Author Topic: Belly Tank Build Diary  (Read 361894 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Belly Tank Build Diary
« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2016, 07:02:34 PM »
Mike,
My son and I have a Milwaukee portable ban saw and we used one of Swag Off Road's mounts to make it into a small table metal ban saw. One of the most used tools in the shop!! This is their link to the saw mounts. You might like it!
http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Portaband-Tables-Accessories_c_35.htm

Like your progress!!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2016, 08:29:52 PM »
Mike,
My son and I have a Milwaukee portable ban saw and we used one of Swag Off Road's mounts to make it into a small table metal ban saw. One of the most used tools in the shop!! This is their link to the saw mounts. You might like it!
http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Portaband-Tables-Accessories_c_35.htm

Like your progress!!!

Rex

Mike:

I second that. The Milwaukee band saw and the SWAG Off-Road table mount is one of the best tools I have. Bought it to build some headers, now  I use it every day.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2016, 12:15:52 AM »
Ditto on portable bandsaw being a most-used tool. I recently needed to make some long cuts (19") of a width (4"?) that wouldn't quite fit in the throat of the saw. I made custom mounts for the roller guides that let the blade run untwisted, instead of the usual 45 degree twist. It worked fine.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2016, 12:18:21 AM »
Which is your preferred table mount?

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #139 on: May 26, 2016, 08:39:54 PM »
The challenge is always packaging.  I thought that I could easily put a tach and a small switch panel in the space between the steering wheel and front tube.  Well the tach fits, now to find a new location for the switch panel. 

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #140 on: May 26, 2016, 09:19:49 PM »
When I built my lakester I installed the yellow shift light however I never actually looked for the light during any of my runs. There's so much time during a run you will find its easy to watch the tach and where your going on the track. A time example for my car which runs just short of 180 in the mile its 30 seconds of seat time from when you leave the line on a run. 
   When I decided to eliminate the shift light that gave me more room for gauges and switches. My car is very similar to yours its very narrow in the dash/gauge area. My dash has the tach in the center along with three gauges spaced left and right of the tach. Also on the dash I have four switches including a starter push button and one LED indicator. There's a lot of stuff on a small panel creatively shaped to conform around the single tach and still allow plenty of room for the drivers legs to not come in contact with the dash. One area of the build I truly enjoy is the creative use of compact packaging.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #141 on: May 26, 2016, 10:24:03 PM »
Mike;

Could you mount your shift light vertically behind the panel? This would reflect on the windshield like a head-up display (HUD).

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #142 on: May 26, 2016, 10:56:40 PM »
Hi Mike:

My dash and especially the two fire bottles are located in roughly the same space on the chassis. One of the problems we have is how little space there is for a pull or push cable for fire bottles. What are you going to use for cables?

John

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #143 on: May 27, 2016, 07:23:14 AM »
My fire suppression system is activated with a push knob that attaches directly to the fire bottles. 

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #144 on: May 27, 2016, 07:45:59 AM »
My fire suppression system is activated with a push knob that attaches directly to the fire bottles. 

Did you have a custom cable length made?

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #145 on: May 27, 2016, 07:54:24 PM »
John,

I attached a photo of the fire suppression system activators.  They are push style and mount directly to the fire bottles, no cables are needed.  I did have custom Control Craft cables made for my shifter.  They are large 5/16" versions and came out perfect. 

Mike

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #146 on: May 27, 2016, 07:59:44 PM »
When I built my lakester I installed the yellow shift light however I never actually looked for the light during any of my runs. There's so much time during a run you will find its easy to watch the tach and where your going on the track. A time example for my car which runs just short of 180 in the mile its 30 seconds of seat time from when you leave the line on a run. 
   When I decided to eliminate the shift light that gave me more room for gauges and switches. My car is very similar to yours its very narrow in the dash/gauge area. My dash has the tach in the center along with three gauges spaced left and right of the tach. Also on the dash I have four switches including a starter push button and one LED indicator. There's a lot of stuff on a small panel creatively shaped to conform around the single tach and still allow plenty of room for the drivers legs to not come in contact with the dash. One area of the build I truly enjoy is the creative use of compact packaging.

Ron,

I have seen your lakester and it is a marvel of compactness.  Your tank is much smaller in diameter than mine.  I think that the shift light has to go to make room for a few switches.  I need a fuel pump, ignition and water pump switches along with a starter button.  I have some very bright LEDs that are clear when off.  I can find place for a LED shift light.  I hope that the phrase "imitation is the most sincere form of flattery" works for you.  I am going to paint my tank silver after seeing yours. 

Mike

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #147 on: May 28, 2016, 01:54:54 PM »
HI Mike
  Part of the silver on my front half tank body is the original aluminum I just use a scotch bright pad to keep it silvery then once I painted painting the lower half black that helped to hide all the years of abuse the old tank went threw plus out on the salt it will be visible much better.
  Mike another thing to think about the way you would trigger your fire bottles. Being located under and behind the dash area might be a problem for two reasons.  One if you happen to hit a bottle knob with your leg or knee getting in or out of the car that will quickly ruin your day. Second once your all belted in fire suit and helmet plus Hans device all on the amount of extension you will have on your arms and head movement may not allow you visibility and access to those bottle knobs.   
     In my car I decided to place control for the fire bottles on the right side of the frame the same general location as the chute release this location protects against a mistaken fire bottle actuation and its not a stretch of my body to get to these important controls. trigger of the bottles plus its in a location easy to get at without having to look down below the dash area.
     Were planing on being in Wilmington next month if your in the area stop by your more than welcome to sit in the car to see what I mean about the control access. We could even strap you in helmet and Hans on to see what little movement there is.
 Ron
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #148 on: June 04, 2016, 06:51:07 PM »
I decided to machine a block to hold the fire suppression nozzles angled away from the fire wall and angled apart to get better coverage.  When I need to do multiple operations on the mill and repeat angles I layout the angle on a piece of scrap material, drill holes and add roll pins.  This holds the part consistently at the same angle each time that you put it in the vise. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #149 on: June 04, 2016, 06:52:28 PM »
This is a photo of the machined part setting against the roll pins to hold the angle.