Author Topic: Near solid mounted front axle  (Read 13408 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Near solid mounted front axle
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 02:37:07 PM »
One thing that I feel is important if you run a solid mount axle system, is that you do need some way of raising or lowering one or both ends of the axle if you are planning to scale the car to get the weight distribution even on all wheels, and some times you may find out that you want more weight on one or the other rear wheel. If you don't have a way to move one or both of the axles vertically you will only be able to change the tire loads by actually moving weight. I am using Strange Engineering funny car spindles on my lakester as they use a long king pin compared to the axle boss and this allows you to move the spindle vertically with relationship to the axle. The funny car guys use this to cross weight their cars. I am planning to use bellville washers instead of solid spacers to get a very small amount of "suspension" travel. The bellville washers have a very high internal friction when stacked and this provides dampening. Just a thought.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 09:24:45 AM »

Jack, Suspension is important if you are running in Loring and Ohio. Both tracks have bumps.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 09:57:22 AM »
most "Gasser axles are set up for radial tires--- will run on the out side of the tire---if that bothers you have one built to specs
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 05:22:06 PM »
Recently spoke to a guy in Brisbane Aus. who is building a busa powered lakester, he has plans to use high frequency isolator bushes which I think he said are from mining equipment.

Our front axle is straight DOM 1&7/8 1/4 wall mounted narrowly under 3/8 rubber sandwich material.

Personally, I haven't tried the sandwiches.
One thing that I feel is important if you run a solid mount axle system, is that you do need some way of raising or lowering one or both ends of the axle if you are planning to scale the car to get the weight distribution even on all wheels, and some times you may find out that you want more weight on one or the other rear wheel. If you don't have a way to move one or both of the axles vertically you will only be able to change the tire loads by actually moving weight. I am using Strange Engineering funny car spindles on my lakester as they use a long king pin compared to the axle boss and this allows you to move the spindle vertically with relationship to the axle. The funny car guys use this to cross weight their cars. I am planning to use bellville washers instead of solid spacers to get a very small amount of "suspension" travel. The bellville washers have a very high internal friction when stacked and this provides dampening. Just a thought.

Rex

Rex, I think you need to access the bias adjustment and dial in more building than thinking :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 06:15:03 PM »
James,
Regretfully my list of projects with higher priority keep getting in the way. I just finished putting a V 8-60 in my neighbors T speedster, motor mounts, tranny mount, drive line, headers and exhaust, complete new pedal assembly new firewall and then I had a drunk pile into my lakes modified roadster last October and completely tore the rear end out, bent the frame, took out the right rear qtr panel so I have it completely apart, just finished fixing the frame, new qtr panel is next except I just bought a new (to me) Mori Seike lathe so I am presently cleaning it and prepping for paint and then I have to get it up and running. Plus I have "volunteered" to build the header for Steve Nelson's new F class motor and he wants to make Speed Week this summer! But I do have the lakester perimeter frame fabed and I bought an engine from Sumner last year so I have it setting in the frame, I just purchased a set of 17 x 3 aluminum wheels for the front so I can start on the front axle (Strange Eng spindles). So you can see that I am committed to the lakester project and I will get it done and out to the salt it just won't be this year.

Rex 
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 07:02:27 PM »
Rex, if I wasn't so far away, I would be such a smart ass.

Also if I could so accurately list what I was up to at the moment the way you just did I'd be way ahead of where I am.

Right now I'm thinking about a big cup of Margarita mix with a big shot of Don Julio in it instead of the million things I should be doing....... :roll:

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 07:51:17 PM »
Right now I'm thinking about a big cup of Margarita mix with a big shot of Don Julio in it instead of the million things I should be doing.......   rolleyes

Dr. G  I just knew from "the Start"  you are a displaced Texican.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 11:41:04 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 09:58:27 PM »
He seems to have that "Southwest Texas" drawl.....  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 11:41:47 PM »
Cactus juice induced no less

Offline salt27

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 01:58:53 AM »
Rex, if I wasn't so far away, I would be such a smart Acura.

I doubt location has anything to do with you being a smart ass.   :roll:
Ok ok, I know, it takes one to know one.   :-D

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2015, 02:18:21 AM »
... Suspension is important if you are running in Loring and Ohio. Both tracks have bumps...
Thanks Joe.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2015, 06:57:31 AM »
I'm pretty sure I've only drunk tequila with Rex at the startline, for breakfast, and possibly afternoon tea........ Where the rest of you gathered the experience to make qualified comment is beyond me.

:roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2015, 09:07:43 AM »
Well the old C&W song says it best ----"Jose Cuervo is a friend of mine."

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2015, 02:07:06 AM »
Joe Timney- are any lakesters at Wilmington running with just the front axle sprung?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2015, 06:45:50 AM »
Jack,
A number of belly tanks use a single front spring...with dampeners! The concrete pads are smooth but there are a number of bumpy transitions from one pad to another.
j
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com