Author Topic: Belly Tank Build Diary  (Read 361887 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Belly Tank Build Diary
« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2015, 03:23:00 AM »
Great build quality. :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2016, 04:43:08 PM »
I included an expansion tank on the engine coolant tank.  I fabricated it with flanges so it could be easily removed.  The LSA engine has steam vents coming from the heads that will attach to the expansion tank.  Since the tank is "U" shaped I included a steam line from the opposite side of the tank.  I did add provisions for a radiator cap.  I will use a 6psi cap.  I pressure tested the tank with air at 20psi.  The flat section under the oil pan bowed out so I added a piece of aluminum bar through the center of the plate to the curved exterior. 

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2016, 05:49:13 PM »
Nice work, Mike.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline tauruck

« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2016, 07:16:38 PM »
I agree and Neil how clean is that shop?. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2016, 08:32:03 PM »
It's a lot cleaner than mine, Mike!

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2016, 08:26:53 PM »
I have started the parachute system.  The chute is a Bonneville style from Stroud.  My chute tube is 6" OD 1/8" wall 6061 aluminum.  Is the preference to run the chute lanyard through the tube or outside the tube?

Thanks,

Mike

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2016, 09:11:15 PM »
It is done both ways... more important, mount position, too high above CG will unload front, too low will unload back.... Tether length.... position... chute size... speed it will be popped are all questions that should be answered....
Best idea... talk it over with the chute guy to get the chute and mount point tailored for the car, then decide where you will mount the can.... that will tell you if you need to go through or under for the mount.
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline awelker

• www.vonwelker.com
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2016, 10:29:29 PM »
From what I was told when discussing my chute with the manufacturer was that the chute line should pull through the center of gravity of the car.  As Stainless said, too high it will lift the nose, too low it will lift the tail.

I pull through the tube and it is mounted very close to axle height. Don't remember tether length off the top of my head but these pics give a general idea of how at least my chute style trails at speed.  My chute has deployed well and pulled nice at Bonneville, Loring, and Ohio.

Just from a quick look at the height of your chute tube seems like pulling through the tube would be a little high.  But that is just my opinion.

-Andy

IMG_2613 by Andrew Welker, on Flickr

IMG_2615 by Andrew Welker, on Flickr

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2016, 03:47:20 PM »
I machined a 1/4" compression fitting with 1/4" hose on the opposite end.  This makes for a very compact and secure connection of braided stainless (Spectre fractional size hose) to the tubing. 

I saw Andy's car at the Ohio Mile.  It is an engineering marvel and very well executed.  After seeing Andy's photos and making some coarse calculations I estimate that my CG is nearly in line with the perimeter frame.  I have ordered a section of 6" schedule 40 steel pipe for a new chute tube.  I will cut the back of the frame so the tube can be welded in place making it a structural piece of the perimeter frame. 

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2016, 06:45:57 PM »
Nice work, Mike.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2016, 08:58:37 PM »
 On my lakester using a tube for the chute deployment I connected the chute to the chassis so its positioned at the cam shaft centerline. Joe Timney Delaware Chassis works guided me on the proper location for attachment. After five seasons of deployment at speeds now over 180 MPH the chute deployment has never upset the car.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Online Elmo Rodge

« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2016, 09:58:53 PM »
Mike, I found my center of mass and mounted my chute accordingly. So far I am pleased.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2016, 02:23:36 PM »
I will borrow some scales and find the center of gravity (mass) so that I can mount the chute tube at the correct height and keep the chute lanyard inside the tube.  Thanks for the recommendations.  I included a photo of the workshop inside the garage for Neil and Tauruck.  The workshop is heated and cooled which extends my working season in Ohio.  The small milling machine has both manual and full CNC operation.  The lathe is one of my all time favorite machine tools, a Haas tool room lathe.  The lathe has full manual and full CNC automatic operation with tabs that can be quickly filled in for various operations such as single point threading.  I am thankful to a well equipped shop. 

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2016, 03:04:43 PM »
Nice workspace and great machine tools, Mike!  :cheers:

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2016, 03:06:21 PM »