Author Topic: Sheet Metal Intake Manifold.  (Read 171889 times)

Offline Frankie7799

Re: Sheet Metal Intake Manifold.
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2015, 07:12:16 PM »
Its too bad you are around the world from me. I get just as much satisfaction being a part of something from the ground floor ( if not moreso ) as I do once its done. Its a good feeling to say yeah, I had a hand in something, even if its a just a small hand. I enjoyed my time being around Sparky and getting to do the things I did on Miss Liberty.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2015, 07:56:29 PM »
Thanks Frankie.

I actually wish I lived closer to you guys. :-D

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2015, 07:49:13 PM »

Mike said:

I'm learning as I go  and the ideal situation would be to have a really good machine to weld Aluminum
but I only have 220v house hold power. The good machines are all 380v but I'm still useless at Ally welding.

[/quote]

Mike,
You really don't need 380 3 phase, I have 220 in my place and have had no problem running my old welder at over 400 amps and my new Miller 350 works perfect. My kid built a new intake for his KA Nisson motor last year with the new Miller and it was perfect. Of course he could weld aluminum to balsa wood and it wouldn't break! I don't know if you follow this web site, weldingtipsandtricks.com
by Jody Collier, but he really shows lots of great tips for TIG, MIG and stick welding. He just did some aluminum using a argon- helium mix gas which was really terrific. Go on his web site and sign up and you will get a great video about welding every week.

Can't say enough about you project and especially your "bull dog" get it done style.

Rex
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 07:51:33 PM by Rex Schimmer »
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline BarryA

• New folks
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2015, 12:22:04 AM »
..I'm learning as I go  and the ideal situation would be to have a really good machine to weld Aluminum
but I only have 220v house hold power. The good machines are all 380v but I'm still useless at Ally welding......

Mike, if you haven't checked out the link Rex posted to weldingtipsandtricks.com , do so - there is a wealth of info in an easy to understand style.
I also only have a 220v TIG but have found some pre-heat works wonders on heavier material.

Mike, no one shows up here. Not a soul. Local interest is at zero. I work like you do only with a little more space in the shop.
I really thought guys over here would be queuing up to get involved.

Past experience showed that as soon as you make it big, they come. These guys just want to wear the uniform and pose. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

I can still not fathom this..... a vehicle like this being built in South Africa and even the guys trying to get our local LSR event up to scratch haven't picked up what you're doing, or not caring....wtf?
You can bet that when I get to JHB again you'll be one of my first stops!
The laws of physics do allow it, but they don't encourage it....

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2015, 02:55:58 AM »

Mike said:

I'm learning as I go  and the ideal situation would be to have a really good machine to weld Aluminum
but I only have 220v house hold power. The good machines are all 380v but I'm still useless at Ally welding.

Mike,
You really don't need 380 3 phase, I have 220 in my place and have had no problem running my old welder at over 400 amps and my new Miller 350 works perfect. My kid built a new intake for his KA Nisson motor last year with the new Miller and it was perfect. Of course he could weld aluminum to balsa wood and it wouldn't break! I don't know if you follow this web site, weldingtipsandtricks.com
by Jody Collier, but he really shows lots of great tips for TIG, MIG and stick welding. He just did some aluminum using a argon- helium mix gas which was really terrific. Go on his web site and sign up and you will get a great video about welding every week.

Can't say enough about you project and especially your "bull dog" get it done style.

Rex
[/quote]
I believe the 220v down there is like NZ & Aus 240v & that is standard wall outlet power just like 110v is here.
  Sid.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2015, 04:41:03 AM »
Thanks Barry, Rex and Sid.

The aluminum welding thing is best left to the pros.
I do a lot and some of it is outside my field of expertise
but welding the soft stuff needs a skill I don't have.
Duncan Thersby is my guy. I'd love to walk around with my chest out saying "I did that" but
I'm humble enough to know when something is not my gig!!!!.

I need to concentrate on finding/earning bucks to finish this car.

Barry, you're welcome here anytime. Stay as long as you like.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2015, 12:23:58 PM »
The intake requires a short crank trigger compatible distributor to "AVOID" the left front runner.

I managed to borrow one from the local importer and the cap is still too big (OD) and I don't want the runner cocked at an angle.

I contacted Jesel and Rob Remesi replied that they had a belt drive distributor kit for the Ford.
I'm waiting to hear if they have one for the Cleveland because the one in picture must be for the Windsors.
Not sure how it will work with the positioning of the water pump (belt driven) and the motor plate.

If they do have one that will work I have the space ahead of the motor.

Another reason I wish I lived in the US. :x

Offline RichFox

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2015, 12:39:15 PM »
I like the Electromotive distributor less ignition. The trigger wheel doesn't take up any room and adjusting timing is way easy. Have you looked into that?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 12:40:56 PM by RichFox »

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2015, 05:27:20 PM »
I agree Rich, I have two Electromotive units on the liner for the dual plugs & the EFI. Only thing on the engine is the crank trigger. Lots of stuff shows up on Ebay, I bought another complete 8 cyl Tech 3 system a while back as a second spare for for $320.
  Sid. 

Offline tauruck

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2015, 12:56:45 AM »
When I emailed the guy at Jesel I made sure I told him my motor was a 351C.
He sent me lots of info with pics and quotes. When I wrote back to ask if the kit will fit he says
it's only for Windsors!!!!!!. WTF, can't he read?. No biggie.

You guys need to help me on this please. I come from a Holley carb background on Torker type manifolds
with an MSD 7AL. All the new stuff with fuel rails, sheet metal intakes and fancy ignitions is totally new and
foreign.
What makes it worse is that they guys here that are experts work on imports but I guess the V8 can't be too different.
If I can eliminate the dizzy I'm home free. I have a new mold for the Plenum waiting with 15 layers of Carbon ready to go
but I've been holding back for obvious reasons.

I need more detail. Thanks in advance Rich and Sid. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2015, 10:07:19 AM »
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&ved=0CGcQFjAL&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.racetep.com%2F04_05_Catalog.pdf&ei=EM-CVfP8KpGpogTbwoCoBg&usg=AFQjCNG1ANGqFjyyVgZ3TJ7vZnkGMUvL7A&sig2=XMPJ_i6YxeIKzvUEDAO3Mg&bvm=bv.96042044,d.cGU     This has some pictures of the electromotive set up. A toothed wheel and coil packs on the valve covers or something like that. A small controller nearby. I mounted my wheel behind the damper. So nothing stuck out. I notice they have a kit for Windsor type engines but not yours. That doesn't mean anything. I never knew they had kits at all. It's very easy to mount on your own.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 10:12:32 AM by RichFox »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2015, 10:16:56 AM »
The kit I saw on the Pantera site fits the Cleveland.
I'm waiting for Electromotive to reply to my email.

Rich, You bailed me out big time on this. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
It's the answer for sure. I can't wait to plug that distributor shaft!!!!!. :-D

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2015, 10:38:14 AM »
I have the older Tech 3 stuff that I bought used because I'm a dumpster diver racer but it has everything to run a boosted V8 with EFI.
My engine is a Keith Black & I have the trigger wheel, toothed oil pump drive & serpentine alternator drive all on the crank snout.
A point to remember here, if you are running anything other than a mag, run an alternator.
  Sid.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2015, 10:38:38 AM »
Mike,

The Milwaukee Midget used an Electromotive "wasted spark" distributorless system.    No dizzy, no problem, new record.

Electromotive also has ECU's that can control EFI as well as spark timing.     Their tech dept. should be able to help you out on selection.

PM the midget/Chris for the name of his contact there.

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein