Author Topic: Roll cages and "side upholstery" i.e. door panels  (Read 3689 times)

deadbolt

Roll cages and "side upholstery" i.e. door panels
« on: August 23, 2006, 09:56:58 PM »
I was looking over the rules for the production classes and it says that side upholstery must be retained, however, when we were mocking up for the cage the side intrusion bars need to be in an area where it is going to necessitate removal or trimming/cutting of the door panels.  This is to provide enough room between the driver and the cage components.  Is there any allowance for modification or removal of those panels where interference with the roll cage exists?

deadbolt

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 01:29:02 PM »
Lots of views but no replies.

Anybody got any ideas about this?  Or where I could go to find more info that what is listed in the book?

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 02:36:20 PM »
Quote from: deadbolt

Anybody got any ideas about this?  Or where I could go to find more info that what is listed in the book?

Look in the rule book and get ahold of the chair for your class.  Remember we all have views, but that doesn't mean they are right when you get to tech :wink: .

c ya, Sum

terry russell

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 02:46:24 PM »
I have no clue about the SCTA ,but the ECTA would perfure you had guted any thing that could burn.

deadbolt

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 08:30:46 PM »
Quote from: Sumner
Quote from: deadbolt

Look in the rule book and get ahold of the chair for your class.  Remember we all have views, but that doesn't mean they are right when you get to tech :wink: .

c ya, Sum

I didn't even think to look to see if there was contact info in there.  Duh for me. :lol:

Thanks for the pointer!!!  :D

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 02:50:42 PM »
The "Book" also says you can replace it with an aluminum equavilent. With that being said, I believe if you just did  cutouts where there is interference the rules guys would be satisfied. The spirit of the rule is to keep the weight on, instead if a bunch of gutted and lightened "production" shells

IMHO
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
SPIRIT ?
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 04:26:24 AM »
Quote from: mike meierle
The "Book" also says you can replace it with an aluminum equavilent. With that being said, I believe if you just did  cutouts where there is interference the rules guys would be satisfied. The spirit of the rule is to keep the weight on, instead if a bunch of gutted and lightened "production" shells

IMHO

The spirit of the rule is to keep it as safe as possible.
 Just a gutted door offers a lot of sharp edges so a metal panel is often used.
Weight savings from the removal of the door panels has very little to do with performance
 when many add weight in the manor prescribed anyway.
The same goes for headliners.
The closer you can fit the roll cage assembly to the skin, the better protection it will offer.
Now read up on the rules and you can get blessed by tech with a question to them in the proper format.
Understanding the spirit of the rule really helps to understand the written word.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

deadbolt

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 08:39:37 PM »
Thanks guys!  I did the smart thing and looked in the book.  The person in charge of my class was very helpful and friendly and I got the answers I needed to build my car safely and within the rules. :)