Author Topic: C/PRO Fuel system question  (Read 4852 times)

Offline QikNip

C/PRO Fuel system question
« on: April 05, 2015, 09:38:39 AM »
I posted this topic in General Chat before I realized that it should have been here.  :oops: While it was in GC, I recieved a very doable suggestion on the second question that I use a 1/4" steel plate shield bolted over the fuel line in the clutch area (in leiu of the "heavy steel tubing" referenced in 3.1). My question is whether I need to submit that option to Steve Davies for approval before I fabricate the shield.
Rick

As the build of my Porsche 924 G Classic Production build moves closer to the end, I have a few questions with respect to the rule book that I need help intrepreting. Hopefully the folks here can clarify them for me. huh

Rule 3.1.1  appears to require that cars, with other than a fully stock fuel system, have a mechanical ball type fuel shut off valve, as well as an electrical switch to dissable the electric fuel pump ... and that both be within the driver's reach. Is that correct?  And if so, how do folks install a mechanical ball valve that can be actuated by the driver and avoid running afoul of 3.1 which states that no part of the fuel system can be in the driver's compartment?

Rule 3.1 states that all fuel lines in the area of the clutch and flywheel must be run through heavy steel tubing, or be routed outside the frame rail. In my case there is no frame rail to hide behind and the existing 3/8" steel line has three pretty significant bends in the plane of the flywheel/clutch, making the  sliding a steel tube over it virtually impossible. Has anyone used a braided steel hose slipped over the fuel line to satisfy this requirement? (I have to think I'm not the first builder with this issue)

I've retained the inertial switch from the stock wiring and have the cut off switch installed, but these two issues have me stopped for the moment.
Rick
138.0 G/CPRO 4/18 Arkansas Mile Challenge Record
145.632 G/CPRO 8/17 Bonneville Record
149.825 G/CPRO 8/18 Bonneville Record
142.443 G/CPRO 9/20 Loring 1.0 Mile Record
156.343 G/CPRO 9/20 Loring 1.5 Mile Record

Offline jacksoni

Re: C/PRO Fuel system question
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 09:55:14 AM »
It is best to get some sort of ruling from the "horses mouth" ( Kiwi Steve or Lee Kennedy) I think the heavy plate as suggested will be ok. Fuel pump shut off rules, as I understand having been here long enough to experience both forms, comes from  the past where generally fuel pumps were mechanical and they wanted some way for the fuel supply to be cut off incase the engine was running and fuel system was not intact or otherwise leaking- ie you were upside down. Electric fuel pumps became more popular and a twist key ignition switch as with stock systems was deemed a bit awkward and so they wanted something easier to shut stuff off- a simple toggle switch to cut the pump within easy drivers reach. Then again, upside down and maybe you not totally with it, the electric pump issue arose again and the inertial switch shut off was mandated. Point being, someway to stop the fuel flow in case of emergency. It was my understanding- see horses mouth above- that both mechanical and electric shut offs  were not required but only the one appropriate for the system, they just wanted it shut off. It is possible I misunderstood but I think this is correct. At no point in inspection of my cars recently ( have had a total of 4, all with EFI and electric pumps) have both electric and mechanical shut offs been required.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 11:10:04 AM »
Rick,

While common sense here should apply, sometimes things are overlooked by focusing on too minute detail.

Since you are a fair ways from Kennedy and Davies, your comfort level should be un-easy.

You can contact them, in the rulebook listings, send pictures, diagrams and such.
When you have a "go nod", print and or bring documentation in the LOG book for the car.

The inspectors will question something out of the ordinary, having an endorsement eases the situation.
If something is found questionable, Steve and Lee are around at the events to approve or dis-approve.
Believe it or not, they are there to make sure you can run safely, not just to send you home.

Remember this, the rulebook (safety portion) is a MINIMUM guide line for construction of YOUR vehicle.
The Inspectors are just looking for this, Record Certification is looking for compliance within the Class/Type vehicle.

John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline QikNip

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 08:39:39 AM »
Thanks guys. I'll call Lee Kennedy later today to review the shield solution.
Rick

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 03:38:06 PM »
Qiky, you've committed the ultimate forum sin and have double posted the same thread in two different places.  You shall be tied over a barrel and caned.  Or we'll treat you like this horse here:  :dhorse:
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline QikNip

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 05:26:04 PM »
Ahh, but Nathan, do I get easy treatment for openly acknowledging that gervious sin in my post here? :roll:
Rick

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 05:50:05 PM »
No, Rick -- you get punished more for misspelling grievous.   :evil: :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 09:25:40 PM »
I think "gervious" is relating to a threatening dog -- watch out!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline QikNip

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 10:00:25 AM »
 :oops: Where's spell check when you need it!