Author Topic: Classic Altered - taillights?  (Read 3637 times)

Offline BobDcuda

Classic Altered - taillights?
« on: May 04, 2015, 02:56:46 PM »
Looks like I'm OK to remove taillights for Classic Altered.  Right?

Offline jacksoni

Re: Classic Altered - taillights?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 05:23:00 PM »
IMO-nope.
Altered is a production or GC car with the nose stretched, front covered, engine set back etc. Cowl back still can't be touched. Removing tail lights, even if just covered with flat plate, might be construed as streamlining. Pro and GC rules specifically require the taillights. All above still IMO but I'm looking in the book too. I think you may have come up with the idea as the Alt rules do not specifically require them as do Pro and GC. Then again, Dan Warner and others often say don't read too much into things. See what others say.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 05:27:44 PM »
Don't know, but . . .

Page 84 . . .

"Bumpers, grilles and FRONT lights may be removed . . .
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 02:12:26 PM »
I ran vintage altered and fuel coupe for years and always had the tail lights removed. In fact I built tubing from above the differential to exit out the holes made when I removed them. I held the record in the class for over 10 years. Tail lights are never mentioned in the Alt/FC class only in Gas Coupe in the Modified Section. When I changed and ran the car in Vintage Gas Coupe in put them back in and sealed the holes in the trunk...

IMO it's called reading what the rule book says and not what you or someone thinks it says.... JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline dw230

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 06:19:59 PM »
JD,

Don't confuse the readers, there is no FC (Fuel Coupe) class. You can refer to the class as FAlt (Fuel Altered). NASCAR does it all the time. When a new series sponsor comes in all of sudden all past champions are known as the Sprint Cup or Xfinity champ.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 06:28:12 PM »
JD,

Don't confuse the readers, there is no FC (Fuel Coupe) class. You can refer to the class as FAlt (Fuel Altered). NASCAR does it all the time. When a new series sponsor comes in all of sudden all past champions are known as the Sprint Cup or Xfinity champ.

DW
Usta be but SCTA decided to be lumpers than splitters, at least while back. :) But DW, what about the primary question?
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 07:35:36 PM »
DW you are of course right. For some past reason I said "gas altered" and " fuel coupe" . They are gas and fuel altered coupes and sedans. Anyway I remember the old Genevro Studie having flat plates over the headlights and the complete tail light assemblies removed in the altered coupe and sedan class which help let the air out of the rear wheel/fender area. At the time and still you can build in air ducts from over the rear end and behind the rear window to relieve the vacuum to help them from getting light and spinning. Seems like now everyone is adding a picnic table to the back to do the same thing. I do know that if I had the air ducts I would tried to go faster the the 153 I did in my 40 Chev when I felt it lift.....As I get older the more I forget about yesterday but remember about 30 years ago.....JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro