Author Topic: Tires (probably for the fifty thousandth time......)  (Read 7837 times)

Offline Schmergen

• New folks
Tires (probably for the fifty thousandth time......)
« on: March 31, 2015, 04:35:46 AM »
I'm sure you're all sick of people asking the question (and yes - I have tried the search function) :dhorse:

I've had some conflicting advice on the subject of tyres (tires for y'all in the States)

I'm gonna be running in a class with a 200mph plus record (on a modified ZX12R). According to tech inspectors Z rated road rubber is out of the question. However, I spoke to a competitor recently (who is SCTA'd to 250) and he is using part worn race/road legal tyres that are still Z rated.

What I'm really after is someone just to let me know a make and model I can go for............

I'll set the ball rolling:

How about part worn Pirelli Diablo Corsa SC2's?

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: Tires (probably for the fifty thousandth time......)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 09:37:02 AM »
Who said Z rated tires are out of the question? They have been used by riders throughout the history of BMST. I think the most used tire is the Bridgestone Bt003 which is a ZR rated tire. That is the one I have used for years.
BTW, the rulebook does not specify the type of tire. Instead it is up to you to decide which one is best for your class.

Road racing tires are not good unless they have a "Hard" compound. Most drag and road racers use a soft compound because it is on asphalt. You will just shred your tire on the salt if it is a soft compound. I know that from experience.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 11:24:30 AM »
SCTA has different rules regarding tires for 200+ mph bikes than AMA does.  If racing at BMST a ZR rated tire is legal as long as it is on good shape.

Offline Schmergen

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 06:34:21 AM »
Interesting - The BT003 keeps coming up

Anyone using anything else?

Offline Frenchinjection

• APS-BPS 750 Triumph Twin 775 . 152.35 record
    • Saltbike 775
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 08:46:24 AM »
Battlax R10  they are marked racing and dot stamped and can be got cheap from ebay for a scrubbed set.  OK for Speedweek

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 11:07:15 PM »
Been using the BT 03 s fopr a couple years now as we run SCTA also and had good luck with them.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!