Author Topic: Belly Tank Build Diary  (Read 361815 times)

Offline Podunk

Re: Belly Tank Build Diary
« Reply #240 on: February 14, 2017, 09:46:40 PM »
Hydrogen Peroxide ? Would that put you in a fuel class?

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #241 on: March 06, 2017, 04:19:11 PM »
All of the mile/mile and a half events now require front brakes.  I did not want to bolt on some metric GM calipers and rotors that would be hanging out in the wind, the car already has poor aero and I did not want to make it worse.  I decided to fabricate some disc brakes that will fit inside the rims of the front tires.  I had already machined the vented rotors off of the hubs I am using.  I really like how the Wilwood rotors on the rear are driven by castellated dogs and held in place with a large snap ring.  I decided that I could do a similar design for the front keeping it compact.  I machined drive slots in my hubs.  There were diagonal gussets cast into the hub.  I machined the gussets down to the same depth as the slots (for 1/4" thick rotors).  They were drilled and tapped 1/4-20 for bolts to secure the rotors to the hubs. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #242 on: March 06, 2017, 04:20:38 PM »
I machined some 1/4" steel plate for rotors.  The tabs fit into the slots machined in the hubs. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #243 on: March 06, 2017, 04:23:32 PM »
The finished rotors and hubs.  I will use graded bolts with safety wire to secure the rotors to the hubs.  I have small SC series Wilwood calipers.  I will fabricate the caliper mounts next.  The plan is to put the front brakes on a hand brake. 

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #244 on: March 06, 2017, 05:12:56 PM »
Mike;

Who made your aluminum tilt trailer and how do you like it?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #245 on: March 06, 2017, 07:26:58 PM »
Mike;

Who made your aluminum tilt trailer and how do you like it?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Neil,

The trailer is Aluma brand.  Their website is alumaklm.com.  My trailer has a GVW of 5,800 5,200 pounds and is a single torsion axle.  The trailer tows great and is sufficiently strong for my belly tank car.  I had very specific goals of a single axle, light weight and tilting.  I don't think this trailer is specifically listed for hauling cars but it works great for me.  Normally you would drive vehicles on to the tilted trailer and when the CG is forward enough it lowers against a dampener cylinder.  Getting unloaded is the reverse.  Since it is impractical to drive my car on and off I added the manual winch and tilt cylinder.  I can hold the bed tilted for loading and unloading without the chance of it going back to the flat position.  I think that the trailer is well built with LED lights and other nice features.  I hope this helps.  

Mike Brown
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 08:51:14 AM by Mike Brown »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #246 on: March 06, 2017, 08:12:47 PM »
Thanks, Mike. I've been considering buying an aluminum tilt trailer so your opinion of your trailer helps me quite a bit. Do you know your trailer model number?

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #247 on: March 06, 2017, 08:57:51 PM »
I think the Crosley won the 1951 Indianapolis demolition derby.

C'mon Joe, everyone knows that no Crosley has ever WON a demo derby.  :cheers:
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #248 on: March 07, 2017, 08:49:56 AM »
Thanks, Mike. I've been considering buying an aluminum tilt trailer so your opinion of your trailer helps me quite a bit. Do you know your trailer model number?

Neil,

My trailer is a 8214HS.  The following is a link to the trailer on the Aluma website. 

http://www.alumaklm.com/utility/single-heavy-axle/8214hs-utility-trailer

Mike Brown

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #249 on: March 07, 2017, 11:20:09 AM »
Thanks, Mike.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #250 on: March 07, 2017, 03:42:05 PM »
All of the mile/mile and a half events now require front brakes.  I did not want to bolt on some metric GM calipers and rotors that would be hanging out in the wind, the car already has poor aero and I did not want to make it worse.  I decided to fabricate some disc brakes that will fit inside the rims of the front tires.  I had already machined the vented rotors off of the hubs I am using.  I really like how the Wilwood rotors on the rear are driven by castellated dogs and held in place with a large snap ring.  I decided that I could do a similar design for the front keeping it compact.  I machined drive slots in my hubs.  There were diagonal gussets cast into the hub.  I machined the gussets down to the same depth as the slots (for 1/4" thick rotors).  They were drilled and tapped 1/4-20 for bolts to secure the rotors to the hubs.  

Mike where did you get your information from that all of the mile/ mile and a half events now require front brakes? ECTA had considered that chage for 2017 but decided to not go forward with it that was decided before not having a location to run on this year. Your saying its changed?
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #251 on: March 07, 2017, 04:18:36 PM »
All of the mile/mile and a half events now require front brakes.  I did not want to bolt on some metric GM calipers and rotors that would be hanging out in the wind, the car already has poor aero and I did not want to make it worse.  I decided to fabricate some disc brakes that will fit inside the rims of the front tires.  I had already machined the vented rotors off of the hubs I am using.  I really like how the Wilwood rotors on the rear are driven by castellated dogs and held in place with a large snap ring.  I decided that I could do a similar design for the front keeping it compact.  I machined drive slots in my hubs.  There were diagonal gussets cast into the hub.  I machined the gussets down to the same depth as the slots (for 1/4" thick rotors).  They were drilled and tapped 1/4-20 for bolts to secure the rotors to the hubs.  

Ron,

The 2016 ECTA rule book page 31 paragraph 3.W states 175 MPH and over - four-wheel brakes are required.  I was told when I went through tech in 2016 that because the rule books came out late for 2016 they were not going to enforce the rule until 2017. 

Mike Brown

Mike where did you get your information from that all of the mile/ mile and a half events now require front brakes? ECTA had considered that chage for 2017 but decided to not go forward with it that was decided before not having a location to run on this year. Your saying its changed?

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #252 on: March 07, 2017, 08:43:34 PM »
The rotor will definitely fit inside the rim of the front tire.  With the brake line connection on the back of the caliper I think a small cutout will suffice for the caliper. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #253 on: March 18, 2017, 01:50:46 PM »
I machined caliper mounts from 3/4" thick aluminum plate. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #254 on: March 18, 2017, 01:52:40 PM »
I needed a 1-1/8" thick spacer from the spindle flange to where I was going to mount my inner wheel discs.  I machined the spacer from extruded aluminum tube.  I was able to purchase 6" OD 4" ID aluminum tube online from Speedy Metals.  They sell this tube by the fraction of the inch.  I was able to get blanks cut 1-1/4" tall.  This greatly reduced the material cost and machining time for these spacers.  The material was at the house two days after the order.  A good company to deal with. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 01:57:54 PM by Mike Brown »