Author Topic: Belly Tank Build Diary  (Read 362731 times)

Offline Mike Brown

Re: Belly Tank Build Diary
« Reply #465 on: July 07, 2020, 08:31:51 PM »
I have an in car video if someone could chime in on how to post it or a link to it.  The first pass off the trailer was with no ice in the intercooler was over 200 mph.  The only engine change for the season was from a MAF tuneup to speed density with allowed me to get rid of the air filter hanging out the side of the car.  At the most this resulted in 20 additional horsepower.  We did not make a fourth gear pull on the dyno after the tune up to get an actual maximum horsepower number.  I also added a fairing behind the new smaller cage.  I was going to try a run with the fairing to see if it helped or hurt the speed but it reduced the buffeting on my helmet so much I decided to leave it on.  I did reduce the shift point from 6,400 rpm to 5,800 rpm which was closer to maximum torque verse maximum horsepower.  The car pulled well in third and fourth gears, I am still pedaling the car in first and second to keep from spinning the tires too hard. 

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #466 on: July 07, 2020, 09:07:54 PM »
Here ya go. How to Upload a Video to YouTube NEWEST VERSION  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O7iUiftbKU
Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #467 on: July 07, 2020, 11:59:36 PM »
Good job, Mike.  A lot of thinking and effort has paid off.

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #468 on: July 08, 2020, 02:04:15 PM »
The in car video is on Facebook.  This link should get you to it.  https://www.facebook.com/michael.e.brown.754/videos/10214471327655878/

Online Stan Back

« Reply #469 on: July 08, 2020, 04:08:11 PM »
Gotta join to see it I guess.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline desotoman

« Reply #470 on: July 08, 2020, 05:56:39 PM »
Gotta join to see it I guess.

Stan, I don't do Facebook either. But they will usually let you look at stuff for a few minutes, unless you go there all the time. I saw the video above and when it says to register in small letters it says not now. I click that and am good for a minute or two. But I only go there when there is a link like above. Hope that helps you.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #471 on: July 08, 2020, 06:31:15 PM »
Click on the link then "not now" to see the video if you don't have a Facebook account. 

Online Stan Back

« Reply #472 on: July 08, 2020, 06:51:38 PM »
Thanx, guys!

From a (retired) driver's standpoint, I found a couple of things distracting ? just from my experience at El Mirage and Bonneville.

One ? the patchwork of black rubber stripes.  I can't remember driving over those ? Kinda distracted me.

And, two ? Turning out to the right.  I immediately thought "what's wrong?".  Only ever running No. 1 and El Mirage, I can't remember turning out right.  Of course, I can't remember much of anything any more.

I do remember being given options several times ? right? left? right? left? etc.

Thanx for posting the video and congratulations on a 200+ run.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #473 on: July 08, 2020, 08:48:43 PM »
The in car video is on Facebook.  This link should get you to it.  https://www.facebook.com/michael.e.brown.754/videos/10214471327655878/

Sorry I 'm not a joiner  :-(

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Online Stan Back

« Reply #474 on: July 08, 2020, 09:11:51 PM »
I'm not either ? for sure!

But I said "Not Now" and got to see it.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #475 on: July 09, 2020, 01:13:16 AM »
... the patchwork of black rubber stripes...
Reminds me of rumble strips on approaches to toll gates.
Nice video!
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #476 on: July 09, 2020, 10:28:24 AM »
I'm not either ? for sure!

But I said "Not Now" and got to see it.

When it comes to either Facebook or Instagram I say Not Ever!. Mark Zuckerberg makes big bucks off of the content that digital-sharecroppers aka members give him for FREE. Why doesn't he do profit-sharing  :laugh:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #477 on: July 09, 2020, 11:27:04 AM »
Stan... the runways are mostly used by airplanes that leave rubber skid marks every landing.... and they are center striped... so think of it as street racing back in the day.... this weeks racing starts before last weeks.... so you run past someone else's wheelspin marks....  Of course it could be because old people are easily distracted....
now where did I leave my beer.....  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #478 on: July 23, 2020, 07:46:18 PM »
After adding an engine coolant catch tank I had a 3/8" NPT bung in the top of my intercooler tank.  I take temperatures after each run with a non-contact infared thermometer of the tank but cannot get the temperature of the actual water.  I thought that it would be nice to see the water temperature directly.  I ordered a pair of thermometers with a stainless steel probe.  I machined a brass fitting with 3/8" pipe threads on one end and for a 1/8" compression fitting on the other.  A custom plastic ferrule was machined to fit the shank of the thermometer.  I could then screw the adapter into the tank and secure the thermometer with the compression fitting.  It looks good we will see how well it works the next time out. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #479 on: July 23, 2020, 07:46:56 PM »
A photo of the completed installation.