Author Topic: Belly Tank Build Diary  (Read 363210 times)

Offline Mike Brown

Re: Belly Tank Build Diary
« Reply #480 on: September 12, 2020, 07:41:11 PM »
We went to the fall event at Loring.  The weather was great, low temperatures and low humidity.  The car was making good power.  We managed to take the mile record back from Das Bullet at 208.913.  I didn't get the 1-1/2 mile record back but had a good run at 221.440.  There was a quartering cross wind that made driving challenging. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #481 on: September 12, 2020, 07:43:15 PM »
Setting a record over 200 MPH got me into the LTA 200 Club. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #482 on: September 12, 2020, 07:46:06 PM »
We continue to chase the lakester with the RV.  Somewhat unorthodox but my wife and I make it work.  We doubled up the tow strap and communicate with cell phones going to the starting line and back to the pits. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #483 on: September 12, 2020, 07:51:16 PM »
I didn't evaluate with and without the fairing behind the cage.  There is so much less buffeting in the cockpit with it installed that didn't want to try it without it.  The plans are to continue to fair in the rest of the cockpit this winter.  I will not enclose the front until I evaluate how the cockpit fairing performs. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #484 on: September 12, 2020, 07:56:59 PM »
I did get an in car video, it can be seen here, https://www.facebook.com/michael.e.brown.754/videos/10214875692564748/.  The bump at the transition from concrete to asphalt is still there at the 3/4 mile mark.  On the first run I was not able to hold the "smooth" line over the bump.  It is a big bump registering 1.1g on my data logger.  I believe that it hurt the right front tire.  On the return road after the third pass I noticed that the tire is no longer round.  I will be replacing the front tires and possible the back also for next year. 

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #485 on: September 13, 2020, 12:02:20 PM »
Good ol' Facebook will not let me see your video.

A tow bar is so much easier ? and a lot safer.  Once you try it, you'll never go back.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #486 on: September 13, 2020, 05:33:07 PM »
I loaded the video to Youtube.  You should be able to find it using the title, "In car video, 200+ mph run at the Fall LTA Event". 

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #487 on: September 13, 2020, 06:09:03 PM »
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #488 on: September 14, 2020, 09:47:49 AM »
A very interesting video. I had no idea the the runway had so many cracks.

Your tank accelerates very hard 8-) I'm impressed :clap
Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #489 on: September 29, 2020, 07:59:01 PM »
A photo of the front tire that is no longer round.  The M&H DOT drag radial tires that I was running are not suitable for 200+ mph runs at mile events.  I noticed this problem while my wife was towing me back to the pits.  No more runs after seeing this.  My plans are to run the Texas Mile in the Spring.  They only allow "Y" rated DOT tires and road race tires.  The skinniest "Y" rated tire that I can get that is tall enough (29") for my car is 205mm wide compared to the 185mm tires that I am currently running.  Unfortunately these tires also require 17" rims.  I found 17" steel rims with a 5 on 5-1/2" bolt pattern however they have deep back spacing and the spindle hole is slightly too small.  I will need to bore the spindle hole, build a new inner wheel fairing, buy new Moon disks and weld Dzus fasteners on the rims.  The scrub radius will be improved with the deeper back spacing but my steering arms will also need to be modified.  A lot of work to be able to run in Texas and suffer an aero penalty with wider tires. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #490 on: September 29, 2020, 08:10:09 PM »
A photo of the M&H DOT drag radial rear tires after seven 200+ mph runs.  There are scallops on both sides of both rear tires.  I will not run these tires again including 1/4 mile test & tune sessions.  I have chose a new Hoosier circuit racing radial for the rear.  I will pick up an additional 1/2" of rear tire width on a slick.  I hope that the traction is the same or better than the drag radials as I currently have to pedal the car in first and second gear.  Kevin Mixon the Texas Mile tech director gave me approval for these tires in an E-Mail.  No modifications to run these tires thank goodness. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #491 on: October 02, 2020, 07:47:07 AM »
A photo of the car at over 200mph.  Notice the sidewall deflection of the front tire.  I have 17IN steel rims with the correct mounting pattern.  The backset needs to be modified and I am working on that. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #492 on: October 02, 2020, 10:42:47 AM »
Many years ago I saw this problem on a bike.  It was due to the spring harmonic frequency being the same or an even multiple of the tire rotating frequency.  The problem was solved by changing the spring rate and making sure the shocks did a good job of damping.

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #493 on: November 09, 2020, 02:49:17 PM »
I was able to purchase 17" steel rims with the five on 4-1/2" bolt pattern however the backspacing was 5-3/4" for a modern type car.  James at Weldcraft Wheels was able to cut the original welds out on a lathe, flip the center and weld in place for the 3-1/4" backspace that I needed for my car.  They completed the work in two weeks at a reasonable cost.  The work was very good.  They widen, narrow, rework and repair wheels of all kinds.  A very good company to work with. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #494 on: November 09, 2020, 02:54:03 PM »
They fully welded the center in place and enlarged the pilot diameter for the hub.  I added the Dzus tabs for the MOON discs.  All that is needed now is 5/8" holes for the metal valve stems and a pair of 205/55ZR17 tires with a "Y" rating.  The tires will be almost an inch wider than the M&H front runners but this was the narrowest tire that I could find that is almost 26" tall for my car.  Tech at the Texas Mile requires "Y" rated DOT tires to compete.