Author Topic: Belly Tank Build Diary  (Read 361827 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Belly Tank Build Diary
« Reply #120 on: May 03, 2016, 10:06:37 PM »
Those fittings are good to know about- thanks, Mike.  :cheers:

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2016, 01:02:37 PM »
Mike,
Your fuel pump/filter/regulator system is very nice and compact. Is the tank return line the connection on the bottom? I looked on the Aeromotive site and they did not give a schematic of the connections. I assume that the two side connections that appear to be in line (front and back in your picture) are the regulated pressure connections that go to the injection system. Nice parts and I like the double O ring fitting, I have logged it into my memory for when I re-plumb my roadster injection.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2016, 10:48:15 AM »
Mike,
Your fuel pump/filter/regulator system is very nice and compact. Is the tank return line the connection on the bottom? I looked on the Aeromotive site and they did not give a schematic of the connections. I assume that the two side connections that appear to be in line (front and back in your picture) are the regulated pressure connections that go to the injection system. Nice parts and I like the double O ring fitting, I have logged it into my memory for when I re-plumb my roadster injection.

Rex

Rex,

The return line connection is on the bottom of the regulator as shown in the photo.  In the car the connection will point up with a short AN-10 line connecting back to the fuel tank.  The two connections on the side are actually intended to be returns from each fuel rail on a V8 application.  I attached an illustration of the connections from Aeromotive (I searched their site and found the instructions).  I spoke with their tech department and it is OK to use one port as fuel in and the other for fuel out to the fuel rail as my crate engine requires.  I wanted to have enough capacity that If I need 1,000hp some day I don't have to swap out a bunch of parts. 

Mike Brown

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2016, 10:52:59 AM »
With regards to the fuel system what is the opinion on foam in the fuel tank?  My tank came with foam, I had to remove it to install larger bulkhead fittings for the fuel pump inlet and bypass lines.  I am concerned about getting air in the fuel from the return line.  I could add a "dip tube" so that the return line is below the expected fuel level or just reinstall the foam. 

The tank also has an AN-8 vent line with a ball type roll over valve.  Where is the preferred spot in the car to route the vent line? 

Thanks,

Mike Brown

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #124 on: May 06, 2016, 08:30:56 PM »
After some research I decided to not use foam.  Jaz the manufacture of the fuel tank (and foam) specifically state on their website that the foam cannot be used with water for intercoolers or with fuel that contains alcohol.  I expect to run E85 in the future so the foam is out.  Junior Thompson (of 60's gasser fame) told me not to run foam in a mechanically injected Hemi street project many years ago.  So I fabricated a "dip tube" using an aluminum coupler machined with 7/8-14 threads that will screw on to the fuel return bulkhead fitting inside the tank and connect a short section of 1/2" aluminum rigid conduit.  The fuel returned from the regulator will enter the tank below the fuel level and I hope reduce or eliminate aeration of the fuel. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2016, 07:20:33 PM »
I fabricated a mount for the fuel tank.  The tank, shutoff, filter, pump, regulator and lines have been installed.  The next goal is a battery box, some wiring and then on to starting the engine. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #126 on: May 19, 2016, 06:42:01 PM »
The fire bottle mount is mocked up.  I have been making angles fabricated from 1/4" steel that bolt to the frame.  A section of 1-5/8" tube is welded between the angles spanning the car.  The fire bottle mounts are attached to 1/4" x 4" steel plates welded to the tube. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #127 on: May 19, 2016, 06:45:42 PM »
The battery, fuel system and intercooler system were made into a module that bolts to the frame.  The module is easily removed for access to the engine and transmission. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #128 on: May 19, 2016, 06:46:26 PM »
A side view of the chassis. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #129 on: May 19, 2016, 06:47:13 PM »
A top view from the back. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #130 on: May 19, 2016, 06:47:51 PM »
A top view from the front. 

Offline tauruck

« Reply #131 on: May 19, 2016, 10:06:55 PM »
That looks great Mike. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #132 on: May 22, 2016, 06:48:29 PM »
I cut most of the steel for the car using a portable band saw.  It is one of my favorite tools. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #133 on: May 22, 2016, 06:50:46 PM »
Sometimes there is a need to cut small pieces or parts that are not easily held in a vise.  I clamp a piece of aluminum plate in the vise then secure the part to be cut using a small "C" clamp.  This works really well. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #134 on: May 22, 2016, 06:51:58 PM »
The completed fire bottle mount.  I added gussets under each plate.