Author Topic: Proper Chute Packing for Canister Chutes?  (Read 6152 times)

Offline Mike Borders

Proper Chute Packing for Canister Chutes?
« on: April 26, 2015, 03:52:51 AM »
The MKM Racing team, home of the Mojave Mile/Magnum, will be coming to the salt this year for our first attempt to join the fun.  We are bringing a proven RMR with our own upgrades and a 1000cc MPS bike.  While we aren't new to racing, we are definitely salt puppies and have already sought and taken lots of advice from the best, from Lee Kennedy on down, and our Rule Book copies are worn and grease-stained.  However, none of our racing experiences has ever taught us how to properly pack a canister chute, so, for you old guys, once you stop laughing, can you please offer some advice?

Our roadster came with an old "ribbon" chute that was a little too worn out for our tastes. We have a brand new one from DJ Safety, and while we think we have some idea of how to pack it, we need advice.  The chute lines are 1.5" wide (wider than the originals), and unlike the old ribbon chute, this one does not have a packing bag holding the actual chute itself.  Should the lines be folded/layered in first, or rolled/circled?  How should the chute itself be folded?  It has a proper drogue, and the release mechanism on the canister is a swing lever that releases on the chute pull handle.  Our canister is 7" wide and 21" long, but we may have to extend it for the larger new chute.

Thanks for any and all advice!  :-D

Mike B

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Proper Chute Packing for Canister Chutes?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 09:24:33 AM »
This is not just exactly what you asked for BUT:

here is my greatest concern  getting the pilot out into clean airstream!!

I learned the hard way by almost going out the back door at EL M with my old lakester with the primary pilot bobbing along right in the dead air right behind the car,  never did pull the chute out of the tube.  I have seen the same type thing happen to packs with a VERY late deployment not due to driver actions.

I have no idea where you are mounting your chutes. I would think about mounting where the pilot shot out sideways I solved my old lakester's issues by learning to "cock" the pilot so it deployed about 30 degs. off the centerline of the car so they got into clean air.

This will be a much greater concern at EL M than B'ville due to available stopping distances but if the return road is rough at B'ville it is nice to get off quick and short.
Al Eshenbaugh mounted his chutes on his new lakester so that they shoot sideways up and out at about 45 degs so they get in clean air.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 09:27:27 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 09:59:04 AM »
We fold the lines, and the chute....
Basically you do not want your lines to run out over another line and burn it.  The first part of line that goes from your attach point to the back of the can should have a cover.  So start by straightening all the lines and the parachute so everything is ready to blossom.   Place them in the can so they will come out without catching other lines, they can be packed tightly.  When you get to the chute lines keep doing what you are doing as well as with the chute.  The pilot line we gather in loops and then push it and pilot in and secure with the release strap. 
Now if everything went in easy you probably screwed up  :roll:
Station a guy to watch, release it, the pilot should spring out and drag part of the chute. Then pull the chute by the pilot out to its full length, everything should come out smoothly, no catching or binding.  Once it starts to come out the weight of the lines will pull the rest out as you move the chute back. 
A tip.. Carry a bucket or something to put the chute in after it deploys. 
Shake as much salt out of it when you pick it up... always pick it up by the pilot cord, that will keep the lines from fouling.  Never pack it wet and wash it often.
As always, your mileage may vary  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 10:50:33 AM »
Since the roadster has been run before the deployment location should be fine. Layer (no loops) the tow line in with about 10" long pack, then build the next one & so on. Same with the shroud lines & the canopy. The pack needs to be tight to keep the pilot spring loaded, if it's packed too loose the pilot spring can lose it's tension during the run & not launch clear of the back draft.
Build the chute tube bigger than you need & put spacers in it. The chute & tow line will eat salt & grow in volume making it hard or imposible to pack in the same hole. Removing spacers will save your a$$.
The salt it eats will have moisture so hang it up in the sun to dry after a run, shake it out then repack it. It's ok to leave it packed over night if it's dry.
DJ chutes tend to be a little on the big side but you'll get the feel for it on licencing passes.
Put the car end of the tow line all the way into the tube & pack everything on that. Golden rule "first in last out".
  Sid. 

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 11:09:20 AM »
One of Kiwi's hints, often overlooked, is to make the canister longer than it need be.  Good play to store a roll of duct tape until you need the extra room.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline killacycle

• New folks
    • KillaCycle Racing
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 12:22:16 PM »
You said: "...unlike the old ribbon chute, this one does not have a packing bag holding the actual chute itself."

Why no chute bag? We really like having a chute bag when launching out of a tube. The original bag was made out of canvas, but when that wore out on the salt, we made replacements out of tough, yet slick, cotton/polyester rip-stop cloth (work pants). We are very happy with these.

We agree completely with the comment about having extra space in the back of the tube with a few foam spacers. The spacers come in and out to make the chute pack right. Nice to have chute bags in slightly different lengths as well.

Not very much info out there on the "proper" way to pack a chute in a tube, unfortunately. LSR and drag race jet cars seem to be the only place they launch out of tubes.
KillaCycle

Offline modelAsteve

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 12:52:37 PM »
It is nice to have a one "CHUTE"  person to be in charge of this very important operation, and do it each time.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 01:27:49 PM »
I make the driver do it and I coach him from what I have learned.

In my old car I used newspaper and SB duct tape spacers.  On the new car I have separate launch tubes and we get to use "hankie" pilots--- which lets the bag get to the end of the line before the chute starts opening much easier hit and easier on all things.  The salt is very low grit count sandpaper the way it grinds on things.

Do your chutes and your pocket book a HUGE $$$ favor ---Make yourself bags,  I have even used cut off Wrangler Iron worker pants legs---left overs when I made some cutoff shorts---

Also tape up the "joint" where your extension tether and chute risers join loop to loop.

Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

velocity

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 02:44:39 PM »
Having packed ribbon chutes hundreds of times when racing the jet dragster I can't agree more with the suggestion of having ONE person solely responsible for the chore. So much the better if it is the driver, but absent that, make the driver check the process EVERY time as that is the person that has the most to lose. By the grace of God, my chutes always came out even if they did rip off a couple of times when the car tripped the 1/4 mile lights north of 300MPH.

My job was easier since I had no salt build-up to deal with, only the occasional chaffing when the driver was late on the brakes and dragged the laundry on the pavement. Others have warned about packing the chute when wet and you want to NEVER do that. Also, understand that things wet with a saline solution will take a lot longer to dry. Some racers have a second chute set (mostly cost prohibitive) and others have taken to assigning a crew member to shake out salt then spray the chute/riser/lanyards with clean water at the end of the run/day allowing it to dry fully before packing. Yeah, it is more work, but some get a greater sense of safety in doing so. You will learn your levels of comfort as you go along. While on the salt, if you happen to run into Tom Burkland or Rex Svoboda, ask them to take a look at your set-up - both are experts at this process and always happy to lend a hand.

As starter Bill Taylor would say, "Stay safe, go fast." Always in that order.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 03:32:57 PM »
You forgot the last one. "...have fun".   :-D
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Online jdincau

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 04:44:23 PM »
No Nathan that was the next to the last, the last was "the throttle works both ways"
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 06:27:31 PM »
I thought a ribbon chute had a numbered starting fold point. Cross forms are different.

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 06:28:56 PM »
Also, Butch is a great help if you can find him. He knows about as much as anyone about packing chutes.