Author Topic: Pendine sands  (Read 7153 times)

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
Pendine sands
« on: April 15, 2015, 01:58:30 PM »
Just wondering after a conversation I had earlier is it true that the event to be held in the UK this year is fully sanctioned by SCTA/BNI with records  etc. If so bloody marvellous. If not where are the rumours founded.
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline tortoise

Re: Pendine sands
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 02:25:48 PM »
Just wondering after a conversation I had earlier is it true that the event to be held in the UK this year is fully sanctioned by SCTA/BNI with records  etc. If so bloody marvellous. If not where are the rumours founded.
If you are talking about the race on July 4-5, the Vintage Hot Rod Association is quite clear that it's run by their rules with their classes.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 03:04:36 PM »
If you are talking about the race on July 4-5, the Vintage Hot Rod Association is quite clear that it's run by their rules with their classes.

And exclusively for their membership.  :cry:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 03:24:10 PM »
Nope the event for motorcycles 22 to 25 may 2015
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 12:07:55 PM »
Event on Pendine is run to the UKTA rules and regulations, but we have understandings with AMA/BMST and ECTA to run classes from these other associations rule books. Unless the SCTA/BNI are flying someone over  :?this is a British event on sand.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 12:49:54 AM »
Lots of Pendine photos are on Becci Ellis' website.  She is a photographer as well as a racer, like PorkPie and Ray Therat.  The address is http://racing2015.becciellisphotography.com/#!home

There is a nice picture of the jet trike.  The fire is visible in the exhaust. 

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 01:33:07 AM »
Lots of Pendine photos are on Becci Ellis' website.  She is a photographer as well as a racer, like PorkPie and Ray Therat.  The address is http://racing2015.becciellisphotography.com/#!home

There is a nice picture of the jet trike.  The fire is visible in the exhaust. 

Very cool.

How did the monocycle do?  Did you have the chance to ask what happens when he hits the brakes real hard?  :? :evil:
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 04:11:40 AM »
Tom Anable on the Monowheel got over 40 mph speeds on the sand. He has such finesse on the machine that he did not have problems accelerating or braking, once he avoided the surface 'torn up' by the spinning wheels of the two wheelers which became rutted.

PS Becci Ellis is the fastest woman and fastest in the UK on two wheels at the mile speed trial discipline. The only woman in the UK 200 Speed Record Club.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 10:41:42 AM »
I thought Jo Stevenson "Tinkerbell" was in your 200 club.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 12:04:47 PM »
If I may explain ....

The UK 200mph Speed Record Club, administered for the enthusiast body the Speed Record Club, acknowledges those who have set speed records at or above 200 mph.  These will all be two way record average speeds, as laid down by a UK governing body and achieved within the UK.  These records are for water and one, two wheel, three or four wheel land vehicles.  There are sixteen (16) members of this exclusive UK club who now have purple hats. The first member was the late Donald Campbell in 1955. [There is no gender differentiation.]

The UK200+ Club, administered by Straightliners, acknowledges all who run above the 'magic' 200 speed, although for most these may not be speed records, but they could be standing mile speeds.

Jo Stevens has ridden a two way average of 211.045 mph but this was set on a day in 2012 when the class record was achieved at 231.780 mph. Her fastest standing mile run is 243.5 mph (2012). Jo claims to be in retirement at the present time.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 09:37:33 PM »
There is a set of nice photographs, including the monowheel, at Alan Fitzpatrick's site afphotography.zenfolio.com/  Look in the recently posted section and there is a Pendine photo to click.  This brings up the rest of the pictures.

As per Sofadriver's 12 June post, I did not think to ask the monowheel fellow about braking.  One day of the three day event I missed while changing from the gasoline settings to the nitropropane/toluene ones.  The jet trike and the monowheel ran on that day so I did not see them go.

That little beach race sure was a lot of fun.