Author Topic: Performance Racing Magazine | June 2015 issue features Land Speed Racing  (Read 11762 times)

velocity

|||   News Alert   |||

The lead cover feature of Performance Racing Magazine's June 2015 issue will be on land speed racing.

The magazine asked me to examine the sport from a business perspective, an angle I haven't covered in many years but enjoyed developing immensely. You will see some very familiar names, some brand new and an unvarnished statement of serious concern from Kenny Duttweiler that caps the piece.

While the profit margins are rather low for high performance vendors selling the the LSR crowd, there is a magical allure that seems to outweigh the bottom line. Keep an eye out for this introspective.

Read the issue on line at: http://www.performanceracing.com/magazine/
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 01:33:51 AM by velocity »

Offline Koncretekid

I followed your link but I don't see any reference to the article or how to read it online. 

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Looks like the current issue on line is April.  We'll need to sit tight for a few weeks until the June issue arrives, but congratulations, Louise.  :cheers:

Me?  I'll just go to my mail box!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Performance Racing -- that isn't Performance Racing Industry magazine, is it?  I get the PRI - and there's sure as heck nothing much in there.  Let's see what else shows up at the mailbox.  Good work on getting in that mag, however - good to hear that you didn't get "blackballed" from the whole frickin' industry by the jerks at GGG.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

velocity

Yes, boys and girls. . . it is the June issue and you will be able to read it on  line when it publishes. The link was provided for those who are not subscribers. Actually, go there now and subscribe, it is free.

And Yes, the correct title is Performance Racing Industry Magazine, my bad for slipping into journo slang.

And no, the Goodguys are not jerks. The vast majority of people at Goodguys are great folks and for 12 years treated me very well, very professional.

I can't let the actions of a couple of lame cowards besmirch the fine work of others and must speak up in their defense.

The land speed racing community got hammered when I was cast asunder because now there is nowhere where you can find a regular narrative on the sport. It is that which I lament the most. Of course the coarse whiner who got my space might start covering LSR, but I would not hold my breath on that one.

Me? I will always write, shoot and be published. It is what I do and will continue to do -- but it looks like I may be turning focus to different subject matter after the book is done.

Offline Stan Back

I believe the Bonneville Racing News is still being published.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
It's a small audience in the US for LSR reading - a slivered amalgamation of portions of sections.

Kind of like cream. 

Offline jdincau

I believe the Bonneville Racing News is still being published.
:cheers:
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Yep, and SCTA racing news. DW posts info on face book and and Landracing.com.  :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

velocity

Yes boys, Bonneville Racing News and the SCTA Racing News are regularly published, but they are not widely distributed or read - save by the LSR community. I focus reaching on a national and international audience of many thousands of mainstream readers. The Gazette, albeit small by most national mag circulation numbers, had broad geographic circulation.

Whereas, every article I write, or picture published for the New York Times, Washington Post, or Smithsonian Magazine has MILLIONS of eyeballs.

If we are to save the salt it will require the nation to support the preservation of national treasure. And you can only care about what you know about and you can only know about it if someone tells you about it.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
I'm looking forward to your article, Louise.  I have been getting the magazine for a few years and the articles in it are usually aimed at specific business aspects of racing -- like a "driveshaft/clutch/differential" article, or a "Running your local race track for fun AND profit" story.  I wonder what the Bville article will be. . .

For those looking forward to the June issue -- right now the issue on the back of the toilet is April '15 --and the new one comes out late in the preceding month.  I get them by mail subscription (which is free if you can qualify by being a racing business owner).  In other words -- you probably won't see it 'til 20 May or so.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator

The magazine asked me to examine the sport from a business perspective, an angle I haven't covered in many years but enjoyed developing immensely. You will see some very familiar names, some brand new and an unvarnished statement of serious concern from Kenny Duttweiler that caps the piece.

While the profit margins are rather low for high performance vendors selling the the LSR crowd, there is a magical allure that seems to outweigh the bottom line. Keep an eye out for this introspective.

I'll be interested in getting your angle on it, Louise.  The business of LSR, despite the cache that the Bonneville brand brings to the table, is hard to capitalize on in any definable business metric.

You can sell the sizzle, but it's a petite portion of a lean cut to start with.

velocity

The June issue is up on the PRI website and ready for viewing

Navigate to: http://www.performanceracing.com/magazine/

Offline tallguy

Great article, Louise.  You are a pillar of the LSR community.

Thank you for doing what you do.

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Congratulations on a very informative article Louise. I am glad for any kind of LSR publicity and this was well written.

The article was car and Bonneville focused, but there is much more to LSR. Between Speedweek and BMST, there are just as many motorcycles participating in LSR as cars. And there are many other venues such as El Mirage and the airport tracks in Mohave, Texas, and on the east coast. Those can be mentioned in articles too.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer