Author Topic: Belly Tank Build Diary  (Read 361838 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Belly Tank Build Diary
« Reply #390 on: April 25, 2019, 06:15:04 PM »
You might try a Crane HI-6 ignition box. It has built-in switches that adjust the rev limit in small steps and does it by dropping random cylinders- a "soft" rev limit.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #391 on: April 26, 2019, 01:53:33 PM »
Stainless1 and Neil,

I have used MSD6AL ignition control boxes over the years with great success.  They have a soft rev limit system and do a great job.  The LSA engine and electronic control has coil near plug distributorless ignition.  I don't know that there are aftermarket ignition controls that are compatible with the GM E67 controller.  I took the car back to the tuner and he had simply forgot to increase the rpm setting.  He chose to raise the rpm limit from 6,200 rpm to 6,600 rpm.  In his experience the factory valve springs start to allow valve float at 6,700 rpm.  Many aftermarket controllers allow soft rev limits by retarding timing and fuel before turning off cylinders or shutting the engine down, this controller does not.  I plan to set the shift light at 6,000 rpm and the 6,600 limit will allow me cushion to shift before the controller shuts the engine down.  Setting the shift light at 5,500 rpm leaves a lot of horsepower as the torque of this supercharged engine continues to climb well past 6,000 rpm. 

I don't see this car on the salt as the aero is poor and modern lakesters are running almost twice the speed of this car.  For now the mile and mile and half events are where we will be concentrating our efforts. 

Thanks for the comments. 

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #392 on: April 27, 2019, 08:13:46 PM »
Ya – but you can run 5 miles!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #393 on: May 18, 2019, 05:15:27 PM »
That's a good  display of data logging usefulness.
If the shifts weren't so lazy, ETs would be in the tens! :roll:
I don't understand why a timing belt blower drive of the same ratio wouldn't fit? Problem with minimum bend radius of toothed belt?

Jack said that I could be in the tens if the shifts were not so lazy.  Well I did make a run in 10's at 134 mph.  The additional horsepower from the increased boost and tune up with 104 octane gasoline made a big difference in the performance at the drag strip.  The new blower belt idler pulley is working well, the belt has not shredded.  Still running the 2.48:1 rear gears, rolling off the starting line with lazy shifts.  I hope to make it to 200 mph in the mile at Blytheville in June. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #394 on: June 14, 2019, 09:52:02 AM »
We ran at the ECTA event in Blytheville.  I managed to increase the speed from 183mph to 192mph.  Still looking for that 200mph pass.  The increased horsepower was noticeable.  The car has to be driven as it will spin the tires in the first three gears.  The next changes will need to be aero. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #395 on: June 14, 2019, 10:03:50 AM »
I have attached the log from the 192mph pass.  You can see the throttle position on the white trace of the bottom graph.  I was definitely pedaling the car in the lower gears.  At the 23 second mark you can see on the yellow trace the rpm has a short spike.  That was from tire spin while in third gear.  The purple trace on the middle graph is MAP which reflects intake pressure.  Subtracting 14.7 gets the actual boost.  Boost was consistent.  The purple trace on the top graph is the fuel mixture from a wide band oxygen sensor in the exhaust.  The output from the Innovate LC2 controller is connected to the AEM data logger.  This reads in lambda.  A reading of 1 is stoichiometric for gas.  Readings below this are rich and above are lean.  The tune up is definitely on the rich side.  There may be some additional performance available by leaning the mixture down.  It is definitely a "safe" tune up.  The entire run takes about 26 seconds.  
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 05:09:34 PM by Mike Brown »

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #396 on: June 14, 2019, 03:03:16 PM »
Don Gilmore (Iron Dinosaur) had Jim Dohms of dohmscreativephotography.com taking photos at the event.  I can't say enough good things about Jim's photographic abilities.  I have attached a photo of the chute deployed on the 192 mph pass.  The photo was taken a great distance from the car through a very long lens and it came out great.  
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 05:09:12 PM by Mike Brown »

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #397 on: June 15, 2019, 02:06:00 AM »
Good going!
I thought I had looked at the Blytheville results and hadn't seen any lakesters- don't know how I missed yours.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #398 on: June 15, 2019, 09:09:23 AM »
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #399 on: June 20, 2019, 11:03:00 AM »
I am thankful that my wife helps crew this effort.  With that being said and having twice the horsepower I don't seem to be able to pass her in the truck with the lakester down the return road.....she must be the better driver.  The planes in the background are in various states of disassembly. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #400 on: June 20, 2019, 11:05:16 AM »
I included a photo of the chute just coming out near the finish line.  I can't say enough good things about Jim Dohm's photography skills. 

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #401 on: June 20, 2019, 12:43:00 PM »
Great pic just as the laundry is coming out! I like the info from your AEM data acquisition device. Duke and I are just getting ours installed, hope we can get the same kind of info.

What aero twiks are  you thinking about?

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #402 on: June 21, 2019, 10:07:23 AM »
Rex,

I have already scheduled time with a fabricator to reduce the height and width of my cage.  When I built the original cage I used pre-bent tubes and was very concerned about vibration affecting my vision if my helmet contacted the cage.  So there was much more room than necessary.  The car runs very smooth possibly due to suspension on both ends of the car.  The cage is about 3"-4" taller than it needs to be and about 2"-3" wider than it needs to be so we will reduce the area hanging out in the air stream.  I am also going to change to the speed density tune-up which will eliminate the MAF sensor and intake system designed to reduce turbulence at the sensor.  This will eliminate an air filter and intake tubing hanging out in the air stream.  I will then make some fairings to improve the aerodynamics of the suspension links that are also in the air stream.  The windscreen could also use some improvement.  The car started out very basic, my initial goal was to get down the track safely and reliably, slow down well and am only now working on going faster. 

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #403 on: June 21, 2019, 05:55:20 PM »
Rex,

I have already scheduled time with a fabricator to reduce the height and width of my cage.  When I built the original cage I used pre-bent tubes and was very concerned about vibration affecting my vision if my helmet contacted the cage.  So there was much more room than necessary.  The car runs very smooth possibly due to suspension on both ends of the car.  The cage is about 3"-4" taller than it needs to be and about 2"-3" wider than it needs to be so we will reduce the area hanging out in the air stream.  I am also going to change to the speed density tune-up which will eliminate the MAF sensor and intake system designed to reduce turbulence at the sensor.  This will eliminate an air filter and intake tubing hanging out in the air stream.  I will then make some fairings to improve the aerodynamics of the suspension links that are also in the air stream.  The windscreen could also use some improvement.  The car started out very basic, my initial goal was to get down the track safely and reliably, slow down well and am only now working on going faster.

The oil rig {roll cage} is in need of a redesign. On my car the first cage my son and I built was also to high we had a good time getting things slowly up to speed while running at Maxton for the first few years. By the time we hit Wilmington the car was changed a lot from its early appearance and lots faster. Going to narrower front tires and loosing those front brakes will help a bunch also but  your running ECTA so the brake part wont pass unfortunately. This is the fun part of building a special construction car theres always going to be things to change for improved performance.
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #404 on: July 03, 2019, 05:57:44 PM »
Mike Wagner at Cornfield Customs (catchy name) has the car to fabricate a new more aerodynamic cage.  The first step is removal of the old cage.