Author Topic: Belly Tank Build Diary  (Read 361836 times)

Offline Mike Brown

Re: Belly Tank Build Diary
« Reply #270 on: September 09, 2017, 06:29:55 PM »
I attached the windshield to the body using 1/4-20 phillips truss head screws with 1-1/4" diameter fender washers to spread the load. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #271 on: September 09, 2017, 06:39:23 PM »
My experience with clear acrylic sheet is that it is extremely notch sensitive.  Glazing shops routinely score a line and crack acrylic verses sawing it.  The same goes for holes which concentrate the stress.  So I make large holes using Uni-Bits or negative rake drill bits designed specifically for plastics.  These bits "scrape" the material out verses cutting.  I use a very slow speed.  The hole then gets the tool marks polished out and the edges chamfered using a single flute countersink.  To prevent the threads of the fastener from touching the acrylic I machine a spacer that is a slip fit into the hole.  This spacer also prevents the fastener from tightening down on the acrylic.  The spacers are machined .005" taller than the material.  To make the windshield easy to remove when transporting I used Nutserts in the body so there is no need to get to fasteners inside the body. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #272 on: September 09, 2017, 06:55:28 PM »
We traveled to Maine for the Loring Timing event.  The staff was spectacular.  We made three runs on Saturday.  The first at approximately 125 mph, the second at approximately 150 mph and the last at 191.87 mph.  I did not change the engine cooling water all day.  On the last run the intercooler water temperature was over 140 degrees after the return trip to the pits.  I suspect that the ECU was dialing out some timing from the engine.  I was also not able to concentrate on the tachometer so I was shifting late when I felt the car stop accelerating due to the rev limiter.  I plan to eliminate the tachometer and just use a shift light.  I think that there was room for a higher speed if the shifts were quicker.  The chassis performed well.  There was no shimmy on the front wheels at all.  The original shimmy issue must have been caused by the Speedway Motors steel steering arms flexing.  I would also like to add a logger to the OBD2 port on the controller so I can review the engine performance.  

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #273 on: September 09, 2017, 07:00:17 PM »
There was no record at Loring for B/BFL so I established it at 191.87 mph.  

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #274 on: September 14, 2017, 07:10:43 AM »
My son helped servicing the car between runs.  Andy Welker told me that the track was rough on chutes.  Three runs and there were holes in the bag that holds the main chute.  I will send the bag back to Bob Stroud to be reworked. 

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #275 on: September 14, 2017, 11:39:06 AM »
Cool! Way to go!
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #276 on: September 14, 2017, 09:04:24 PM »
The bag is dead meat flopping around out there, it's always going to get beat to death. I cut them off & toss them. If you're packing the tow line with long loops as shown in that pic you are running the risk of it tangling. 10 to 12" overlays work best creating a tighter pack to also prevent pilot spring creep.
  Sid.

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #277 on: November 06, 2017, 07:05:55 PM »
After my run at Loring I felt a need for more data.  I added an OBII data logger from AEM.  The logger has a built in 3 axis accelerometer along with the ability to log 42 different codes in real time from the engine ECU.  This will allow me to see what is going on with intake air temperature, timing, fuel, supercharger boost and shift point rpm etcetera.  So far it has been an easy installation with a two wire connection to the GMLAN output, power, ground and a switch input to control when the logging starts and stops.  I am anxious for the 2018 ECTA season as Blytheville Arkansas is only an 8 hour drive from home. 

Online Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #278 on: November 16, 2017, 01:23:00 PM »
Mike,
Duke and I will be watching with great interest your installation and use of the AEM data recorder. That is the same unit that Nathan Stewart suggested for us, Nathan said that it has 8 analog channels which may be enough for our use but being able to go with the CAN system certainly opens up lots of potential information. (Maybe more than we really need!)

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #279 on: November 16, 2017, 02:16:31 PM »
Always be careful what you ask for Rex!  :-o :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #280 on: December 11, 2017, 03:59:37 PM »
I was at the PRI show and asked for some assistance at the AEM booth with the programming to make the LS oil pressure signal read correctly on the AEM logger and it turned out that I was speaking with Nathan.  What a small world.  He showed me how easy it actually was to do.  My logger is up and running. 

I used SFI45.1 roll bar padding from Jegs on the round tubes of my cage.  It was really stiff and prone to cracking when I installed it.  With the very little UV exposure outside it has turned brown and cracking more.  Any suggestions on a better SFI45.1 round roll bar padding? 

Thanks,

Mike Brown

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #281 on: December 11, 2017, 04:00:58 PM »
The AEM wiring harness was expensive so I purchased the individual parts (listed in the manual) and made my own.  It turned out great. 

Mike Brown

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #282 on: February 04, 2018, 01:19:24 PM »
I need a shift on the car as it was too difficult to drive and concentrate on the tach at the same time.  My tach came with a shift light but it was too large to fit in a location that could be easily seen and did not interfere with vision of the track.  I created new shift using a socket for a clearance light and a new yellow LED bulb.  I used the connector and section of wire from the original shift light as a pigtail.  The connections were soldered and secured with heat shrink tubing that has adhesive inside.  I fabricated a quick bracket that will be secured to the tubing with wire ties. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #283 on: February 04, 2018, 01:21:02 PM »
The shift light is high enough to be seen while driving and does not obstruct the view. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #284 on: February 12, 2018, 05:46:12 PM »
When I built the car there was that rush to get it running.  I plumbed the engine coolant overflow into intercooler tank while I was figuring out where to put a dedicated tank.  So far the engine coolant has not overflowed into the intercooler tank but planning for that eventuality I fabricated a dedicated coolant overflow tank.  I included a dip tube so that if the coolant did overflow when hot it could draw water back from the overflow tank when it cooled down.  I added a drain and a breather.  Packaging in a belly tank is always the challenge (I heard that on this forum from someone!).  I was able to squeeze in a tank made from 4" diameter aluminum 12" tall. 

We are registered for the April ECTA event in Blytheville Arkansas.  Excited to run on the new track.