Author Topic: Drag Coefficients  (Read 9793 times)

Offline gasblender37

Drag Coefficients
« on: March 27, 2015, 10:12:45 AM »
I am looking for drag coefficients for the different bodies used in the modified roadster classes.
Thanks,
Skip
Skip

"Sometimes you get what you want and it is not what you expect."
"I reckon if this stuff was easy, everyone would be settin' records"

Offline Stan Back

Re: Drag Coefficients
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »
I'd guess that between 1923 and 1938 Ford (the most-popular make used) didn't do too many aero tests on their sub-sub-sonic roadster bodies -- which usually went down the road with a big top up.

And, as for use in Modified Roadsters, their aero probably depended on the shape of the builder's body fashioned from the firewall forward.  Hardly any two are alike.

If someone gave you a clue on their body, it probably wouldn't apply to someone else's same-year body -- and not be reliable to use for comparisons to other years only.

You've also gotta look at Streamliners -- where there are hardly any restrictions -- and notice that almost all of them are also unique.  (I'm not much help here, am I?)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 12:48:50 PM »
I think the closest shape to a 30's style roadster that there has been any aerodynamic testing on would be the Lotus 7 @ about 0.7.

Anything you chose is not likely to be much better, and it will definitely have a larger frontal area, but for estimates, I think that number would likely get you close.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 12:56:31 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 07:19:39 PM »
Even thou you may not like the look of them, get pictures of RO Yales Contrivance modifieds. You'll be chasing him anyway. To me they a bu-- ugly but I'm not in modified. One thing to consider is how the air leaves the design not only the hole it punches in the air...Good Luck..
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 09:57:14 PM »
Al I can say is............

F R O N T A L
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 11:43:35 PM »
Somewhere on this website there was this list by Dr Mayf, or Prof Mayf, that lists all sorts of drag coefficients.  Maybe someone remembers how to get it.  I forgot. 

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 11:58:14 PM »
Somewhere on this website there was this list by Dr Mayf, or Prof Mayf, that lists all sorts of drag coefficients.  Maybe someone remembers how to get it.  I forgot. 

Close! http://www.mayfco.com/tbls.htm  :-D

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Jim Phelps

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 09:04:02 AM »
Besides frontal area, the grille shell is important.  It is the most prominent front end feature.  In the applications I've seen, the grille area is blocked so it acts somewhat like a flat plate.  You want the minimum size and a round transition from front surface to side to promote flow attachment along the sides and top.  Some of the roadster grilles seem to have rounder edges than others.

Offline saltracer1

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 09:29:14 AM »
in modified roadster (the class he asked about) I believe you can make any kind of nose you like, forward of the firewall. "streamlining ahead of and including the cowl (4.I.1) is permitted" 2014 rulebook

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 12:25:54 PM »
Back to square one -- he's looking for the drag coefficients on the various Roadster BODIES.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 12:10:20 AM »
For Fords a 23 shoul be better than a 26/27 and on up......Contrivance is a 23
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Jim Phelps

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 09:53:29 AM »
in modified roadster (the class he asked about) I believe you can make any kind of nose you like, forward of the firewall. "streamlining ahead of and including the cowl (4.I.1) is permitted" 2014 rulebook

In the words of Rick Perry: "Oops".  In the future I'll read the OP's post and rules book more closely. Thanks.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 10:46:23 AM »
In re:  reading the rulebook more closely:  Now you have a better idea of why I always suggest buying at least three copies of the rulebook -- station one by your easy chair, one in the shop/garage, and one on the back of the toilet.  Whenever you're sitting down or working on the race vehicle -- read, read, and then read some more. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 11:08:38 AM »
I picked up my copy at the GG event and ordered 2 more when I sent in my test and tune entry the other day

yep the rule book controls our lives almost!!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 01:44:40 AM »
Re: the link in Reply#6. Does anybody know the legitimacy of drag coefficients in that table? The intro says they were derived by a "computer program"- whatever that means? It isn't clear to me what data they were based on.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020