Author Topic: Bringing back borrowed stuff  (Read 11899 times)

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
Bringing back borrowed stuff
« on: May 11, 2015, 04:56:33 PM »
SpeedWeek 2013 I loaned a 12' blue simpson drag chute to someone and I can't remember who. If someone reading this has it I would like to have it back. If I sold it to you for a six pack can you refresh my memory. :cheers:
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline BasementBorn

Re: Bringing back borrowed stuff
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 06:06:20 PM »
I don't have your chute but your thread sparked my memory. Figured it may be a good spot to post for borrowed stuff, I don't mean to hijack.  :cheers:

AT SW2013 we lent out some tires on red wheels to a grey Camaro or Firebird that I think was out of Washington. If anyone knows who has them let me know. We figured we would see them last year but it was tough with everyone spread through town. Borrowed from the 1361 F/CPRO Mustang II also out of Washington.
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 06:51:27 PM »
WOW  this is scary stuff

We use to have  a neighbor who would stand out on the curb and holler and cars coming by as we were  :cheers:  "Hey bring my Senica back"  this is after he had something stolen from his frt. patio
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 12:36:22 PM »
My favorite is when they bring back a tool that's broken and tell you it was like that when they borrowed it. Ive lost a Snap-on double flaring tool & a 6 inch grinder that never came back at all, a 735 Holley that returned with an ear broken off the base that they ran on the car and a mercury motorcycle carb synch tool that returned with no mercury plus they didn't even tell me. I found out next time I went to use it. I no longer lend out tools. As I get older I cant even remember who I lent them to either. This is about as low as it gets and you lose a friend {?} each time

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 01:14:19 PM »
Sorry to hear some of the unfortunate tales however.....

My experience has left me with many stories & new friends.
One time a competitor in my same class needed a MSD ignition box. I had a good used spare that I lent him. We didn't get to see each other the rest of the meet and he lived in Washington state so I thought oh well. About a month after speedweek I receive a package with a Brand New MSD in it.
I have lent out tools, parts, hardware, etc. Most of the time it comes home better than when it was borrowed.
I just wanted to paint a full picture. Not everyone brings things back better than new but most of the time they come back. If something doesn't come back consider that a helper goes looking for a widget in the heat of battle, going through the miles long pits. Asking this team then the next for said widget. Finally, you've got what he's looking for and off he goes to help his team get back in line. Now the event is over, helper my have left or say's it was some guys with a blue roadster that I borrowed it from. You see where I'm going here. Yes they should do more to get your stuff back but we now have HUNDREDS of competitors so it's not as easy as it once was to know everyone.
Ask for a cell phone number and write it in the trailer wall or trust. More times than not stuff is returned.

Climbing down from my soap box now....     
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 02:18:25 PM »
^^ Yes, Celia told me last night that I wrote down everything I loaned during 2013 SW on a clip board...now if I could just find the clip board. :-o
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 02:35:58 PM »
Well I have a turbo out to one guy---not a LSR guy-- he has now been involved in a bad wreck---may never see the turbo again---it was supposed  to be for mock up---it was a brand new BW t-6 thank goodness it was one of the cheaper DD-60 series replacements---but I now no longer have a pair

Also have a ECU,  Chiller mountable intake with a 105 MM TB and a big Blow off valve-I need to get these back
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jdincau

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 03:14:15 PM »
Having been the recipient of others generosity over the years,  Ken and I have adopted the policy "I we have it and aren't using it, you can". We have never lost a tool or part.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 03:44:37 PM »
I loan tools to my kids all the time.  I take a photo on my cell phone of the tool and caption with the name of who has it ...

Joe

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 03:45:43 PM »
I've already told the story about drills and safety wiring tool/wire, but it's germane to this topic.  I have frequently lent out the stuff, usually to a brand-new racer.  I buy cheapo 1/16" drill bits to lend out, figuring that if I never get them back that it's a cheap way to help a just-met friend.  Almost every time I get the tools back, clean, and usually with a pack of way better quality bits.  I then tell stories about how we were helped by other racers and so we do, and I finish by telling them that instead of paying me -- they owe it to the next racer that asks them for a loan of something.  Pass it on, pay it forward.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 03:53:07 PM »
I've found that often when someone wants to borrow a tool they don't really know how to use it to accomplish what they want to do. I often end up going over and doing the work too. That way I know the tool was used properly and I also get it back. In the process the borrower often learns how to do it properly for the next time and they'll buy their own tool.  :-D :-D :-D 

Pete

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 03:58:37 PM »
I loaned a 6 cylinder magneto tach to a good friend with a streamliner. The car was distorted in a crash. He called me about the tach and what to do.... I said to send it back as it is one of my prized garage show and tell pieces. No blame, all a part of friendships made at the salt....
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 04:01:35 PM »
I have a small bunch of tools to loan to neighbors even then most of them come back. Don't like to loan power tools.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 04:20:40 PM »
^^ Yes, Celia told me last night that I wrote down everything I loaned during 2013 SW on a clip board...now if I could just find the clip board. :-o

THAT'S who I borrowed that clipboard from!  :-D
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline cheeto racer

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 08:25:40 PM »

THAT'S who I borrowed that clipboard from!  :-D

That's funny