Author Topic: 2015 Season Teaser Time Lapse  (Read 19276 times)

Offline Low profile racing

Re: 2015 Season Teaser Time Lapse
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2015, 05:29:06 PM »

El mirage still had a little water in the east end.
A-PG 500
The Dark Horse

Offline bones

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2015, 08:30:40 PM »
Hey Tiny
  The front end looks to be similar to modern sidecars (LCR)
  The pivots are offset, outside the wheel. A line drawn through the pivots  contacts the road at the at the center of the tires contact patch.
  Trail is adjusted by moving the control arms in or out

Lowrider
NICE job

What is the front wheel--- cbr 150 honda?
I've been thinking about doing this for a long time.
How does it feel with a rigid front?

cheers   Bones

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2015, 07:52:31 AM »
For Jack
I can't tell- is it a CX500 engine? If so- I got the impression (exploded view I saw somewhere) that the cam followers (lifters if you will) are pivoted rather than sliding- is that true? Do they work okay in a modified example of the engine? [I say they "stole" the scheme from the old Victoria Bergmeister V-twin]
Bones, thanks mate
Low profile racing, sorry for the hijack,,,,, :-(
Tiny

Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2015, 12:52:30 PM »
No worries and is he asking about the cam followers because you posted a picture of the rocker arms, the followers ride on the cam itself, I should have a picture somewhere.
A-PG 500
The Dark Horse

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2015, 01:05:19 PM »

I think he's talking about these, this is one set (one cylinder) from a back up engine.
A-PG 500
The Dark Horse

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2015, 12:32:50 AM »
Thanks for the CX500 parts photos.
Yes, that's pretty much what the Victoria followers look like in the pictures I've seen. It strikes me as a clever way to increases 'lifter' reliability, reduce friction, and reduce valve train mass. And Victoria did this design back in about 1952!

P.S.- I thought I remembered a picture of a Victoria follower with a roller-wheel at the cam, but now I can't find the picture.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 12:35:54 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2015, 03:57:54 AM »
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2015, 12:22:46 PM »
I think rollers would reduce friction slightly but for street use service life would probably be too short to justify any gains.
A-PG 500
The Dark Horse

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2015, 12:20:14 PM »
Not sure if anyone has instagram but lots of pics up @bimotofab
A-PG 500
The Dark Horse

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2015, 03:25:20 PM »
How was it riding across what looks to be a rough as hell dry lake bed?
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2015, 10:02:04 PM »
  What is Instagram?  :evil:
     Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2015, 12:00:31 AM »
The lake bed was a little craggy but the ride was pretty smooth.
A-PG 500
The Dark Horse

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2015, 12:20:38 PM »
3rd gear
[/URL]
A-PG 500
The Dark Horse

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2015, 02:55:46 AM »
A-PG 500
The Dark Horse

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2015, 12:32:40 PM »
So epic weekend at El Mirage. I have been playing catch up at work all week and honestly don't have time to dictate out the entire story so here is the down and dirty condensed version. Hopefully I'll have time to write out and eventually post a long version later.

Loaded Thursday night
Left Friday morning at about 830
20% chance of rain at El Mirage on Friday
80% chance in Big Bear (afternoon /evening thunderstorms)
After a fuel stop in Apple Valley we made it into the lake bed at about 1130
Parked the RV and helped SCTA setup shade for car tech (I know the lead tech inspector)
Obtained my log book and filled it out before tech
Unloaded the bike and rolled into tech at about 1230
After filling out papers and having 4 tech inspectors look at the bike they eventually failed my bike because of 2 heim joints that held the front steering(these were used laterally and they weren't comfortable with the forces on them since the ball was trying to be pushed out sideways)
Rolled out of tech at 230 or so and reloaded the bike
Decided that we should stay for rookie orientation at 4-5 pm
Started orientation at 4
Rain surrounded the lake bed and it sprinkled but never rained hard directly on the lake bed
Wrapped up orientation at 5:08
Immediately drove to the Polaris dealer in Victorville (navigation said it was an hour and 2 minute drive)
Arrived at the polaris dealer at 5:55
Bought 2 ball joints for the front of a Polaris utv (they are all the same part)
Ate a fast dinner at Wendy's and then went to home Depot for some miscellaneous hardware and grade 8 bolts
Drove an hour and  a half home in the rain to use the band saw and tig welder
Removed the front wheel and started cutting the front spindle down to accommodate the ball joints
After a few hours of work in the rain a lightening strike takes out literally the power to the entire Valley.  It tries to kick back on twice and no go.
Load up in the dark at 1130
Leave the valley at midnight which is still in total darkness, very strange
Arrive back at the lake bed at 230 am after driving in the rain and refueling
Move the RV away from the other racers so we can use the generator and run angle grinder and welder without disturbing anyone
Park on the outskirts of the lake and work on front end until 430 am
As I am cleaning up and loading the bike back onto the trailer I notice there is about 2 inches of play in the front end, the wheel can wobble side to side because the ball joints allow much more play than the heim joints did
Decided to weld the top and bottom  a arm together to make the front end completely ridged
Fixed the wobbly front end at 530
Sleep till 630
Continue rookie orientation at 7am
Finish rookie orientation at 830
Roll back into tech at 9 am
Pass tech and pay registration fees at 10
Line up for first run at 1015
Make my first rookie pass on front suspension that was designed and built in the dark the night before on the lake bed
Run 114.171 mph and successfully complete the rookie run and get signed off and also get the drivers license to go up to 150mph
We were able to make a second run layer in the day and did a 109 with about 1000 more feet of air density and a slight head wind
After the second run I basically went to the RV and passed out until 8 pm when we woke up for dinner
Evidently the wind had come up at about 3 and it had been windy and dusty all afternoon
We made a pass on Sunday as well and did 113.5 mph in essentially the same conditions as the first run Saturday

For reference the El Mirage Recording is 126.6 mph and the Bonneville record is 115

I learned many many things but hands down the most important is comparing El Mirage to Bonneville is like comparing apples to meatloaf... They are both food but after that they are not alike at all. El Mirage is a complete drag race. 1.3 miles to reach top speed is monumentally hard especially when you are so low on hp.

Speaking of low on HP, after air density and my failure to time it properly and not adjusting the carbs, we expect it was making around 30 hp... I was almost 12 degrees retarded when I checked the timing after the weekend. I suppose this a good thing as now we should have some more power to use in July. Haven't played with gearing yet as we need to test at full power to see what it is capable of.

All in all I wouldn't change anything about the weekend or the course of events, it was hard and difficult but leaving the weekend with the reputation of failing tech as a rookie on Friday and everyone knowing your weekend is over and then showing up on Saturday and racing, priceless is the only way I can describe it.

Lastly, the land speed crowd is hands down the nicest and most relaxed racing community I have ever seen. Definitely no pre-maddonas here, not when it's dusty,  dirty and 100 degrees. Everyone is out there because they love it, and it makes for a very unique group of people that I am proud to be a part of.

I can't wait to see what we can do in July.
Also I have never had or seen anything like this motorcycle that draws so much attention. There was hardly a time on the lake bed when people were not huddled around it and inspecting, pointing, taking pictures, asking questions,  the head tech inspector said he's never seen so many people fumble for their cameras and take pictures when I left the start line, especially when I laid down.

Here is a short clip of the run I made Sunday. It starts at about 19:45

https://youtu.be/wNaMD_ZuBAo[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/wNaMD_ZuBAo[/VIDEO]
A-PG 500
The Dark Horse