Author Topic: Our new Lakester build. Lansing Michigan  (Read 26405 times)

Offline TugBoat123

Our new Lakester build. Lansing Michigan
« on: March 28, 2015, 09:10:33 PM »
Well folks... This is going to be a blog/build diary of my families attempt at building a salt-worthy lakester. Please follow along. I welcome all the friendly constructive criticism, helpful hints, and encouraging words of wisdom similar to what I've seen as I've looked through other build diaries on this website. We (my mother, father, brother, sister, friends, and I) have no intention of breaking records. We are just excited to go fast and have a good time.

Offline Stan Back

Re: Our new Lakester build. Lansing Michigan
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 09:36:30 PM »
You're in the right place -- there seems to be more lakester people here than any other category -- go for it!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline TugBoat123

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 09:43:03 PM »
First, I'd like to mention that we started attending speed week over 10 years ago. We brought a car out there in 2012. We made rookie mistakes. We didn't do everything we should have to make sure our car was "legit". We were disqualified in tech because our roll cage was 1\8" too small in diameter. We went home with our tail between our legs. It was a heartbreak. This is not a new story at Bonneville. It won't be the last time it happens. It happens every year. So anyways... I digress.
    My father (the captain/crew leader of our group) wasn't discouraged. We have a good engine. Good trans. And plenty of other things we need to complete a car. So, he got a good company in Ohio to build us a new chassis. This blog will start with me posting descriptions and pictures of where we are at right now, and I will probably post pictures from the past as I reminisce (or lament) over previous experiences. I'm sure I'll be asking plenty of questions along the way. Thanks in advance! Hope to see you on the salt this August.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 10:21:48 PM »
What engine class are you running? It helps in the overall thought process.  :-D wayno

Offline TugBoat123

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 10:42:21 PM »
D/GL is the class we will be running. We have a small block Chevy. Naturally aspirated. Connected to a 2-speed Powerglide trans

Offline TugBoat123

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 12:16:13 AM »
Struggling to add pictures. First my pictures were too big, so I tried to resize them. Now i don't have any option at all to attach pictures. It'll allow me to take new pictures using the camera on my tablet. It won't let me choose from my photo library at all. I'm confused. I can't figure out where that option went. I'm going to have to dig around and see if I can find some info on here on the forums. I would really like to share some photos of the new chassis and the drive train. I will also share some photos of other things we are working on (such as rebuilding the back door/gate/ramp on our trailer).

Offline Emil Shuffhausen

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 12:56:21 AM »
An online photo storage account will be a big help. I like Fotki.com. I've been with them for about 14 years and have no complaints.
I'm not really Michael Caine's character from "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels".

Lee Owens

Offline TugBoat123

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 01:01:12 AM »
Went to Ohio today to check out the progress on the chassis

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 01:34:55 PM »
 I hope you and your chassis builder have rulebooks for constant reference. Hope to see you at Willmington when you give the car a shakedown.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 04:13:18 PM »
P.M. sent.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 08:24:13 PM »
3.T  :?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 09:01:46 PM »
My guess would be your chassis builder builds 1/4 mile stuff due to the large scrub radius & lotsa front end stuff out in the breeze.
You might want to reconsider the Glide & go to an overdrive trans with a lock up converter if it's not too late in the build.
  Sid.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 09:43:20 PM »
3.T  :?
Sparky is referring to rule book section 3.T. It says you cant use that type of front axle. You need to talk to Lee Kennedy, his contact info is on the SCTA/BNI web site.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 11:58:23 PM »
It's unfortunate but jdincau is correct. Even tho you mount it rigid the front needs to have an axle. I believe the rule was rewritten about 15/20 years ago due to failures of "dragster" type front ends. You may get a variance but I'm sure it will need engineering tests. Yours appears very stout but it will need authorization. Good luck and Lee Kennedy notification is a must...
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 01:04:15 AM »
"This is going to be a blog/build diary of my families attempt at building a salt-worthy lakester."

What does this mean to you? How about your dad,  especially your dad; if he is the ONE calling the shots! 

"SALT worthy LAKESTER"    To me that means understanding the problem before acting.

Sorry for being so brutal but this is the TYPE  of research you guys need to be doing.

I spent 4 hours in my shop yesterday with a guy who is thinking of coming to B' Ville for the first time. One of his friends had me call him and invite him over---Why?? --because this friend knew I would not sugar coat anything--and that I had made so many mistakes It bothers me to see others make so many ROOKIE MISTAKES and have to go home with out getting to run.

-we discussed all the various classes and I tried to apprise him of what he was up against, the pros and cons and some common mistakes I had seen in each over the last 15 years.

Then he started at the front of my lakester and asked what the issues were at the front axel, the drivers compartment , the tank bay, the eng. bay the rear axle, the chutes  I think he most likely today has a list of things he thinks he needs to know more about to continue his SALT education before he buys or builds.

GET A RULE BOOK READ IT 10 times---DISCUSS IT  , read the builds of various lakesters and LINERS send private messages or call nearly any of US--- we care we hate to see folks make mistakes especially ROOKIE MISTAKES--- most of which can be avoided. There are lots of folks on Landracing.com that are willing to help---we have made the mistakes you do not have to---its yours for the research-- so that you can ask an informed question.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 09:43:08 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!