Author Topic: ZX14 battery securement  (Read 12836 times)

Offline toledoupsguy

• New folks
ZX14 battery securement
« on: April 24, 2015, 05:34:51 AM »
OK, I hope this doesn't get me flamed too bad.  I have been told by 2 racers that run at LTA (seems like the rules are pretty much the same) that the stock set up was sufficient and they didn't need to do anything else.  The battery is surounded on 5 sides by the aluminum frame.  The 6th side is covered by 2 panels that bolt bolt on.  Does this secure the battery enough or do I need to figure out some way to secure the battery better in the next 5 days?
The man on the top of the mountain didn't fall there.
2014 zx14r in nuclear sunset black and orange.

Offline RansomT

Re: ZX14 battery securement
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 06:27:26 AM »
I'm pulling this from memory, so ..... ZX14 has the battery under the rear of the fuel tank and is surrounded "basically" by the frame.  You access it by removing the panels on the side and sliding it out.  Is that correct?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 09:51:16 AM »
A strip of aluminum across two of the bolts would satisfy a requirement for a metal hold down. 
Check with the ECTA tech  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline joea

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 10:29:36 AM »
stainless, its "encased" in the monocoque frame...requiring removal of die-cast panel to get to it....much more secure, than a metal strap of any type around it...

Offline toledoupsguy

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 03:21:37 PM »
I'm pulling this from memory, so ..... ZX14 has the battery under the rear of the fuel tank and is surrounded "basically" by the frame.  You access it by removing the panels on the side and sliding it out.  Is that correct?
yes, that is correct.

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 03:49:29 PM »
the Kawasaki ZX12 has the battery "securily encased" within the monocoque frame, similar to the 14,, battery securement has always been a "small" point of contenution whenever ive had my 12 tech'ed,, i have since replaced the rubber strap that goes over rhe battery with a metal one, over retention? yes, but its done, there are no more explinations in tech, everyones happy, :-)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline RansomT

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 05:33:21 PM »
yes, that is correct.

As stated above, just a little metal strap over the side should do it.  Ask for me at Tech.

Offline toledoupsguy

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 09:58:11 PM »
Maybe I'm just a freaking moron or maybe it is 36 hours with no sleep and trying to get last minute details done without taking too much time away from my family.  Looking at this picture you will notice the there is a metal strap bolted in that secures the slide out tray for the battery.  As previously stated it is surrounded on 5 sides buy the aluminum frame.  The side not in the frame has this steel strap and two panels on top of it that are bolted in.

Do I really need to add another strap?  If so, where are you suggest???  The battery box cover and side fairing bolt down right on top of this with very little clearance.

Sorry for making this difficult.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 08:33:34 AM »
PM'd

Offline toledoupsguy

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 09:10:41 AM »
Thank you for the PM, will look forward to meeting you this weekend.  OK after a 4 miserable hours of sleep (wife said I tossed and turned all night) I woke up and did this.  Is this good?  A more important question though is can my pictures suffice at inspection or will I have to take the plastic panels off?  The zx14r panels are such a PITA to take on and off.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 09:17:07 AM »
I don't know who's going to inspect your bike -- but I do know that we've had to remove the plastic when our 14 has gone through inspection.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline toledoupsguy

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 09:21:18 AM »
I don't know who's going to inspect your bike -- but I do know that we've had to remove the plastic when our 14 has gone through inspection.
All of the plastic or just enough to show the battery?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 10:12:50 AM »
Carry your pics, the inspector will let you know what he wants to see.  Stop stressing, they will work with you, this is something you are doing for fun  :-D
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline RansomT

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 12:44:39 PM »
Perfect!