Author Topic: Sheet Metal Intake Manifold.  (Read 171893 times)

Offline jdincau

Re: Sheet Metal Intake Manifold.
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2015, 01:39:56 PM »
Rich and Fordboy, how do you think the MSD type ignition ( http://www.msdignition.com/product.aspx?id=16008&terms=6214 ) compares to the Electromotive type?
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline John Burk

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2015, 01:46:31 PM »
Be cautious about choosing an Electromotive ignition if you have a large engines with high CR . The irregular cranking speed of this combination keeps them from electronically reorienting itself which it needs to do at each start and the engine won't start . Personal experience on this .

Offline RichFox

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2015, 02:41:11 PM »
Not having used the MSD unit, I really can't compare them. The ElectroMotive people say that their system is better than a Capacitive Discharge system for some reason. But what else would they say?

Offline jdincau

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2015, 02:57:04 PM »
The electromotive unit looks easier to install requiring only one pickup. The MSD requires two pickups one adjustable relative to the other to get them 180 apart and the pair adjustable as a unit to set TDC
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2015, 03:18:06 PM »
Be cautious about choosing an Electromotive ignition if you have a large engines with high CR . The irregular cranking speed of this combination keeps them from electronically reorienting itself which it needs to do at each start and the engine won't start . Personal experience on this .

That is an issue with all ECU systems & it's easily solved with 24V on the starter but not an issue Mike will have with his turbo Cleveland.
You just cant beat the accuracy of a crank trigger system with anything mechanical. Electromotive was the pioneer in the stuff & paved the way for everybody else to follow.
  Sid.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2015, 04:22:37 PM »
The electromotive unit looks easier to install requiring only one pickup. The MSD requires two pickups one adjustable relative to the other to get them 180 apart and the pair adjustable as a unit to set TDC
Yes i found it to be very easy to install. And it worked fine for me. I can not fault the Electromotive ignition. I did not have EFI so I don't know anything about that.

Offline maj

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2015, 06:18:19 PM »
Mike i have not followed your build right through ,. but see comment about fuel rail,
is this an efi build or carb , as your just about at the point of using a standalone ecu even if its for ignition only
that would give you boost control, any sort of ignition you chose like individual coils , lots of logging , list goes on ...

Offline rancheroman

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2015, 09:00:47 PM »
My 2 cents worth....I have an Electromotive unit in my Ranchero, (Pinto 4 cylinder engine) since 2008 with no issues.... I have what I think is high compression..(14.95 to 1) I shift it at 9500 rpm and this ignition has never missed a beat...timing is dead accurate, rev limiter is dead accurate...and I am very happy with it....that's it that's all....Paul...
Paul Calaguiro, 1962 Ranchero F/CGC  140 cu.in. SOHC Ford 4 cyl. Doug Nash 5 speed, 8.8 Ford rear-end. 2004 Dodge SRT-10 street pickup.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2015, 09:22:23 PM »
No experience with the MSD distributorless setups.

I have a high opinion of the regular MSD products though.

ALL of my boosted EFI engines used Electromotive ECU's.    Took a bit to program the curves, but no problems afterward.

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2015, 12:13:48 AM »
Like Rich, I haven't used the Electromotive EFI, but having dialed in the ignition curve on the Electromotive software, I'll say the software is easy to master and change up, you can store and recall different curves, work around knock issues.

I'm not particularly computer confident, but I found it a lot easier than playing Tetris.

And like Paul, it ran high revs without missing a beat.

I also got okay customer support out of the company.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2015, 02:08:04 AM »
Thanks all.

I'd be up a creek without a paddle if it wasn't for your help and advice. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Maj, my motor will be EFI (Bosch 2200cc injectors) with twin turbos.
I don't know jack about electronics, how the engine management system works in conjunction
with the other components but I have good local help on the setup side.

I'm going with the Electromotive unit no matter what. :-D
This is the answer I was looking for and Rich I owe you big time. :cheers:

Downside is I'm stuck with a bunch of expensive, brand new MSD stuff I can't sell locally. :evil:

I'll PM Chris for that contact. Thank you Mike.

Offline maj

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2015, 06:01:44 PM »
i think he needs heavier grade aluminium in the plenum Sid

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2015, 06:16:30 PM »
My 2 cents worth....I have an Electromotive unit in my Ranchero, (Pinto 4 cylinder engine) since 2008 with no issues.... I have what I think is high compression..(14.95 to 1) I shift it at 9500 rpm and this ignition has never missed a beat...timing is dead accurate, rev limiter is dead accurate...and I am very happy with it....that's it that's all....Paul...

Paul's ride is definitely a no joke endeavor... I think he wins the award for
smiles per MPH in that Ranchero, and it always has run like a beast (aside
from melting a few pistons while on nitrous :-) Good seeing you on here &
hoping all is well with the Canada crew! -Luke & Gretta Kohler
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline tauruck

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2015, 11:30:04 PM »
He he he, I was also a Ranchero man but the version we have here is the same as the Australian XB Ute.
Ford 351C power.
That's the truck that got me into this LSR "nightmare". :-D

Sid, thank you and maj is correct. That intake won't work.
The plenum i'm making will have the throttle body on the back side.

I never got a reply from Electromotive so Chris sent me details of someone I could email.
They're probably very busy but maybe my mail got rejected. Who knows?.
Thanks Chris. :cheers: