Author Topic: Some SCTA fuel system rules questions  (Read 3365 times)

Offline QikNip

Some SCTA fuel system rules questions
« on: April 04, 2015, 09:30:39 AM »
As the build of my Porsche 924 G Classic Production build moves closer to the end, I have a few questions with respect to the rule book that I need help intrepreting. Hopefully the folks here can clarify them for me. :?

Rule 3.1.1  appears to require that cars, with other than a fully stock fuel system, have a mechanical ball type fuel shut off valve, as well as an electrical switch to dissable the electric fuel pump ... and that both be within the driver's reach. Is that correct?  And if so, how do folks install a mechanical ball valve that can be actuated by the driver and avoid running afoul of 3.1 which states that no part of the fuel system can be in the driver's compartment?

Rule 3.1 states that all fuel lines in the area of the clutch and flywheel must be run through heavy steel tubing, or be routed outside the frame rail. In my case there is no frame rail to hide behind and the existing 3/8" steel line has three pretty significant bends in the plane of the flywheel/clutch, making the  sliding a steel tube over it virtually impossible. Has anyone used a braided steel hose slipped over the fuel line to satisfy this requirement? (I have to think I'm not the first builder with this issue)

I've retained the inertial switch from the stock wiring and have the cut off switch installed, but these two issues have me stopped for the moment.
Rick
138.0 G/CPRO 4/18 Arkansas Mile Challenge Record
145.632 G/CPRO 8/17 Bonneville Record
149.825 G/CPRO 8/18 Bonneville Record
142.443 G/CPRO 9/20 Loring 1.0 Mile Record
156.343 G/CPRO 9/20 Loring 1.5 Mile Record

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Some SCTA fuel system rules questions
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 10:25:24 AM »
The way we satisfied the requirement on the streamliner was to put a bolt in 1/8 inch steel plate between the SFI Bellhousing and the fuel lines.

Any mechanical fuel shutoff can be placed outside the drivers area and actuated with a cable. 

I did not read the sections in question but I think if your electric pump shuts off the fuel you should only need the inertia switch if it is gas class.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 04:55:14 PM »
Stainless pretty much has it.
Build a well mounted shield around your fuel lines near the plane of the clutch/flywheel.
If you need a mechanical fuel shutoff in your configuration it can be operated by a lever or cable within the drivers reach.
If you are using a factory type electric fuel system you must have some type of automatic shutoff switch like inertial along with a shutoff switch for the driver.   

Good Luck with your project.  :-)
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline QikNip

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 07:39:12 PM »
Thank Guys.
The  fabrication of a flat 1/4" thick steel plate shield is doable. Do I need to get Steve Davies approval to deviate from the letter of the 3.1 rule (it specifically states using a "heavy steel tube"), or is this the way it's done by everyone?
Rick
138.0 G/CPRO 4/18 Arkansas Mile Challenge Record
145.632 G/CPRO 8/17 Bonneville Record
149.825 G/CPRO 8/18 Bonneville Record
142.443 G/CPRO 9/20 Loring 1.0 Mile Record
156.343 G/CPRO 9/20 Loring 1.5 Mile Record