Author Topic: Spark plug tool question  (Read 7515 times)

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
Spark plug tool question
« on: April 12, 2015, 10:21:14 PM »
I have a question.

I have seen a magnifying glass looking type tool for examining spark plugs.

Can you please tell me what this tool is used for? I am newbie to this so I am clueless. I always thought you looked at the color of the plug and depending on the color you want you went richer or leaner.

So please help me understand this.

Thank you,
Clay

Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: Spark plug tool question
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 10:30:39 PM »
Yep, thats what it's for & that's why you hear the term "reading the plug's". I still do it even with a data logger & an EGT gauge.
  Sid.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 10:37:24 PM »
On the race gas thread it is explained how to look for small balls of aluminum to read detonation.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 10:47:17 PM »
Yes you need a magnifier to really see the fine details of the plug and pickup early signs of detonation and mixture color bands etc.

Something similar to this works but best is to use it in bright sunshine
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garage-Sale-Spark-Plug-Light-and-Magnifier,2642.html

http://www.strappe.com/plugs.html
http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/reading-spark-plugs.html
http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/how-to-read-plugs.html

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 07:39:50 AM »
You MUST learn to read plugs to become any sort of 'decent' tuner.     Learn under the tutelage of someone who knows what they are looking at, AND, is willing to show you what to look for.

Racers are by and large a friendly and helpful group.   As long as you are patient and don't ask at a bad time, most would be willing to help you.

BUT, do your homework just the same, by reading the suggested information . . . . . .
 :cheers:
Fordboy
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 07:41:23 AM by fordboy628 »
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 09:30:43 AM »
We've all seen it - offered up by Champion and recreated in the index of a lot of automotive repair manuals - pictures of 8-10 plugs suffering from different maladies.

BUT - those tend to be general pictures without the detail to really read a plug well.

I know I'm not well versed enough to make a confident change in a tune, even with a magnifying glass.

Is anyone aware of a more detailed publication - preferably with photos - to better dial in a tune by reading plugs?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 10:54:01 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong Clay but I believe you're running a two stroke aren't you? They are a whole different animal to four stroke gas or fuel, you might want to get with some of the serious sled guys in UT.
  Sid.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 08:23:40 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong Clay but I believe you're running a two stroke aren't you? They are a whole different animal to four stroke gas or fuel, you might want to get with some of the serious sled guys in UT.
  Sid.

This article, referenced in one of the ones posted above by Hotrod, written by Gordon Jennings, is about 2 stroke plug reading:

http://www.strappe.com/plugs.html
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 07:41:51 PM »
At the salt..Ask Rick Gold at the ERC fueling area... Always been good for me and it's a good way to see if MY thinking is correct.. Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 10:39:05 AM »
  Sid.

Hi Sid,

Yes that is correct, I am running a two stroke.

Thank you,
Clay
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 10:39:45 AM »
Thank you all for the responses, looks like I have some reading to do :)