Author Topic: Engine Sealing  (Read 3035 times)

Offline BasementBorn

Engine Sealing
« on: April 29, 2015, 09:31:40 PM »
I wasn't sure where to ask this question, hopefully here works. I know you can have your engine sealed if you get a record and want to continue running the rest of the week. How many points do they need to connect the head to the block? I am planning to weld some tabs on the head and block in order to tie them together with the wire should the need arise just not sure if one spot is enough or do they need two?

I am asking on a bike specifically but would apply to cars as well.
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline BobDcuda

Re: Engine Sealing
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 10:30:09 PM »
One spot on each of the head and block.  On my car, we found places to drill holes to pass the wire through rather than making tabs.  One hole through a built-in gusset on the block, which was near an empty bolt-hole on the head.  Drilled sideways out of the threads.  Hope this helps....

Offline maj

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 12:42:49 AM »
bikes usually have a readily drillable spot to tie the head to the cyls, or predrill  bolts  like the 2 on the side of the timing chain

Offline salt27

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 01:22:00 AM »
BB, our twin cylinder bike was required to have a seal on the right and left sides even though the head is common to both cylinders.

I was so happy to have set a record, I wasn't questioning anything.   :-D

Don

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 09:34:23 AM »
Actually you might want to seal the pan, you can then still pull the head if you need to, you cannot change motor size through the top, but you can through the bottom.  We seal the cylinder to a case split bold most of the time.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 10:25:01 AM »
I was considering taking one of the bolts out on the side of the timing chain like Maj was saying so I may do that. I'll make sure and do the pan to just to be on the safe side. If I need another spot on either I'll come prepared to deal with that there I guess. Thanks for the help.
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO