Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1452778 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #3810 on: March 05, 2024, 12:33:00 PM »
Realistically Mike, neither of our liners should exist. The general consensus for quite some time has been that building a competitive streamliner had gone way beyond the Joe Average & his backyard shed. Growing up on the wrong side of the track so to speak molded me into a "build something from nothing" kind of person just like yourself but the big difference is I have a lot of years experience in streamliners & salt racing but you have never even been near another liner so to me your accomplishments are so much greater & I salute you. Battle on :-D Mate!
My battle is now affording to run my impossible dream to it's maximum potential without selling the shirt off my back or my spare kidney.
  Kiwi battler out! :-)

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3811 on: March 05, 2024, 06:09:00 PM »
I get you. You were with Al and you're based in the right country. All the experience.
Something about Kiwis and South Africans. Good battlers. It shows in the rugby.

I'm a determined guy. More than most. I'm that black sheep you don't want around at Christmas.
I tell it like it is. I don't do family. A real "racer" might cosy up to them because they have unlimited funds
but I'm not entourage material. I came in alone and I'll go out alone with my boots on and no silver spoon borrowed from anyone.

I got lucky on God given talent. Most of this stuff comes naturally so all I need are the sponsors, hard graft and a bit of luck.
Time is short and it's go time brother. 🤛🏻

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3812 on: March 06, 2024, 09:01:27 AM »
I got the cold side turbo flanges pressed on and we'll weld on Friday.
I'm not into these V band clamps.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3813 on: March 06, 2024, 05:04:10 PM »
This post is for my bud Sid.

These boys in South Africa have some nerve.
A guy I have known since I was 14 who is involved in the most high end race shop in the country contacts me about getting work done on the only BMW M3 from the late 70s.
The car is owned by a billionaire real estate agent who is ailing right now but has an offer from BMW HQ in Germany who want it for the museum.

All the way there and back the guy is buttering me up. Lets cut to the chase.
He says he knows I need the work and if I do the job before Christmas it will open doors for me.
He offers me R100/hour which is about $5.

My answer was "hey Ted!!!!!!, I'll do it for 50 grand and you'll pay up front. Plumbers charge a standard rate of R800/hour but the going price is R1,200. I'm not a plumber and the last job that was supposed to open doors for me has been taking up space in my shop for 5 years. For that one you better bring 5 grand for storage or we'll cut it up and put it on the kerb for Friday morning garbage".

Total gentleman I am. Clever too. I waited to break the good news to him about half a mile from my home. Now he's dealing with the old girl but she's the real deal. She won't give an inch.
I can go long periods without eating and I'll hunt birds to feed my dogs before I get used by these operators.

This is the stuff I deal with while trying to build a liner.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3814 on: March 07, 2024, 12:03:25 PM »
$5 per hour is an insult to somebody of your talent Mike. Golden rule "If I want to work for nothing I'll work on my own $hit!"aktion086
I get that kind of promise from trucking companies saying "we can get you lots of work! We have X amount of trucks coming through there & we've been doing it for X amount of years". My response is, I've been here for 25 years & this is the first job I've done for you guys so I'll give you a big fat break on the next one! :-D
  Sid.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3815 on: March 07, 2024, 01:40:33 PM »
Sid, the boys from the old hood know me.
You can't bring the street into business so I humour these operators.
Give them enough rope and they eventually hang themselves.

That 530 BMW was butchered. I could have fabbed the wrecked part in steel no problem
but the guy knew what the real fabricators would have charged so he "assumed" the poor guy was an easy target.

I laugh because they brought me another Beemer a few years back and tried to tell me how to do my job so I said if that's the case do it yourself.
The guy was micro managing like a school teacher so I never let him through the gate.
After the job was done I didn't get any feedback so I asked. It went 2sec quicker and they broke the class lap record.
I have a connection in Europe that was a designer on Schumacher's F1 car at Ferrari so I asked him what 2 sec was worth in F1?. $400 million.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
The joke is I never even put all the good stuff on. Wait until uncle Ted comes back. He's buying me a Liberty gearbox like George has.😁😁😁

The life and times of Mikey. Hilarious.

I love that you give them a break on the next one. Way to go brother.