part of this southern California tradition.

SCTA Milers 650cc A-VG/F #113
www.alpracingdesign.com

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2015, 09:16:22 AM »
Speed Week Poster $5.00
BNI Membership Card $ ??

Thank you for that great post!!!

Now, can we move on with REAL information, and quit bitching???
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2015, 11:20:54 AM »
All I am concerned about is DRY salt and a chance to run my car this year.
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC
It's all fun  ECTA 2 Club Member  SAVE THE SALT

Offline bbarn

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2015, 11:47:53 AM »
All I am concerned about is DRY salt and a chance to run my car this year.

AMEN!!! Preach it brother!!!!!

I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2015, 09:34:20 AM »
I can't complain about anything, I just hope it doesn't rain again. We have 10 teams coming from the UK, it takes us a long time to save up the money. Personally, to get my bike & myself over, with container cost (shared), air fares, van hire from LA & everything else involved, it costs me @ £5000, maybe that's @$7500? I don't have a regular job. This year I'll be sleeping in the back of our hire van at the Bend in the Road, but not complaining, because just being there is more than most Brits dream of, & to just run my bike (blown Indian 741B) on this hallowed ground is a bonus.
Don't push me, I'm close to the edge.